Start by marking “House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)” as Want to Read:
House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure, #15)

House of Danger (Choose Your Own Adventure #15)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  26 reviews
WILL THE HOUSE OF DANGER BE YOUR BIGGEST CASE EVER? OR WILL IT BE YOUR LAST?

You are an accomplished young detective with several tough cases under your belt. Then comes a case that is as difficult as it is frightening. An anonymous caller begs for help. But before you can find out more, the line goes dead...

The phone rings again, and this time you are ready.
"Hello," you

Mass Market Paperback, 115 pages
Published August 1st 1982 by Random House Children's Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about House of Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House of Danger

Megan
"The chimps developed these egg-shaped flying machines you see in the garage," says the professor. "They planned to use them to fly all over the world, dropping money from the sky on many countries and destabilizing all of the world's economies -- the ultimate 'gorilla' warfare. After this, they had planned to become the controlling power in the world."
Peter Derk
In an on-going adventure to read one of these, I took a different tack. A real different one.

This one I read aloud to a group of about 75 5th grade boys. No, I didn't have to capture/enslave a group of children as part of an angry quest to actually reach the end of one of these. They were there by choice, or at least as much choice as one gets at age 12.

It was a scout camp, which reminded me of my own days in the cub scouts when we would have our two-day camp that consisted of pitching tents in
Benjamin Spurlock
I thought that I'd enjoy the set-up. I'm a sucker for the young detective facing paranormal situations, and some of the paths did work. But the rest of it... this book underscores one of the problems that early CYOA books had. The nature of the House of Danger's danger changes with each path, often in completely contradictory ways. In other words, there's no way to determine which path is safe or not, what you're in for, or what's going on.

In some stories, that could be used in a positive way, t
Daniel
It has been a long time since I read a Choose Your Own Adventure book. This was a fun one to dip my toes back into the water with (so to speak). One of the fun things about the book I enjoyed was how different the ending were (yes - I did all the endings). What goes from a mystery if you chose one path turns into a spy story if you chose another or a science fiction adventure if you chose a third. A fun book.
Weathervane
Off-the-wall -- and little resemblance of a plot. Some of the endings and paths, though, are just so darn wacky that it manages to be worth the read-through.

Contains both aliens and monkeys. Either awesome or terrible depending on your tastes.
Haley
THIS. IS. AWESOME. Where have these been all my life? I want to go out and buy ALL of them!

1st:

Score! First try ever, and I didn't have to turn past page 24 to solve the mystery without a single mishap. I single-handedly cracked a case about counterfeiters and holographic monkeys in four and a half hours. I'd make an absolutely awesome detective.

2nd:
Went again, took a more cautious route (ie: I waited for friends so they could be my backup, and I didn't go into the creepy house). This time I wen
Josiah
While the tendency of some gamebook writers to ignore internal plot consistency and logical sequence in their stories is unpopular with many fans of the genre, I actually don't mind when gamebooks deviate from perfect internal continuity to expand the perimeters of the story and allow for a greater variety of experiences and surprises. House of Danger certainly does not strictly adhere to a single path of continuity; once you step foot inside the mysterious glass house from which you received a ...more
Nya
amazingly got good ending the first time I tried!
Craig
Another Book Fair score, this one stayed with me for years. The cover was enough to hook me, and when I went back to get it all copies had been sold. I begged and begged the woman to get me another, going back every day until she knew I was serious and ready to shop. She relented and got me a copy, just to shut me up and not because I wanted to read it. Adults are funny that way.

The book still influences me and my work to this day.
Angela
Sep 18, 2012 Angela rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela by: BC in DC
Shelves: children-s, alien
not one of the better CYOA - sometimes the story didn't seem to fit with what I just read and I double checked the page I was supposed to go to. This particular story also had you going to several pages back and forth, without making a decision -- just "go to page 12" when you are on page 15...seemed like they could have kept the story going a little more fluid like.
Notdorothy
I was excited about "Choose your own adventure" coming to Kindle. I mean, the medium is perfect. However, I forgot that these are books for children. And that is who this book is for -- children. It entertained me for about five minutes, even with going back and choosing different answers. I'd welcome one written for adults, but I will skip more in this vein.
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The Choose Your Own Adventures are classic gamebooks, where the reader chooses the path through the story, often coming to different conclusions or plots depending on what they want to do at various forks. Reading through this was nostalgic, but I found it didn't grab me. Not sure how much is due to age and how much is due to this particular story.
This was a freebie on Kindle - finished all plot lines over the course of a drink. It reminded me of reading these books as a tween, which was kind of fun. Navigation is much easier on the Kindle - with a click of a button you go to the next story segment or back to your previous decision, with no shuffling around in the pages. Good memories.
Mina Rivera
i think this is a scary book. you get to choose what scary route you want to go. i think that the book was very entertaining and it makes me want to read the other ones. i think this is a very creative way for kids to read books.
Gavin
It was really good becuse I could chose whare I was going to go.
Rachel
I thought these choose your own adventure books were so much fun. I would read them several times through, trying to get all of the different possible endings and events...
Shannette
some missed opportunities that would have given the story more twists. None of the endings were at all satisfying. This book underestimates its reader!
Zack
These books are fun, but deadly. That old hag with the Venus Fly Traps is creepy. I was gobbled up by one of those plants.
Laura Nelson
This book has TONS of different endings!I loved this book so much,I tried it own on my sisters,My mom and my dad!
Jordan
Not bad it's confusing whe I lose my page then I get a wee bit pist and put the book down for a while
Dani
This one is my favorite out of all the choose your own adventure books I've read!
Maddy S
There's like no way to live! And what's with the monkeys? And super powers?
Marts  (Thinker)
Another 'Choose your own adventure' adventure #15 House of Danger.
Zak
It didn't make any sense when reading.
Brianna Hipes
Mar 12, 2009 Brianna Hipes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Teens/Adults
Recommended to Brianna by: My Dad
I LOVE THESE BOOKS!
Dee
Dee added it
Mar 18, 2015
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Vampire Express (Choose Your Own Adventure, #31)
  • Secret of the Pyramids (Choose Your Own Adventure, #19)
  • Secret of the Ninja (Choose Your Own Adventure, #66)
  • Inca Gold (Choose Your Own Adventure, #85)
  • Revolt Of The Dwarves (Endless Quest #5)
  • Search for Dinosaurs (Time Machine, #2)
  • Scent (Sensations, #1)
  • Cool Like That (So For Real, #4)
Raymond A. Montgomery (born 1936 in Connecticut) is an author and progenitor of the Choose Your Own Adventure interactive children's book series. Montgomery graduated from Williams College and went to graduate school at Yale University and New York University (NYU). Montgomery has devoted his life to teaching and education.
More about R.A. Montgomery...

Choose Your Own Adventure (1 - 10 of 185 books)
  • The Cave of Time (Choose Your Own Adventure, #1)
  • Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2)
  • By Balloon to the Sahara (Choose Your Own Adventure, #3)
  • Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4)
  • The Mystery Of Chimney Rock (Choose Your Own Adventure, #5)
  • Your Code Name Is Jonah (Choose Your Own Adventure #6)
  • The Third Planet from Altair (Choose Your Own Adventure, #7)
  • Deadwood City (Choose Your Own Adventure, #8)
  • Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey? (Choose Your Own Adventure, #9)
  • The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (Choose Your Own Adventure, #10)
Journey Under the Sea (Choose Your Own Adventure, #2) Space and Beyond (Choose Your Own Adventure, #4) The Abominable Snowman (Choose Your Own Adventure, #13) Mystery of the Maya (Choose Your Own Adventure, #11) Return to Atlantis (Choose Your Own Adventure, #78)