Start by marking “Beautiful Girlhood” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Girlhood

Beautiful Girlhood

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,685 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
This revised 1922 classic offers gentle guidance for preteen and teenage girls on how to become a godly woman. Full of charm and sentiment, it will help mother and daughter establish a comfortable rapport for discussions about building character, friendships, obedience, high ideals, a cheerful spirit, modest dress, a pure heart, and a consecrated life.
Published May 3rd 1999 by Great Expectations (first published January 1st 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Girlhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Girlhood

Jessica
Aug 31, 2010 Jessica rated it did not like it
I'm sure this book would have been very helpful to girls in the early 20th century, but not now. I'm a 14 year old girl and I would feel really silly acting the way this book suggests. It's not really Biblical like it claims it's just old fashioned. I mean who honestly would expect girls these days to dress and act like girls from 100 years ago? This book may be helpful to some people, but definitely not me.
junia
Sep 30, 2007 junia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kindred spirits
Shelves: fires-of-sancti
Susan bought this for me for my 20th birthday.
As I read it, I am not only carried away by the beautiful prose and lyrical instruction, but I am also thankful for the wisdom that age carries and passes down to its young.

"I would not chill the warmth and ardor of happy girlhood. What if I do know that the clouds and storms of life are just ahead and that its cares will bend her back and break her heart! Would they be any less if she knew? Soon enough the sorrows and pain will come. Laugh and play
Morgan
Jun 20, 2016 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I wish I'd read this when I was around 11. Even though I'm past the target age, I did still get a lot of worth out of it, and now I'm prepared to use it with my own future daughters.
Feb 16, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok
While this book provides an interesting study of early 20th Century ideals, I would definitely take its advice with a grain of salt. Beautiful Girlhood, first published in the 1920's and then edited in the 1990's is popular among homeschool and Christian school girls. I've had a copy since about 1999 and never read it until now. For a book on Christian character for pre-teen and early teen girls, it falls flat, in my opinion. This is mainly due to the fact that scripture references are sparse, o ...more
Bookworm
Jun 01, 2016 Bookworm rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Had some good points and lessons; I found it best reading two to three chapters only at a time.
Nickie
Oct 08, 2008 Nickie rated it really liked it
This little treasure is just what I'm needing. I have a desire to start a group for girls and I am finding ideas left and right.

This is a small treasure. Yet I have had ideas for a momschool club come to my mind and I think it's a little early yet for my girls or maybe not. As I prepare myself I'll probably find the times has passed quickly and my girls are ready.

Every character of personality and the development of girlhood into young womanhood is covered.

I wish I could give a copy to all women
Dixie Lee
" None of us can afford to be anything but what is good and pure and true!" A great book to read with your growing daughter to help her understand the changes in her body and spirit. Beautifully written.
Susan Callahan
Aug 30, 2014 Susan Callahan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You think this book is for young ladies. I am 53 and wanted to read this along with my 18 year old daughter.
I learned so much. I was not raised in a Christian home and learned so much from this book.
You are never too old to learn.
Lisa
Jan 09, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Emma and I are reading this together....so far, so good. This is a much easier read than Raising Maidens of Virtue.
Justine
Jun 23, 2009 Justine rated it really liked it
this book is really good and its great for bible stuy too!! I love it!!
Grace Payne
Nov 26, 2016 Grace Payne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although addressing girls and women of earlier decades, the principles and ideas and values learned from reading this book are great. Mabel Hale does a great job instructing and advising.
Jodi
Jul 10, 2015 Jodi rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable yet convicting study aimed at adolescent girls. It's an older book, written in a classic style with old-fashioned speech and has a quaint and appealing effect. As I read it I was somewhat shamed, as I lack or struggle with many of the characteristics laid out for girls to cultivate in preparation for womanhood. It's very Victorian, so while it feels old-fashioned as far as its relevance present-day, it's also extraordinarily timeless and its bygone era in no way diminishes ...more
Stephanie
Read this to the kids at lunchtime. This book was kind of all over the place for me, but overall I appreciated how it brought up many different areas to talk about and train my children in -- some that I hadn't thought much about yet. It covers friendship, modesty, industriousness, choosing a job, and lots of chapters about what it means to be a woman of virtue. Often the chapters were beautifully put, and I had to choke back a few tears. Many times I had to paraphrase the antiquated language be ...more
Rebekah Waldorff
Apr 22, 2013 Rebekah Waldorff rated it it was amazing
I've read this book twice. Once in my early teen years, and later on into them for refresher. My Mom tried to read this to me earlier than that but I was not ready for the concentrated wisdom.

Beautiful Girlhood was written for young ladies a long time ago. This does not mean it is not relevant today. Gender roles may have changed some over the years, but the inner essence of a young lady has not. This book gives gentle guidance as to what a young lady should strive for. It does not set harsh ou
Kalen
Jan 12, 2011 Kalen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an Original 1922 version of this book and I found it at my local museum's annual book sale. What caught my attention was the cover of this book. It looks very old (and it is) but it has an illustration on the cover which is not typical of books from this time period. Sadly my copy of this book is very damaged with stains and marking all over the cover and the binding coming apart.

This book does not apply to my life but I still enjoyed reading it and I was able to get a sense of what was
Gwyn
Oct 21, 2016 Gwyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Ooh how I love this book! I am so grateful Sarah introduced me to it ^_^ I believe this book simply MUST have been read by Rapunzel.. Anne Shirley... {Cinder}Ella... it expresses so many things that can be seen in their characters; traits that I wish to adopt. It teaches you in such a kind, flowery, old-fashioned way to be sunny and kind and lovely. And I'm sure I'll keep reading it much past my own girlhood, because I believe it timeless and beautiful. Read it!
Poiema
Sep 01, 2014 Poiema rated it it was ok
This book is widely used in homeschooling circles as a means of addressing feminine graces with young teenage daughters. While I appreciated some of the issues raised in the book, it never did engage my girls' interest. In fact, I sensed they endured it politely only to please me. It is somewhat antiquated in its approach and perhaps it might appeal to girls of a particular nature, but it was not a favorite here.
Talvi
Mar 30, 2014 Talvi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an excellent book. This book is excellent for girls, but it is also an excellent read for women of all ages. What an astounding reminder (especially in this day in age) of what it means to be a woman of noble character. We should all strive to achieve the ideals laid out in this book. If all women would adhere to these principles (biblical in nature), we would have a transformed society, for the better.
Gillian
May 29, 2013 Gillian rated it it was ok
I only rated this book a two, but that doesn't mean it was bad! I picked it up in the hopes of finding something similar to The Kings Daughter, And Other Stories For Girls. Sadly, it was disappointing in the fact that it wasn't That Book. I felt it was hard to get through, didn't hold my interest, and the narrator's voice could be a bit...patronizing...at times. Still, I think it's a great title in the Character Building genre, and the values expressed are spot on!
Wendy
Mar 15, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Read this sweet book to my girls a few short years ago; desiring to prepare them for the changes they would feel/ go through, and to give them hope and encouragement to grow up in Christ beautiful, mature, honorable young ladies. Now my youngest (13 year old) has pulled it off the shelf again and is using it in her own quiet time. Praying again for fresh perspective as age and interests have changed. Praying for a continued metamorphosis in my girls' lives. :)
Cori
Sep 30, 2011 Cori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-living
This is a great book for young girls, ages nine to nineteen. It is old-fashioned, but it does have relevance in society today, teaching girls to carry themselves with dignity and pride. Too many young girls make spectacles of themselves. This book describes the beauty in self-control and chaste behavior. It is also a great book for mothers of young girls as well.
Rebekah
Sep 10, 2016 Rebekah rated it it was ok
I really liked the language of the book--it's so flowery that you feel as if you're eating roses, and also the roses turned out to taste like lembas but more better--but its message is stressful, like, "Don't screw up in love! The emotional baggage will be super awkward when you finally get married!" For all of us normal, mortal human girls, the ideas from this book are just really strange.
Rkeddins
Reading this with my eldest daughter. So far there is good advice for my daughter. A great value is that there are many emotions that are discussed that are common to girls that a father just doesn't think of. On the down side, it could be far more Christ centered and explicitly biblical.

I would not trust my daughter to read it without my (or my wife's) supervision.
Makayla
May 03, 2013 Makayla rated it it was amazing
WOW!!!! What an excellent book!

Now this isn't really a story it's more of a Gide book for young girls.
But I loved the messages in it, the morals, the chapters that got to me an made me think, I really can improve myself quite a bit!

It is excellent book. I would defiantly recommend this book to those young woman our there that need a Gide.
Sadie
Aug 29, 2013 Sadie rated it really liked it
This was a thought-forming book for me during my late childhood/early teen years. Short chapters made it an easy read, while still full of thought provoking information, without being too heavy for the intended audience. I highly recommend it for any girl between the ages of 10-13 ... but it's worthwhile at any age. I consider it a staple for the bookshelf for any girl or woman.
Samuel Maina
I gave it a two star because I am not a girl. however the book has some insights into girlhood that any lady that is a girl needs to get familiar to.

Mabel Hale got me surrounded during this time when ladies are saying #mydressmychoice with very nice tibits on dressing habits for girlhood

Lorna
Nov 12, 2013 Lorna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So refreshing to read compared to modern books on puberty. The names and language are old-fashioned, but the advice is applicable. No biological details on tampons, shaving, anorexia, or drugs; but a lot about spiritual and emotional development, as well as encouraging a high ethical and moral standard.
Apzmarshl
Nov 06, 2014 Apzmarshl rated it it was amazing
Mads and I read this together. The language was a little flowery, circa 1920, so I read most of it to her. This gave us a great chance to talk about the topics presented in each chapter. I honestly wish I had read this years ago myself. It's just full of basic truth about becoming a lovely lady and laying the foundation now.
Kellie
Oct 21, 2009 Kellie rated it really liked it
This book was written to girl's who are not children anymore, but not yet young women. It was meant to inspire them to not waste the time they had from now until they would be required to take on the responsibilities of adulthood. I am previewing it for the time that I will share it with my daughters.

It was fun to read and gave me many ideas to talk to my girls about in a few years.
Kris Irvin
Dec 20, 2010 Kris Irvin rated it liked it
Yeah, probably every girl should read this before they turn 15. But there were some parts, even in the "modern" version, that had me rolling my eyes. The part where every girl should submit to her father without question? I could say something naughty about my dad here but I won't. So yeah, read it, but take it with a grain of salt.
What you liked most about this book. 4 22 May 02, 2013 07:01PM
  • Ten Girls Who Made History
  • So Much More
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • The Princess and the Kiss: A Story of God's Gift of Purity
  • The Way Home: Beyond Feminism, Back to Reality
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Sister Wendy on Prayer
  • The Lost Art of True Beauty: The Set-Apart Girl's Guide to Feminine Grace
  • Secret Keeper: The Delicate Power of Modesty
  • A Young Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Praise Her in the Gates

“Womanhood is a wonderful thing. In womankind we find the mothers of the race.There is no man so great, nor none sunk so low, but once he lay a helpless, innocent babe in a woman's arms and was dependent on her love and care for his existence. It is woman who rocks the cradle of the world and holds the first affections of mankind. She possesses a power beyond that of a king on his throne.
...Womanhood stands for all that is pure and clean and noble. She who does not make the world better for having lived in it has failed to be all that a woman should be.”
182 likes
“Home is a little kingdom with rulers, laws, and subjects, each with a part to perform in order that life there shall be perfect.” 8 likes