Start by marking “Beautiful Girlhood” as Want to Read:
Beautiful Girlhood

Beautiful Girlhood

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,426 ratings  ·  70 reviews
This revised 1922 classic offers gentle guidance for preteen and teenage girls on how to become a godly woman. Full of charm and sentiment, it will help mother and daughter establish a comfortable rapport for discussions about building character, friendships, obedience, high ideals, a cheerful spirit, modest dress, a pure heart, and a consecrated life.
Published May 3rd 1999 by Great Expectations (first published January 1st 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Beautiful Girlhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beautiful Girlhood

Sep 30, 2007 junia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kindred spirits
Shelves: fires-of-sancti
Susan bought this for me for my 20th birthday.
As I read it, I am not only carried away by the beautiful prose and lyrical instruction, but I am also thankful for the wisdom that age carries and passes down to its young.

"I would not chill the warmth and ardor of happy girlhood. What if I do know that the clouds and storms of life are just ahead and that its cares will bend her back and break her heart! Would they be any less if she knew? Soon enough the sorrows and pain will come. Laugh and play
I'm sure this book would have been very helpful to girls in the early 20th century, but not now. I'm a 14 year old girl and I would feel really silly acting the way this book suggests. It's not really Biblical like it claims it's just old fashioned. I mean who honestly would expect girls these days to dress and act like girls from 100 years ago? This book may be helpful to some people, but definitely not me.
This little treasure is just what I'm needing. I have a desire to start a group for girls and I am finding ideas left and right.

This is a small treasure. Yet I have had ideas for a momschool club come to my mind and I think it's a little early yet for my girls or maybe not. As I prepare myself I'll probably find the times has passed quickly and my girls are ready.

Every character of personality and the development of girlhood into young womanhood is covered.

I wish I could give a copy to all women
We used this book for a bible study. It is an incredible book that is amazingly written. Mabel Hale did a great job with it. While reading it you feel like you know her. She wrote it for her daughter and her daughter's friends. maybe that's why you feel like she wrote it specfically for you.

"Beautiful Girlhood" may have been written over seventy years ago, but it still deals with the issues that modern girls experience.
Susan Callahan
You think this book is for young ladies. I am 53 and wanted to read this along with my 18 year old daughter.
I learned so much. I was not raised in a Christian home and learned so much from this book.
You are never too old to learn.
Dixie Lee
" None of us can afford to be anything but what is good and pure and true!" A great book to read with your growing daughter to help her understand the changes in her body and spirit. Beautifully written.
Emma and I are reading this far, so good. This is a much easier read than Raising Maidens of Virtue.
Jun 23, 2009 Justine rated it 4 of 5 stars
this book is really good and its great for bible stuy too!! I love it!!
This was an enjoyable yet convicting study aimed at adolescent girls. It's an older book, written in a classic style with old-fashioned speech and has a quaint and appealing effect. As I read it I was somewhat shamed, as I lack or struggle with many of the characteristics laid out for girls to cultivate in preparation for womanhood. It's very Victorian, so while it feels old-fashioned as far as its relevance present-day, it's also extraordinarily timeless and its bygone era in no way diminishes ...more
Read this sweet book to my girls a few short years ago; desiring to prepare them for the changes they would feel/ go through, and to give them hope and encouragement to grow up in Christ beautiful, mature, honorable young ladies. Now my youngest (13 year old) has pulled it off the shelf again and is using it in her own quiet time. Praying again for fresh perspective as age and interests have changed. Praying for a continued metamorphosis in my girls' lives. :)
Read this to the kids at lunchtime. This book was kind of all over the place for me, but overall I appreciated how it brought up many different areas to talk about and train my children in -- some that I hadn't thought much about yet. It covers friendship, modesty, industriousness, choosing a job, and lots of chapters about what it means to be a woman of virtue. Often the chapters were beautifully put, and I had to choke back a few tears. Many times I had to paraphrase the antiquated language be ...more
Such an excellent book. This book is excellent for girls, but it is also an excellent read for women of all ages. What an astounding reminder (especially in this day in age) of what it means to be a woman of noble character. We should all strive to achieve the ideals laid out in this book. If all women would adhere to these principles (biblical in nature), we would have a transformed society, for the better.
Mads and I read this together. The language was a little flowery, circa 1920, so I read most of it to her. This gave us a great chance to talk about the topics presented in each chapter. I honestly wish I had read this years ago myself. It's just full of basic truth about becoming a lovely lady and laying the foundation now.
Rebekah Waldorff
I've read this book twice. Once in my early teen years, and later on into them for refresher. My Mom tried to read this to me earlier than that but I was not ready for the concentrated wisdom.

Beautiful Girlhood was written for young ladies a long time ago. This does not mean it is not relevant today. Gender roles may have changed some over the years, but the inner essence of a young lady has not. This book gives gentle guidance as to what a young lady should strive for. It does not set harsh ou
Samuel Maina
I gave it a two star because I am not a girl. however the book has some insights into girlhood that any lady that is a girl needs to get familiar to.

Mabel Hale got me surrounded during this time when ladies are saying #mydressmychoice with very nice tibits on dressing habits for girlhood
Our Church (of seven families =P) has a Beautiful Girlhood Bible study. I enjoy it immensely (love that word...)and have learned so much! Recommended for group studying!
A charming devotional study for moms and daughters; I've read through this book with both my girls and found it to be most profitable!
I have an Original 1922 version of this book and I found it at my local museum's annual book sale. What caught my attention was the cover of this book. It looks very old (and it is) but it has an illustration on the cover which is not typical of books from this time period. Sadly my copy of this book is very damaged with stains and marking all over the cover and the binding coming apart.

This book does not apply to my life but I still enjoyed reading it and I was able to get a sense of what was
I only rated this book a two, but that doesn't mean it was bad! I picked it up in the hopes of finding something similar to The Kings Daughter, And Other Stories For Girls. Sadly, it was disappointing in the fact that it wasn't That Book. I felt it was hard to get through, didn't hold my interest, and the narrator's voice could be a times. Still, I think it's a great title in the Character Building genre, and the values expressed are spot on!
This book is widely used in homeschooling circles as a means of addressing feminine graces with young teenage daughters. While I appreciated some of the issues raised in the book, it never did engage my girls' interest. In fact, I sensed they endured it politely only to please me. It is somewhat antiquated in its approach and perhaps it might appeal to girls of a particular nature, but it was not a favorite here.
I really liked the language of the book--it's so flowery that you feel as if you're eating roses, and also the roses turned out to taste like lembas but more better--but its message is stressful, like, "Don't screw up in love! The emotional baggage will be super awkward when you finally get married!" For all of us normal, mortal human girls, the ideas from this book are just really strange.
This book was written to girl's who are not children anymore, but not yet young women. It was meant to inspire them to not waste the time they had from now until they would be required to take on the responsibilities of adulthood. I am previewing it for the time that I will share it with my daughters.

It was fun to read and gave me many ideas to talk to my girls about in a few years.
This was a thought-forming book for me during my late childhood/early teen years. Short chapters made it an easy read, while still full of thought provoking information, without being too heavy for the intended audience. I highly recommend it for any girl between the ages of 10-13 ... but it's worthwhile at any age. I consider it a staple for the bookshelf for any girl or woman.
This is a great book for young girls, ages nine to nineteen. It is old-fashioned, but it does have relevance in society today, teaching girls to carry themselves with dignity and pride. Too many young girls make spectacles of themselves. This book describes the beauty in self-control and chaste behavior. It is also a great book for mothers of young girls as well.
Reading this with my eldest daughter. So far there is good advice for my daughter. A great value is that there are many emotions that are discussed that are common to girls that a father just doesn't think of. On the down side, it could be far more Christ centered and explicitly biblical.

I would not trust my daughter to read it without my (or my wife's) supervision.
WOW!!!! What an excellent book!

Now this isn't really a story it's more of a Gide book for young girls.
But I loved the messages in it, the morals, the chapters that got to me an made me think, I really can improve myself quite a bit!

It is excellent book. I would defiantly recommend this book to those young woman our there that need a Gide.
Kris Irvin
Yeah, probably every girl should read this before they turn 15. But there were some parts, even in the "modern" version, that had me rolling my eyes. The part where every girl should submit to her father without question? I could say something naughty about my dad here but I won't. So yeah, read it, but take it with a grain of salt.
Kezia Ramsey
"It is woman who rocks the cradle of the world and holds the first affections of mankind. She possesses a power beyond that of a king I his throne." - Mabel Hale
This quote embodies the spirit of this guide to a pure girlhood. It is truly a beautiful explanation of the transition from girlhood to womanhood.
So refreshing to read compared to modern books on puberty. The names and language are old-fashioned, but the advice is applicable. No biological details on tampons, shaving, anorexia, or drugs; but a lot about spiritual and emotional development, as well as encouraging a high ethical and moral standard.
What you liked most about this book. 4 22 May 02, 2013 07:01PM
  • So Much More
  • Raising Maidens of Virtue: A Study of Feminine Loveliness for Mothers and Daughters
  • Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends: How to Fight the Good Fight at Home
  • The Hidden Art of Homemaking
  • Ten Girls Who Changed the World
  • The Princess and the Kiss: A Story of God's Gift of Purity
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Passionate Housewives Desperate for God: Fresh Vision for the Hopeful Homemaker
  • Mother
  • The Lost Art of True Beauty
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery

“Womanhood is a wonderful thing. In womankind we find the mothers of the race.There is no man so great, nor none sunk so low, but once he lay a helpless, innocent babe in a woman's arms and was dependent on her love and care for his existence. It is woman who rocks the cradle of the world and holds the first affections of mankind. She possesses a power beyond that of a king on his throne.
...Womanhood stands for all that is pure and clean and noble. She who does not make the world better for having lived in it has failed to be all that a woman should be.”
“Home is a little kingdom with rulers, laws, and subjects, each with a part to perform in order that life there shall be perfect.” 7 likes