Start by marking “The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven” as Want to Read:
The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven

The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven (The Immortal Iron Fist #2)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  914 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Once a generation, the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven align on a plane far beyond the ken of mortal men. It is here that these cities send their Immortal Warriors to compete against one another in a combat tournament to end all tournaments...and it is here that Daniel Rand was spirited to in his darkest hour. Generations of mystical war traditions await their chance to pro...more
Published June 11th 2008 by Marvel (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 2

SO GOOD UGH.

I love Matt Fraction's storytelling. The pacing is perfect, and he always manages to write characters that you care about. Even a character who appears in only one scene is a rich part of the larger tapestry. This combined with David Aja's art (Aja is artistic patronus, sorrynotsorry)and the wonderfulness that is Danny Rand's character makes this one of my all time favorite graphic novels.
Bill
Yeah, this was pretty great... a supernatural Hong Kong "lotsa people getting kicked in impressively creative ways" movie cross-pollinated with some of the cooler Marvel super hero comic tropes (bajillions of HYDRA goons, Luke Cage's favorite exclamation, awesome pseudo-science, etc.). If you like things that are awesome, you'll enjoy this. If you don't, I don't really have time for your shenanigans.
Nathan
If you're a big fan of Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon you'll love the second volume of the Immortal Iron Fist. There are several nods to the old classic in this action packed story line. There are new characters introduced in this book that expands the Iron Fist universe and each are unique and don't feel like typecast characters at all. The contestants in the tournament come from the different capital cities and each has a distinctive personality. Each has his/her fair share of screen time in the...more
Michael Emond
This is my second time reading this book and my second impression fits my first one. Fraction and Brubaker seem to be writing two different stories here and they don't pull them together in a satisfying way. Aja's art is incredible but it seems he left for the last two issues (or fell behind schedule) and they suffer greatly because of that. The last fight scene which should have been a show stopper, because of the inferior art, is more a waa waa (trombone sound).
I love the idea of the tournam...more
Todd
I've been wanting to read this book for a good while. Amazon recommended it to me of all things. Based on my rating on Batman graphic novels.

Iron Fist was always a character of the Marvel universe I was interested in. Sadly I never really picked up much of his individual comics and mostly caught him in guest star roles.

This book series reintroduces us to the character and the mythos of Iron Fist. It also expands that mythos, and re-imagines some of the main characters. For me this is a win all t...more
Andrew
Okay, this is coming from someone who hardly knew the backstory of Iron Fist at all. It certainly took me a while to understand the full landscape of his world while reading this series, but by the end of the second volume I felt I understood enough of what came before. That may sound a bit too late, but I more liked it. Especially now knowing that I would feel I would understand the whole by the end.

By the end of the first volume I found myself enjoying myself well enough, but still a little re...more
John Wiswell
May 01, 2008 John Wiswell rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Manga readers, comics readers, fantasy readers, martial arts fans
One of the best modern comics continues. Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction start to cash in on this little pocket Fantasy world they've invented with intriguing fighting styles, the politics of Heaven and a continuation of their unique blend of pulpy American comics and martial arts manga. Given that the art style is different from either of their source materials, this really comes across as a great experiment in storytelling. It's pretty surprising Marvel would even give it a shot.

It's hard to tal...more
Chris Marsh
When I read Iron Fist in the '70s, it was cool. I loved Iron Fist. However, in retrospect, years later, I questioned having some non-Asian taking on a strong dominant role in an Asian story. Matt Fraction's and Ed Brubaker's stories of all the Iron Fist is almost race-blind casting. Iron Fist was cool for me again. I can't wait for the Netflix series and see who they cast as Danny Rand. "Oh! My name is Daniel Rand. I am Iron Fist and I know kung fu. Hi-yahh"
Llc
Muy buen segundo tomo en que padres e hijos juegan papeles fundamentales. La rendición es un tema clave, y no todos la entienden como algo que, en ocasiones, puede ser necesario para volver con más energía. El siguiente tomo promete mucho si se sigue desarrollando el arco del torneo y el pasado de Wendell.
Federiken Masters
Jan 20, 2012 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans de los autores y del personaje
Recommended to Federiken by: Que me gustó el #1
Y sigue todo el pochoclo de artes marciales, con la idea de un Tenkaichi Budokai a lo DragonBall pero una ejecución más cercana a la peli esa de VanDamme donde un chino malo dejaba paralítico a su amigo gordo y él lo quería vengar poniendo caras de loco y pegando en cámara lenta. Claro que tanto los personajes como la onda en general están mejor en esta historia, pero eso no quita que me haya traído a Yanclod a la memoria. En cuanto a la parte de las peleas: bastante pintorescas, pero a años luz...more
Sophie
To be honest, I'm having a hard time explaining just why I love this book so damn much. It's just really, really good. For one, I fell head over heels for Danny Rand, a.k.a. the Iron Fist (and again, I couldn't exactly explain why, I just did). I think part of it is the way history and the present are weaved together, something I, when done well, I always love. And while I never really cared for martial arts stuff one way or the other, my basic reaction here was, "Fuck yeah!". This is just genui...more
Pturingan
Tremendously fun book! I recommend that you read the first volume (The Last Iron Fist Story) to fully appreciate the entire Davos storyline though. Enough "seeds" were also planted to get me interested in upcoming storylines. Furthermore, the introduction of all the new characters was done quite nicely and doesn't really overwhelm you and I can't wait to see where they go from here. There's nothing really new here if you're already a fan of anime or martial arts films but it's still quite entert...more
Chris Hamburger
I think Iron Fist is a cool ass character. He's like a Bruce Lee kind of character from NYC. He's got this special power that he uses to thwart a guy looking to destroy the seven cities, a realm separate from Earth. During a tournament where is fights the other immortal weapons of teh other 6 cities, he discovers with the help of some people, there is a plot to destroy "heaven". You should read vol. 1 for continuity.
***Dave Hill
Collecting the 2007-2008 issues of the title, Danny Rand gets stucked into a tournament in K'un-Lun against the Immortal Weapons of the other six Capital Cities of Heaven. Lovely martial arts and worldbuilding here, with some major plots, politics, and brouhaha starting in the background and moving to the foreground y the time all is done. Solid, if somewhat busy story.
Mike
Still not a huge fan of the while Iron Fist mythology, but the story has a nice arc and some pretty broad sweeps of history (in the Iron Fist universe). Hit or miss art tho I gotta say - maybe I've been spoiled recently, but some of this stuff was downright *slapdash*. Oh and one more thing: Luke Cage doesn't swear, so why is he being bleeped out here?
Ron
Jun 03, 2008 Ron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves action movies.
The reinvention of Iron Fist as the inheritor of a rich pulp fiction legacy continues, in a story that's best described as a mashup of the best Doc Savage adventures with Enter the Dragon. Awesome fight scenes, a relentless series of plot twists, and some of the best dialogue in comics.
Sean
I haven't read an Iron Fist comic in years, if ever, but II have to say I want to check them all out now. This was a classic Kung-Fu action tale that would make a great movie. It touches slightly with the Marvel Universe but could easily stand alone. Great stuff!!
Ross
Danny Rand is called back to Kun'Lun to fight in the tournament against the other six cities of heaven, learning of threats from outside and inside as he does so.
An excellent story, Brubaker and Fraction do excellent work with the character.
Braden A.
Not only does this provide a great stand-alone kung-fu story, it also serves to enhance the first volume and continue plotlines and themes in the series.

Really enjoying this, and can't wait for volume 3 to be released.
Meghan Wilson
Loved this one...it was a total geek fanboy (girl) issue though with a tournament/showdown plot. It was really fun to see all the different warriors and the cool attributes Fraction gave them.
Matt
Deepening the Iron Fist into not just a legacy character, but part of a tournament of death was a stroke of genius. More great comics from Brubaker/Fraction and a host of great artists.
Kevin Fanning
EPIC EPIC EPIC BEST EVER

THE PRINCE OF ORPHANS

THE BRIDE OF NINE SPIDERS

THE SEVEN CITIES UNITE TO FORM THE HEART OF HEAVEN

SO BEST
sixthreezy
After a tremendous first volume, not quite sure why I didn't get into this one as much.. Definitely an OKAY though.
Lesley
Oh wow I am LOVING this so far. And it sucked me in right up to the end. Beautiful compelling art, great story.
Alpha
Love the art and flavor/atmosphere, as well as the fighting, but the story just doesn't match up.
Kristen Northrup
More pulpy kung-fun fun. Very sad they've already changed writers and there will be no more.
Elton
All the fun of a classic kung-fu movie wrapped up in a tasty graphic novel shell!
Shannon Appelcline
Great characterization, great pulp action, nice backstory, and fun Kung Fu too.
Michael
Awesomeness just made awesomer with Vol 2.

Read it. its....awesome
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
  • The Immortal Iron Fist, Vol. 4: The Mortal Iron Fist
  • Guardians Of The Galaxy, Vol. 2: War Of Kings Book 1
  • Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
  • Doctor Strange: The Oath
  • Annihilation, Book Three
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central, Sleeper, Uncanny X-Men and X-Men: Deadly Genesis, and The Authority, and for helping...more
More about Ed Brubaker...
Batman: The Man Who Laughs Criminal, Vol. 1: Coward Messiah Complex Captain America: Winter Soldier, Vol. 1 Captain America: The Death of Captain America, Vol. 1: The Death of the Dream