Start by marking “The Black Stallion and Flame (Black Stallion, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion and Flame (Black Stallion, #15)

The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion #15)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  4,676 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
A plane crash leaves the Black stranded on a desert island with that other legendary Farley stallion--Flame. Their struggle for power turns into a struggle for survival when the two horses fight a deadly vampire bat.
Published 1974 by Knight Books (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion and Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion and Flame

Sarah McC
And finally, what you’ve all been waiting for: THE BLACK AND FLAME MEET! [dramatic music]

So seriously, I’m beginning to think that Farley was very bored of writing these stories. He really seems to have gone off the deep end. At least there were no extraterrestrials this time. Instead, he incorporates a plane wreck, the idea that the Black would bypass multiple islands and instead find the secret hidden sea entrance of Flame’s island, a rabid vampire bat, and the mysterious beyond-comprehension
Melody
Sep 04, 2012 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
9/2012 Oh, man. I re-read this before I noticed it was on my never-again shelf. Seriously: never again! This one is crammed full of cliches and ridiculousness. Stay away.

8/2011 Didn't hold up so well, sadly. A rabid vampire bat? Rilly? *sigh* So many things wrong here, starting with the bat's behaviour. No, no, no!

All the Flame books disappointed me this go-round, and they won't be staying on the shelf any longer.
Christine
Dec 12, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently found this book among my childhood keepsakes. In rereading it again 40+ years later It obviously doesn't hold up to the same level of entertainment it did as a young girl. An apparent favorite, if I had reviewed it then, I no doubt would have given it 5 stars.
Jessica Timmons
Jul 30, 2011 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Lee
Oct 09, 2016 Jessica Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a awesome book!!!!!
Mirrani
Aug 17, 2014 Mirrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was never a fan of Flame's books. The first one was okay, but after that things kind of went far down hill. That said, I think of this one more as the Black's story than Flame's. Still, there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to say we've visited the island for the last time, otherwise the getting there feels a little forced. I don't have much trouble getting past that in this book, though. Even though it is a little contrived, the action moves along and we get to imagine the thi ...more
Quadragon27
Still trying to decide exactly what I think about this book. It has the problem that a lot of the other Black Stallion books seem to have, which is sometimes I feel like the author is running out of ideas. In this case I was frustrated that he felt the need to once again have the Black and Alec involved in a plane crash, although I realize it was just a plot device to bring the Black together with the wild Flame. From there he introduces the conflicts in the story: Alec looking for his horse, a ...more
Wendy
Aug 23, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses-fiction
Um, a vampire bat. And a plane crash into the ocean.

Some of this was just...not really...likely. I don't want to say it's implausible or that it couldn't have happened, because it could have, stranger things have happened, it's just highly unlikely. I wish he would have found a more...realistic, though I hesitate to use the term, way of bringing the two together for the first time.

I did believe Flame and the Black teaming up against the bat because even in animals, a common enemy is a uniting fo
Tania
Aug 05, 2016 Tania rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I always love reading about The Black Stallion, my favorite times are those between him and his beloved boy Alec. The Black Stallion and Flame keeps them separated for most of the story, and so it's not as enjoyable for me as some of the other books in the series. Even so, I couldn't skip it in a reread of the series.

The Black Stallion and Alec Ramsey find themselves crashing into the sea once more. This time they are separated, and both fight for their lives in this sort-of-thrilling adve
Rena Sherwood
I suppose it was inevitable for Walter Farley to have his two most famous creations -- the Black Stallion and the Island Stallion -- meet in not one, but two books, where the stallions compete in the two things they are best at -- fighting and racing. Here is the fighting challenge book.

I absolutely adored this book as a kid, but as an adult I cannot help but wince at how Farley turned the series into a caricature of itself. Here's another plane crash, another stallion fight, yada yada. And, to
Steve Stone
May 09, 2016 Steve Stone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book when I was a child. Walter Farley had a way of speaking to me. His horse books have an odd romantic aspect to them that helped develop my appreciation for horses as a youngster. I'd recommend any Farley book to youngsters growing up. Today they speak to a different day and time. A better day and time, when things were simpler; society, ethics, and people's belief in a concept of right.
Miriam Cook
Sep 22, 2015 Miriam Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walter Farley is a great author and makes the Black Stallion books great. The black has seen Flame before but now they meet and what a meet it is. This book kept me reading and guessing. It will captivate you and hold you till the end. Another great by Mr. Farley. Recommended for anyone who loves the Black Stallion series.
Ruth
Apr 24, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohh, I loved this book as an 11 year old. I even wrote an (in retrospect) extremely amatuerish fanfiction for it, back before fanfiction.net even existed... The idea of the Black and Flame squaring off in a fight tickled me...
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Lynne Stringer
It can get tricky when a writer decides to combine two favourite horses from slightly different worlds. It was still enjoyable though, although not as much as others in the series. I could sense Mr Farley's frustration in deciding how to end it by the way Alec talks about the race at the end.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Totally ridiculous. I'm amazed at how hot and cold this series runs as I've journeyed on my re-read. The Black and Flame "team up" (no joke) to fight off a rabid vampire bat (again, no joke). Stupid book.
Abigail
Jan 31, 2013 Abigail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was really good(Along with other of Walter Farleys books) But I like some of the other black stallion books better....
Still A favorite!!
Cheryl Rodrigues
The very first book I bought in the series through scholastic books via school. After I got it I found out it was part of a set and the rest is history lol.
A.X. Rhodes
I don't know how Farley kept all of these horse stories so interesting. Another good Stallion book.
Phair
Sep 07, 2009 Phair rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-books
Found my diary from 1962 with a list of books read complete with ratings. Alas, no comments. I recall spending my allowance buying every Farley book I could find. Still have many.
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Kristal
One of my mom's friends had found this book and gave it to me to read because she knew I liked horses. I think I will reread this book again sometime.
Kathryn Morford
Kathryn Morford rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2008
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Alexis Matthews
Alexis Matthews rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Abbi White
Abbi White rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2013
Genifer
Genifer rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Outlaw Red
  • The Blind Colt
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Pride's Last Race (Thoroughbred, #10)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)