Start by marking “So Far” as Want to Read:
So Far

So Far

Kelsey Grammer is one of America's best-loved performers - a Shakespearean actor who became an instant celebrity when he joined the cast of Cheers and went on to expand his legion of fans with his own top-rated, Emmy Award-winning show, Frasier. But Kelsey Grammer could never be confused with Dr. Frasier Crane, the uptight, buttoned-down psychiatrist he plays on television ...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged
Published by Media Books Audio Publishing (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about So Far, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So Far

Jason Koivu
Audiobooks have been a fantastic way for me to pass the time when stuck doing housework, yardwork and any other sort of long, dreary thing involving the word "work." They make it possible to muscle through a dry read and, because I'm able to get through so many more books than I otherwise would, audiobooks occasionally get me reading something outside of my comfort zone and I think that's a good thing.

The first audiobook I ever listened to was Kelsey Grammer's confessional So Far.... It was mom
Christy
Jan 17, 2012 Christy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only those who are incredibly, incredibly curious and don't mind a bit of disappointment
I picked this book up for a dollar at Goodwill, excited to get some insight to an actor who I thought must surely be brilliant. Sadly, I didn't really get any. Grammer has certainly had many experiences that would provide for a very interesting (if quite sad) memoir, but they're glossed over so quickly that it's about as emotional as reading a Wikipedia article on his life. He does stop to mention personal pain, but it feels so very distant that there are few moments where the reader feels truly ...more
Becky
Apr 05, 2015 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
Let me just start by saying that many parts of this book deserve 5 stars. When it comes to the ability to write the self-aggrandizing statements of a megalomaniac, Kelsey Grammar is second to none. He's able to convince himself of anything and everything. The best part is that these sentences come out of nowhere. For example: As "The Kels" as he likes to refer to himself, is describing a time when he was riding his motorcycle he announces, nonchalantly that he got hit by lightening. No talk of h ...more
Larissa Rose
I admit that I read this book out of curiosity because I saw it mentioned on a blog as an example of a terrible celebrity memoir. And I was pleasantly surprised. He comes across as a little pompous and full of himself at times, but also open and honest. I also admire his determination and his sense that his life has inherent meaning and purpose.
molly Matthews
Apr 21, 2007 molly Matthews rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone alone in a locked room with only this book to read and six hours to kill
okay, i admit it. one night at work i had no reading materials and this book was there. i read it cover to cover in under two hours. i laughed out loud. this book was hysterical. surely not in the way mr. grammer intended it to be. i don't recommend it, per se. but it has some great one-liners that reveal the twisted psychology behind the man. enjoy!
Mary
Jan 18, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes non-fiction
Recommended to Mary by: Bookmooch
Everyone who has ever watched television, probably knows of the series Cheers, and of its successful spin-off, Frasier, where the Emmy Award-winning actor Kelsey Grammer played the role of psychiatrist Frasier Crane. What may not be so well-known to the public is more about the star's personal life. In a story that is provocative, heartwarming and hysterical, Kelsey Grammer finally sets the record straight on his often painful yet always uplifting life. Behind-the-scenes stories from his profess ...more
Tima
Don't read this book if you want to like Kelsey Grammer afterwards. He is much like his famous character, Frasier. Pompous, selfish, a braggart who truly finds himself a gift to all. He spends most of the book gloating of himself and skims over the top of all the things that humanize him. The horrible loss of his sister, his grandparents, his life with his mother and father. If he had elaborated on his life stories rather than his celebrity ones, this book would've been brilliant.

I think the key
Dawn
Jul 08, 2008 Dawn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies, 2008
eh...not the best thing i ever read, nor the worst...kind of boring, there was like maybe 1 or 2 chapters on "cheers"...not so much a biography...was mostly his retelling of what he learned in therapy and arrogance about his acting ability...kinda pointless, in my opinion. his therapist should get writing credit.
Robin
Jun 22, 2007 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only sarcastically
Once when locked in a room and trapped under something heavy, I read this entire book. Actually I wish that were my excuse. Read this only if you find yourself in the situation mentioned above, or if you need reasons to detest Kelsey Grammer. Ruined Frasier for me! Plum ruined.
Db
Jun 07, 2013 Db rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read
Brock Williams
Aug 14, 2009 Brock Williams rated it it was ok
i chose some strange audio books to listen to sometimes, because that's all there was at the library.
Karlton
Sep 24, 2011 Karlton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed hearing Kelsey read - he should do more audiobooks!
Jonah Schrowang
Jun 20, 2017 Jonah Schrowang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad Grammer has never felt so good! Patiently awaiting the sequel, cause Kels cuts off in the middle of his Frasier run, and barely mentions Down Periscope. Boneheaded move, Kelsey! I give this book two tossed salads, and three scrambled eggs.
Jonathan Berman
I'm not sure I completely trust one aspect of Kelsey Grammer's autobiography, "So Far." Grammer blames every divorce on the wife, he takes no responsibility for his failed marriages. He approaches them as if he was a victim of a crazy woman and he had the sensibility to call it quits... but the complete absence of any remorse or responsibility is what gives me some pause, but also the way he talks of women is one of forced respect. He loves a beautiful woman, a dancer, appearances, but never spe ...more
Nathaniel
Well, it's the autobiography of a guy who was only really known for doing one thing (playing Frasier Crane), but it was written only three years into the show Frasier, which ended up running for eleven years. Yes, he talks about Cheers and about his incredibly unlucky early life, but the timing of this book's release seems really odd because most of what a reader today would want to read about hadn't happened yet.

That issue aside, as celebrity autobiographies go this one is well-written and com
Donna
Apr 26, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can watch Fraiser over and over and not get tired of the show. Between Kelsey and David I adore them both.

I’ve been meaning to read Kelsey’s book for the longest time, finally buying it at book sale. Since I’m a fan, I was not disappointed. I have read quite a few autobiographies and only two annoyed me. It’s my opinion that an actor’s life is tough. Whether it was the studio system or the present day it can’t be easy to survive and maintain a relationship, much less a job that’s always at the
Linda
Aug 04, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book reaffirms my suspicion that many actors are not acting, but rather just being themselves. It is not “so far” a stretch for Kelsey Grammer to play essentially himself as the egocentric and self-absorbed Frasier Crane. The book covers the first 4 decades of Grammer’s life. If you are interested in the two since (the book was printed in ’95), I suggest you Google So Far 2.0; i.e., Wikipedia. Tossing this back into to the Friends of the Library donation stack, which, coincidentall
Tom Schulte
Oct 15, 2012 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was never more than mildly interested in "Cheers" and as such I was only dimly aware of his Frazier character and don't think seen nary an episode of the later "Frazier" sitcom. Still, I saw such positive reviews of this autobiography, I thought I'd give it a try. I am glad I did, especially with this audiobook effectively read by the author. It's a great performance and a honest and revealing assessment of a life full of tragedy, hope, and triumph.
Lucy Furr
I'm a huge fan of Frasier, so it pains me to say this, as I think Kelsey Grammer is a great actor, but I was very disappointed by this book. He has a great many things to say, but they are all barely glanced over, there is no depth to the stories he tells, instead it's more like he's just listing off the events of his life. This probably could have been better as a longer, more detailed book, but as it is, it's not very enjoyable.
Michelle
Jan 24, 2008 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not the kind of book I usually read, or have ever read, but I ended up with it in a stack of books I got at a thrift store while out-of-state. It was interesting, though, to see the process of "making it" in such a competitive field. It was sad, however, to see the tragedy that has struck the life of this fellow human being, and the pain and emptiness in many parts of his life. (Language was rough a few times.)
John Peel
I've enjoyed "Frasier" (fro the most part), so I finally got around to reading star Kelsey Grammer's autobiography. I have yo give him points for being willing to expose himself as something of a jerk. The book tends to read like an excuse for his bad behavior. Does it succeed? Not entirely, but you do feel as though you understand him a little more - and like him a little less.
Ken
Jul 10, 2012 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1994
I enjoyed reading this book and learned a lot about the actor's early life. The TV show CHEERS that ran from 1982-1993 coincided with my early adult life, and I have memories of coming home from evening college classes to catch this show.
JV
Jul 24, 2010 JV rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in eighth grade. The only reason I brought it home from the city library was because I thought it'd be a funny book to be seen reading. I ended up really liking it. Any book you read in Kelsey Grammer's voice (a.k.a. Sideshow Bob's voice) is a winner. "GOOD LORD!"
Danice
Interesting read. After reading exclusively history books the past several months, I decided to indulge in some "trashy" literature. I read this after I read the unauthorized biography which was written at the same time (both published in 1995).
Mandy Huot
Sep 28, 2012 Mandy Huot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always being a fan of fraiser, I grabbed this book to read about Kelsey's real life outside of acting, and was very surprised at the trauma he's suffered in his life. This was a quick read that I just couldn't put down.
Adam Kovynia
Jan 16, 2017 Adam Kovynia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personal memoir or autobiography is my favorite type of book these days. I found this book to be one of the best books I've read. as an artist I'm inspired by Kelsey's sense of adventure in life and risk taking, free spirit and sense of spirituality.
Korgan
Feb 25, 2015 Korgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was about 16 years old. It was so fascinating, I read it in one sitting. I read it two more times soon thereafter. I would definitely recommend this.
Natasha
Jan 25, 2008 Natasha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Arrogant and pointless. His character is more likeable and less annoying and that is saying something. Don't bother with this one.
Nicolas
Dec 19, 2012 Nicolas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't know what possessed me to read this, but I did. I found it in a thrift store and dove in. It was a weird book. Kelsey Grammer is an odd guy. Still, it was compelling and enjoyable.
Christy
Apr 17, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good example of not allowing a rough childhood and adolescent years influence who you become as an adult. Perserverance and determination.
  • Emma Hamilton
  • The Water Giver: The Story of a Mother, a Son, and Their Second Chance
  • Spirit Lost
  • Bravemouth: Living With Billy Connolly
  • The Saints and Sinners of Okay County: A Novel
  • The Last Escape: The Untold Story of Allied Prisoners of War in Europe 1944-45
  • Under the Wire: The Bestselling Memoir of an American Spitfire Pilot and Legendary POW Escaper
  • Behind Closed Doors
  • Don't Shoot, It's Only Me: Bob Hope's Comedy History of the United States
  • Storyville
  • My Life as a 10-Year-Old Boy
  • The Richest Season
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • The Road Taken
Allen Kelsey Grammer is a five-time Emmy- and two-time Golden Globe-winning American actor best known for his two-decade portrayal of psychiatrist Dr. Frasier Crane in the NBC sitcoms Cheers (nine years) and Frasier (eleven years). He was nominated for Emmys for playing his character on three different sitcoms (the third being a guest appearance on Wings). He has also worked as a television produc ...more
More about Kelsey Grammer...