Start by marking “The Plays of George Büchner” as Want to Read:
The Plays of George Büchner

The Plays of George Büchner

The life of Georg Buchner was short, intense, and tragic—and extremely significant for the development of modern drama. His three plays, Danton’s Death, Leonce and Lena, and Woyzeck, were greatly ahead of their time in their penetrating dramatic and psychological treatment. They served as an impetus for contemporary schools of drama as different as the Theatre of the Absur
Published March 1st 1989 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1837)

To ask other readers questions about The Plays of George Büchner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plays of George Büchner

Notes and Background to Texts
Select Bibliography
Charlie
Jul 02, 2013 Charlie rated it really liked it

Wozzeck is definitely the best of these three plays, but the other two are worth reading if you liked that.

One of my favourite things about Büchner is that no matter the social standing of a character he always puts extremely eloquent poetic musings on life and death in their mouths. You are quite quickly forced to give up any question of whether this is realistic or not, and are given the chance of hearing what these characters would say had they the means to express it.
It does also mean that i
Kristy
May 08, 2010 Kristy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started this collection of Büchner's work for his play Woyzeck, and read everything except Danton's Death (which I'm saving for later). Considering that Büchner died when he was 23, this collection of three plays, a novella, a revolutionary political treatise, a scientific lecture, and a bunch of letters is rather impressive. What is even more impressive is how modern Büchner seems considering that he was writing 180 years ago. This collection has crisp translations and interesting introductor ...more
Count Duckula
Oct 18, 2007 Count Duckula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'one coarse hide rubs against another' and other astonishingly modern cynical desperate gems from the 1830s
Keith
Nov 06, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woyzeck ***** – What a lyrically haunting play. It is little more than fragments of story, song and poetry with an unresolved – or unclear – ending.

When I say “fragments”, I mean that each scene is brief, but almost complete in itself. The story/plot itself is not necessarily fragmented. The arc of it is rather clear and unremarkable (at least by today’s standards). A woman cheats on a troubled man, who kills her when he finds out. But it is told in short, poignant scenes – some no more than a
Johannes Schmidt
This critical edition contains Büchner's works and all known letters, and I consider this a good edition for anyone who wants to read Büchner in German and study his texts in depth. It contains his three plays (the tragedy Dantons Tod, the comedy [Lustspiel] Leonce und Lena, and all drafts of the fragment Woyzeck), as well as rich and useful annotations with explanations, comments, and primarily and secondary resources relevant to Büchner's works and life. It also includes other texts and works ...more
Brendan Shea
May 14, 2007 Brendan Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best translation out there of the first modern tragedian. Includes all Buchner's works, one of which is a heartbreaking translation of the short story/essay "Lenz," the reading of which is key to understanding Buchner's aesthetic. Mueller captures the frantic, desperate poetry of "Woyzeck" unlike any other translation I've read. Top notch.
virgodura
Read Danton's Death, Woyzeck, Lenz and the letters.

I like his writing but I think that his age shows. Woyzeck is very good (four stars for it!) but the other works, I wouldn't think especially remarkable. But of course, my knowledge of theatre, and german lit is incredibly, unbelievably limited.
Charles
Apr 17, 2013 Charles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
Danton's Death is on my not so short list of plays I'd like to stage. I did a couple of cuttings from it for scene workshops and they went over well. Too many plays, not enough time.
Joshua Thornton
Jan 08, 2015 Joshua Thornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chelton-books
A very odd collection of writings from some semi-unknown writer. Bucher has a specific tone to his work that is rare and hard to come by.
Ian Mathers
Jul 18, 2008 Ian Mathers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a kind of omnibus, but Woyzeck, Lenz, and much of what else is here is terrifyingly good. My favourite discovery from those German literature classes I took.
Finnja
Finnja rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Susan Degnan
Susan Degnan rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Alex Covic
Alex Covic rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2009
John Roberson
John Roberson rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2014
Donald Furness
Donald Furness rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2016
Tasos Droulias
Tasos Droulias rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Tucker
Tucker rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2013
Ivi
Ivi rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2015
S.C. Flynn
S.C. Flynn rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2008
Pia
Pia rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Anita
Anita rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2009
Alex Covic
Alex Covic rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2009
bigbrando
bigbrando rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Sarah Ellis
Sarah Ellis rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Matthew Cheney
Matthew Cheney rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Tiago Domingos
Tiago Domingos rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2013
Lawrence A
Lawrence A rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2007
  • Six Plays: The Father / Miss Julie / The Stronger / Easter / A Dream Play / The Ghost Sonata
  • Kaspar and Other Plays
  • The Collected Plays, Vol. 1: 1958-1965
  • Billiards at Half-Past Nine
  • Complete Plays
  • The Ubu Plays: Ubu Rex / Ubu Cuckolded / Ubu Enchained
Karl Georg Büchner was a German dramatist and writer of prose. He was the brother of physician and philosopher Ludwig Büchner. Georg Büchner's talent is generally held in great esteem in Germany. It is widely believed that, but for his early death, he might have attained the significance of such central German literary figures as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Friedrich Schiller.

-Wikipedia

More about Georg Büchner...