Plays of George Büchner Opb272
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

Plays of George Büchner Opb272

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  891 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Τι είναι αυτό μέσα μας που ασελγεί, ψεύδεται, κλέβει και σκοτώνει;
Μαριονέτες είμαστε που τις τραβούν απ το κορδόνι, τίποτα, τίποτα δεν είμαστε εμείς οι ίδιοι! Σπαθιά με τα οποία μάχονται φαντάσματα, μόνο που δεν φαίνονται τα χέρια που τα κρατούν, όπως στα παραμύθια..
Paperback, 156 pages
Published March 1st 1989 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1831)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Plays of George Büchner Opb272, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plays of George Büchner Opb272

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 1,439)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
بسام عبد العزيز
العديد و العديد من الشخصيات أفقدتني القدرة على التركيز في المسرحية.. اضطررت للرجوع كثيرا إلى صفحة الشخصيات في بداية المسرحية لأعرف من المتحدث.. و حتى هذا الأسلوب ساعدني أكثر على فقداني التركيز...

الأاحداث تدور حول تحول الثورة الفرنسية من البحث عن الحرية و الإخاء و المساواة إلى وسيلة استبدادية لقتل المعارضين للثورة.. و تتساءل هل الثورة يجب أن تكون دموية لتنجح؟ أم ان الثورة البيضاء هى الثورة الحقيقية؟

المسرحية تعتمد على تفصيلات دقيقة للثورة الفرنسية و ما بعدها جعلتني أحتاج للبحث عن العديد من الحوادث...more
Laura
Feb 14, 2011 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Katja
Will man den Danton wirklich verstehen, geht es nicht ohne Duden, eine Zeittafel zur französischen Revolution und Wikipedia, um schnell und unkompliziert Namen und Mythen nachzuschlagen. Aber es lohnt sich. Irgendwie ist man anschließend in so vielen Bereichen klüger. ;-) (Juni 2014)
Russell Bittner
“…only I don’t know who I am — which by the way shouldn’t surprise anybody, as I haven’t the remotest idea what I’m talking about, indeed I don’t even know that I don’t know, which makes it highly probable that somebody else is doing the talking and I’m only an arrangement of pipes and bellows” (spoken by Valerio in Leonce and Lena (p. 101).

I believe this snippet of dialogue pretty much sums up Büchner’s literary contribution.

Despite what Victor Price (translator) writes in the Introduction, and...more
Charlie

Wozzeck is definitely the best of these three plays, but the other two are worth reading if you liked that.

One of my favourite things about Büchner is that no matter the social standing of a character he always puts extremely eloquent poetic musings on life and death in their mouths. You are quite quickly forced to give up any question of whether this is realistic or not, and are given the chance of hearing what these characters would say had they the means to express it.
It does also mean that i...more
Ana
"-Boga nema, jer: ili je bog stvorio svijet, ili nije. Ako ga nije stvorio, onda svijet ima svoj uzrok u sebi, a ne postoji nikakav bog, jer bog je samo po tome bog, što u sebi ima uzrok svega, što postoji. Ali nemoguće je, da je bog stvorio svijet, jer, ili je stvaranje vječno kao bog, ili ono ima svoj početak. Ako je ovo drugo, onda ga je bog morao stvoriti u neki određeni trenutak; bog je, prema tome, pošto je čitavu vječnost mirovao, morao, najedanput da postane djelotvoran, morao je, dakle,...more
Scherzo
que se yo! y recomponiendo trozo a trozo la venus de médico entre las busconas del palais rotal; trabajando el mosaico como el dice. el cielo sabrá en que tercio debe estar ahora. es una lástima que la naturaleza haya despedazado la belleza como hizo meses con su hermano, par guardar los fragmentos entre tanto cuerpo.

cantón tus labios tiñen ojos
es ridículo como se me vigilan los pensamientos unos a otros.

somos paquidermos, nos tendemos las manos pero no sirve de nada. quita mujer, quita, para to...more
Riina
So damit hätte ich nun die letzte meiner Abi-Pflichtlektüren gelesen...Hoffen wir mal, dass ich in der Prüfung kein Textabschnitt darauß interpretieren muss!
Hillary
Danton's Death in an interesting piece. It's very slow, but when one really takes their time to analyze it and to dig deep into it's meaning, it's actually quite interesting. There are a lot of philosophical topics at hand, and it takes the perspective of two different walks of life. I would have to criticize it however, in saying that it has a gives a rather biased portrayal of a virtuous person. However, I do think it was a key in helping the author get his point across. Overall, I would recom...more
Hannah
Aug 08, 2012 Hannah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students
Shelves: drama
Ich finde es ausgesprochen schwierig, Dramen zu lesen. Ich vergesse ständig, den Namen der Person, die gerade spricht, zu lesen, und bin demnach die meiste Zeit damit beschäftigt, das nachzuholen.

Allerdings fand ich die Thematik von "Dantons Tod" sehr interessant. Der historische Hintergrund hier ist die Französische Revolution. Ich habe das Drama im Rahmen meines Deutsch-Leistungskurses gelesen und hatte das Glück, von meinem Lehrer mit vielen Materialien versorgt zu werden.
Jason
I've only read Woyzeck, which remains one of my favorite plays I've had to study. A man goes insane because all he eats are peas (not really, but I suppose that is one excuse) and submits himself to endless and ridiculous medical studies. The scenes are fragmentary, so we don't know which came first, making for liberal interpretations as different productions mix and match depending on what they choose to emphasize. The German movie with Klaus Kinski is excellent.
Nick
Sep 11, 2012 Nick rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: closet dramaturgists
Shelves: plays, drama
Another book I had a very complicated and very German relationship with. Danton's Death (the play I studied) has many highs of philosophical brilliance, ambivalent paralysis, and puddles that may or may not be windows into another dimension. It's a good play to have a torrid, deathly affair with. Wonderful tragedy and wonderful hookers, and even a cameo by Tom Paine!
Passi
1835 - Drama in vier Akten.
Vormärzliteratur.

-Französische Revolution in der Phase des ''Terreur''.

-Robespierre (Terreur-Vertreter) vs. Danton (Anführer der Gemäßigten)

-wiederholte, atheistische Aussagen, Kritik an Theatern (Büchners Kunstkritik)

''Was ist das, was in uns hurt, lügt, stiehlt und mordet?''
Sheila
Having seen the play at The National Theatre in 2010 I decided to get the book. Although more wordy than the adaptation, the writing shows understanding of the subject (although the play was written in 1835, well within living memory of the Revolution and its aftermath)
Iman
Brilliant!! portraying Social struggle, Folklore, Socio-Economic struggles, Expressionist and Absurdist Elements, Buchner was a century and a half ahead of his contemporaries, it's almost impossible to believe that the Woyzeck was written in the early Ninteenth century!
Chris Schaeffer
I can't pretend I'm objective, I love these plays more than anything, I've gone through three copies of the dumb little Oxford edition with Klaus Kinski on the cover, and I'll probably go through more. Crucial, crucial, crucial texts for anybody interested in anything.
Adrian
Pretty decent play about the French revolution. Would be interesting to watch it being performed, although I think it would work a lot better as a movie than a play.
Brendan Shea
Good translation, very British (as one might expect from the OUP edition), but solid-- uses the popular structuring of scenes and provides an fresh ending.
Claudia
I enjoyed reading it. But all the symbolism and layering of info went straight over my head, at the time. Ah Buchner!
Kristy
Gar nicht so übel. Der gute Herr Büchner hatte eine Weltanschauung, die meiner nicht unähnlich zu sein scheint.
Dennis
Mir fehlt es wohl leider ein wenig an Geschichtsverständnis, um dieses Buch richtig wertschätzen zu können.
Cecilia
What an odd upsetting, but interesting and likable play. Mayhaps I will read another translation...sigh...
Kadri
Nii veider raamat, et sellele võib vastavalt tujust suvalise hulga tähti anda. Tõlge on võrratu.
Lese.tek
Wer sich mit der französischen Revolution und co auskennt, versteht es. Sonst ist es eher nichts.
Mike Lester
Aug 21, 2012 Mike Lester marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Glad to have found this. Looking forward to it. Plus, it has Kinski on the cover!
Messiah
این نمایش نامه به پارسی ترجمه شده
ورنر هرتزوک نیز آن را به فیلم برگردانده است
Ann Canann
Found in paperback: The Drama of Romanticism and Realism pg.64
Janelle V.
I should probably read up on my minor classical philosophers.
Jasmine
A play about the French Revolution.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Der zerbrochne Krug
  • Deutschland, ein Wintermärchen
  • Maria Stuart
  • Emilia Galotti: Ein Trauerspiel in fünf Aufzügen
  • Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe
  • Der Schimmelreiter
  • Irrungen, Wirrungen
  • Andorra
  • Götz von Berlichingen
  • Die Judenbuche
  • The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui
  • Mephisto
  • Der goldne Topf
  • Hyperion oder der Eremit in Griechenland
  • Draußen vor der Tür
94147
Karl Georg Büchner (October 17, 1813 – February 19, 1837) was a German dramatist and writer of prose. He was the brother of physician and philosopher Ludwig Büchner. Georg Büchner's talent is generally held in great esteem in Germany. It is widely believed that, but for his early death, he might have attained the significance of such central German literary figures as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe an...more
More about Georg Büchner...
Woyzeck Woyzeck / Leonce und Lena Lenz Leonce und Lena Lenz / Der hessische Landbote

Share This Book

“Wir sind Dickhäuter, wir strecken die Hände nacheinander aus, aber es ist vergebliche Mühe, wir reiben nur das grobe Leder aneinander ab, - wir sind sehr einsam. [...] Geh, wir haben grobe Sinne. Einander kennen? Wir müssten uns die Schädeldecken aufbrechen und die Gedanken einander aus den Hirnfasern zerren.” 5 likes
“Wir alle sind Narren, es hat keiner das Recht, einem andern seine eigentümliche Narrheit aufzudringen. - Jeder muss in seiner Art genießen können, jedoch so, dass keiner auf Unkosten eines andern genießen oder ihn in seinem eigentümlichen Genuss stören darf.” 4 likes
More quotes…