Start by marking “Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears and Other Amazing Alphabet Anecdotes” as Want to Read:
Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears and Other Amazing Alphabet Anecdotes

Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears and Other Amazing Alphabet Anecdotes

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Explore twenty-six amazing alphabet worlds, where every picture tells a tale! Meet Alistair, an alligator with an alarming appetite for acrobats; Igor, who sells irresistible...invisible...ice cream; and Holly, happily at home in her handbag. Visit Violet on vacation with a view of a volcano, marvel at Mario's mechanical moustache machine, and daydream with Dot about daint ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Atheneum

Be the first to ask a question about Ellsworth's Extraordinary Electric Ears and Other Amazing Alphabet Anecdotes

Chandler Cash
Feb 18, 2015 Chandler Cash rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is one of those cases where you need to make sure what exactly you're picking up when your going through the shelves in a library. To me this book is okay, but not something I would recommend for classroom use. When picking the book I definitely went off the cover and thought it would be and excellent choice, but as I got home and cracked it open I was disappointed that the book didn't live up to the cover.

For school use there are just to many simple sentences along with way to many words
Dianna
Apr 11, 2011 Dianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the quirkier alphabet books I've read—the cover and title really give an accurate idea of what's inside. My son and I loved it. It's so fun to go through the pictures and find all the objects that start with the different letters. Definitely not your average alphabet book!
Robin Gassen
Sep 22, 2014 Robin Gassen rated it really liked it
This is a great book that helps teach the alphabet and its sounds. It captivates the attention of the children as they search for the items listed at the end that are in each picture. It's great that this book is educational and entertaining.
Karen
Jan 09, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
My six-year-old boy, a die-hard letter-lover, was amused by about two-thirds of this book. He started to lose interest around Q, though. I just found it kind of weird -- which is not necessarily bad.
Amanda
Aug 14, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Quirky and imaginative alliterated alphabet book. I'm confused at the title...it's not really about Ellsworth's electric ears...that just happens to be the page on the letter E.
Shiralea Woodhouse
Nov 21, 2011 Shiralea Woodhouse rated it it was amazing
Just thought I'd add this book because my kids have always liked it and it is a great book for a kindergartener learning letters/sounds. It has a funny photo (of scenes with miniatures) for each letter of the alphabet where you can try to pick out all the things that start with that letter. I checked it out for my kindergartener, but my older kids were having fun with it too - even though they've seen it before.
Meghan
I really enjoyed reading this book, and it would be really good to use in a classroom when you are focusing on alliteration. Every page has an alliteration on it which makes it even more interesting. This would probably be good for older readers, since some words younger readers would not know.
Ruth Ann
Sep 06, 2010 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
This is an alphabet book with alliteration, photos, and an"I Spy" feel. There is a separate photo for each letter of the alphabet and a tale told with alliteration. At the end of the book, the reader will find a list of all the alphabet items to find in each picture.
Jennifer Conrad
Aug 21, 2013 Jennifer Conrad rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book to look at! We love looking through the photo and trying to find all of the items that begin with the letter of the page. The alliterative sentences for each letter are quirky and fun, too.
Kristie
For each letter of the alphabet, there is one descriptive sentence with lots of alliteration. A look-and-seek activity is at the end of the story and gives children the opportunity to search the pictures more closely.
Allison
REALLY delightful photographs, and fun phrases for each letter -- I think this would go well at storytime, but it'd be especially delightful for a kid to sit and pore over the photos.
Tricia
Apr 12, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
I Spy meets alphabet book in this alliterative-filled title with items hidden in the pictures for each letter. Some are quite challenging so the key at the back of the book is GREAT!
This books is Vladmaster meets Little People street art. Every page is a carefully composed scene of a tiny otherworld. I loved it. And yeah, kids might like it to (?).
Beth
May 26, 2010 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, alphabet
Reading this book might make you think that:
Linda loves learning letters.
Or
Timothy taught Tammy the true “T.”
See the alphabet in pictures and words.
Erin
Dec 16, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
This caught my eye in the children's section at the library and I had to check it out to get a closer look.
Anne
Jul 09, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
I love this alphabet book for its fun and creative set ups using small objects and witty sentences.
Karen
Nov 15, 2012 Karen added it
Very creative alphabet books using plastic toy figurines in interesting pursuits.
Shonna Froebel
Jul 19, 2013 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Nonsense stuff, but cool.
Betty Matthews
Jan 19, 2008 Betty Matthews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
A great "I Spy" type book.
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
Corey
Corey rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Edward
Edward rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2015
Brie
Brie added it
May 07, 2015
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Faith
Faith marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015