Start by marking “Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze #1)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze #1)

Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control! (My Weird School Daze #1)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  506 ratings  ·  40 reviews
A.J. and the gang are graduating! But the out-of-control PTA president is turning the whole thing into a huge ceremony complete with fireworks, a petting zoo, and a flyover by the Blue Angels! Is moving up to third grade such a big deal? And what could possibly go wrong?
Published May 1st 2008 by HarperTrophy (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Dole Is Out of Control!

Gina Weibel
AWful! Oh no! I picked up the entire set from the library, thinking my 2nd grader could charge through them and have a good time. We each read one book and I rounded them all up and returned the lot before he could read any more.

Very much a Diary of a Wimpy Kid wannabe, the character in this book is sassy, rude and sarcastic to the maximum. As an adult, I was cracking up laughing, but I am terrified by how this character states over and over how much he hates school, rudely demeans other student
Becky
AJ and the rest the My Weird School gang are graduating! Graduating from the second grade that is. Mrs. Dole, the PTA president, wants it to be the most over the top amazing graduation ceremony ever. The kids aren't really opposed to a party, but since the aforementioned Mrs. Dole is out of control, it will be a celebration not to be missed.

Lots of kids at my library love this series. I hadn't really felt like I needed to read it until I saw this article in School Library Journal. A father was
Chris Murray
A.J. (Arlo) and the gang are graduating from second grade into third, and Mrs. Dole, the out of control new PTA president is bent on turning the whole thing into a huge extravaganza complete with fireworks, a petting zoo, and a flyover by the Blue Angels! Even former President Bill Clinton makes an appearance.

My Weird School books are wildly popular in my library so I just had to give one a try. Mrs. Dole is out of Control is book one in a new series – My Weird School Daze. It is full of boy hu
Daphne
I liked the part when it went like "blah blah blah blah blah blah blah".
Jacqueline Higginbotham
This was a cute, funny book. Young boys will like it.
Dolly
Sep 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children starting to read chapter books
This is the first book in the My Weird School Daze series by Dan Gutman and Jim Paillot.

They are very funny, quick reads and although they are told from a boy's perspective, I think they would appeal equally to boys and girls. This is a fun tale about a second-grade graduation that is completely out of control.

We've read many of these books completely out of order, but it doesn't seem to matter. Now we are going back and starting to read the books we've missed in order.

The dialogue is fresh a
Maryska
I can see how kids would like this book because it is funny and relate able. My issue with it is the inappropriateness. I would not want my son to read these to be honest. After reading the Magic Tree house it's hard to compare because there is nothing educational or enriching about My Weird School Daze. A.J. the main character picks on the girl in his class, they constantly mention how dumb and boring school is, and this series makes it seem like all adults are crazy. Not a fan
Kyree C
Graduation is a exciting time of the year for students who are moving on to the next grade. You get to dress up and wear a suite and tie and the girls wear pretty dresses,also you get to put on caps and gowns. But for AJ and his classmates they had a wired graduation Mrs. Dole had a petting zoo, fireworks,a rapper,and even a fake President Clinton at their graduation. Mrs. Dole had so much going on that day I think it was to much for a graduation. When they finally walked across the stage AJ thr ...more
Ahmad Hassan
this book is about a second grade class grauation .In this book the pta president goes overboard by bringing things that were not nessecasy. At the graudation thier was a petting zoo ,eternal flames and much many more.Then when it was to throw the hats in the air and then Aj throw his hat so high that it hit the eternal flames causing a fire. Then the place went wild.Peiople were running for thier lives. Then the petting zoo caught on fire .The animal wre running everywhere. After the fire stop ...more
Karla
Jul 28, 2008 Karla rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Shelves: children-s
The "My Weird School" series is great for young readers who are just beginning to tackle chapter books. The series follows AJ and his friends throughout their wacky adventures in second grade. Each book focuses on the seemingly bizarre behavior of a staff member at "Ella Mentry" grade school. Mrs. Dole is a PTA member who can't seem to stop planning "big" events, and really overdoes the second grade "graduation".

Although this last one wasn't as good as "Mrs. Kormel is Not Normal" or "Mrs. Roopy
Mrs. Lapacka
I have mixed feelings about this book. Parts of it were funny, and I can see them appealing to kids, but it also tried a little too hard. The main character comes across as a brat who never gets corrected for his behavior, and the adults were all portrayed as idiots. As the mother of a first grader and a teacher, I know that kids learn lingo from one another that their parents don't always love, but a lot of the dialogue between the kids felt false to me. Hold this book up against 'The Magic Tre ...more
Ifeyinuwa Otigba
Aug 12, 2011 Ifeyinuwa Otigba marked it as to-read
Mrs.Dole is the new pta president and Mrs.Davisy is late so Mrs.Dole[Ryan mother:]is ther until Mrs.Davisy come in. Mrs.Dole want a big graduation. Mrs.Dole want them to give Mrs.Davisy a gift. The next day they give everyone give her a box of Bonbons know she is start to get fat. On their big day Mrs.Dole went so overboard she rent a farm of animal, their graduation was outside on the school playground, and thier was a bowl of fire to represents the remindes the good times their childern had in ...more
*Queen Diva*
Actual rating: 2.5

I have mixed feelings about this book... some parts of it were funny and cute, and other parts were just obnoxious... some of the repetition of the "funny stuff" was a little obnoxious, but it wasn't a bad book. I checked it out to see if I could read to my kids before rest time...and this book most definitely is not appropriate for my class. LOL - but I think kids would enjoy this series for it's silliness and fun characters.
Cute and funny. Second graders would love this book.
Melissa Bezushko
My 5-year-old is enjoying (listening to) this series. It might be a little old for her, but at least (so far) there aren't any "bad guys." And since she's done Magic Tree House, she wanted to did a new series. Geronimo Stilton was a little on the scary/suspenseful side. So here we go!
Kelly
Jan 18, 2011 Kelly added it
Um, it's a weird book, but I think the author knows that. He pretends like the character takes everything literally, like going overboard means someone's going over the side of a boat. You think it can't get weirder until you read the last chapter. So unrealistic the whole book is, but kids probably enjoy it as a fast read with some similarity to their classroom at least.
Mrs. Kris's Class
This book is about a silly boy, who doesn't enjoy school that much, who's friends mother goes overboard sometimes!I recommend it for some 1rst graders, 2nd graders, some third graders, and 4th graders. This book is a comical, short, chapter book! This book is called "Mrs. Dole is out of Control"! by Dan Gutman Illustrated by Jim Paillot!
Maria
A.J. is about to graduate to the third grade. The PTA president wants to throw a huge graduation ceremony for the class complete with fireworks, petting zoo, and a jet flyover! Meanwhile, the teacher seems to be sick, but everyone is surprised at the end. A great book with wonderful wit and humor for all ages!
Martin
This is my first attempt to get my daughter to read "chapter" books. She can read, but I figured I would read it to her, because it's so much longer than the 16-page books she's used to.
Review: I have not laughed this hard in a very long time. I can't emphasize enough how much I enjoyed this book.
Veronica
Dan Gutman is my daughter's new favorite author.

I assume this is supposed to be a boys book since there are a lot of "ewww, girls" and "boys not liking school" references. But my daughter loves his books. She's read 3 in just over 2 weeks. They are funny & super silly.
Katrina Smith
the book mrs.dole is out of control is about a group of second graders going to the thrid grade.But on their ceremony the PTA president did everything like,she had a petting zoo,and had their old teacher sing.that was what the book was about.
Poonguzhali
there was a staff called PTA in the school.it represents parent who talks alot.the children in the school said that she was out of control.there was another competition agains this.the parent was very tired of talking and was in the 3rd rank.
Karen
Brilliant work. I realized after reading this book to my children that it is the third book in a series. I intend reading the whole series to my kids. There was lots of humor that a parent came appreciate from a child's perspective.
Karen Meier
My 2nd grade son loved this book and laughed through it. I purchased the full set of My weird school and we read about half of them before we both tired of them as they are very predictable.
Kaeleigh
It was a little sad when everything burned down. that was the saddest part.But it had a happy ending. my favorite part was when Mrs.Daisy was going to have a baby. I like it very much.
Courtney
I read this for a reading challenge at work & I'm hooked! I think I'll make my way through the whole Weird School experience. These are super funny & super cute!
Cassie
Feb 13, 2013 Cassie added it
Shelves: mg-fiction
Mrs. Dole is out of control? Rightly so! Who gets Blue Angels flyover for her son's second grade graduation? Or releases a "million hundred" white doves? Crazy.
Melissa
Read this to my kids this afternoon. Lots of laughs for all of us... the main character was a little much at times, but over all a fun, quick read.
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Erin the Firebird Fairy (Rainbow Magic: Magical Animals Fairies, #3)
  • Brave New Pond (Squish, #2)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Star Jumper: Journal of a Cardboard Genius
  • Marvin Redpost: Kidnapped at Birth? (Marvin Redpost, #1)
  • The Canary Caper (A to Z Mysteries, #3)
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Stupid Stinkbugs from Saturn (Ricky Ricotta, #6)
  • Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade (Princess Posey, #1)
  • Dracula Doesn't Rock N' Roll (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #39)
  • Help! A Vampire's Coming! (Ready, Freddy!, #6)
  • Bad Kitty School Daze
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer (Judy Moody, #10)
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine (The Homework Machine #1) Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)

“footnote:

"With all due respect" is grown-up talk for "I think you're stupid.”
6 likes