Start by marking “The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #3)

The Yellow House Mystery (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  4,972 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny used to live alone in a boxcar. Now they have a home with their grandfather and are determined to solve the mystery that surrounds an old yellow house on his property. Strange things have happened in that house where long ago a man disappeared.

When the Boxcar Children explore the house, they find an old letter written by the man who vanishe
Published November 1989 by Scholastic (first published November 30th 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow House Mystery, please sign up.

Rion DeMars Really?
Oh my gosh. Do you need it for homework.

Bri at She's Reading
I found like five typing mistakes in this but it just adds to the quirkiness in owning such an old book.
Nevada Libert
i love reading box car to my brothers. me and my brothers love the mysterys in the box car sires.
Matthew
I reread this book as an adult and I can see what my friend was saying about classism in the books. There definitely is some sense that non-wealthy people don't count in Ms. Warner's world. But the world is fun and the struggles and independence of the kids feel believable. There is some sexual division of labor, but it reads like Ms. Warner was a feminist for her time period - she believed that girls could do just as much and contribute just as much as boys, even if she acknowledged they were p ...more
Dana
Finally! The word mystery is right in the title! The children are finally becoming the detectives they will be for the rest of the series! And it turns out the kind of detectives they will be… is the kind where everything falls right into their laps. First they go to the little yellow house, and find a long lost letter stashed behind a brick in the fireplace, that the police couldn’t even find the first time around. Then the letter directs them to Bear Trail in Maine, and lo and behold, their co ...more
Kristine Pratt
The Boxcar Children are trying to solve a 40 year old mystery that takes them from Surprise Island all the way up to Maine on a rugged and amazing camping trip.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I loved the descriptions of camping. And thought that the book as a whole came to a really satisfying conclusion. Great series!
Cathrine Bonham
In this book the boxcar children go camping with their cousin Joe and his new wife Alice. The kids are also on the look out for clues to the whereabouts of their housekeeper's long lost husband Bill.

The mystery part of it was pretty silly and as far as mysteries go really not a mystery as all it took was a little effort that obviously neither the police or the man's wife cared to put into searching for him.

But that doesn't really matter. As a kid I first read these books not for the mystery but
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: This is part of my Random Bookshelf Reading project. I'm also working on re-reading this series and collecting the first 19.

Yellow House follows the established pattern of the first two books and yet also branches out a bit. The children go back to Surprise Island and end up on an adventure that has them roughing it and living outdoors, camping, canoeing and taking care of themselves, as usual. The children are a bit older this time with both Henry and Jessie in high school,
Rowan MacBean
It was decades ago when I first read The Boxcar Children series. I've always remembered them fondly and when I saw a Kindle version of the first twelve books, I bought it and decided to see if I could still see why I liked them so much. After re-reading the first one, I wasn't really sure, but since I had eleven more of them sitting there on my Kindle, I decided to keep going. The second one was better than the first, and the third one was better than that, enough so that I decided to write a re ...more
Irene
May 12, 2013 Irene rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
Caroline Herfindahl
My kids and I made a road trip to Florida for Spring Break and this was one of the many books we listened to along the way. I don't think I have read or heard this since I was 8 or 9 years old. What a fun story and such high quality writing and stories for young readers - much better than much that is sold to kids as early chapter books today.
Caleb
I liked it. It's all about a yellow house where they're trying to find out what it's about. One night they asked their grandfather and he told them about a person named Bill and he went away and lived without the person he was married to. On their trail, they found Bill. It was my second chapter book that I read by myself!
Heather
My boys love the Boxcar children. It's mysterious without being scary. The clues are not 'easy' to figure out, but not too difficult either. Towards the end they're usually yelling out what they think will happen.

I love that the kids have good morals - they don't use bad language, they're respectful, they make good choices, etc.

The books work well as a read aloud, but new readers could read them as well. Even my then 3-yr-old could follow the plot and he talked about the characters like he knew
Miri
On Surprise Island there is a little yellow house that stands abandoned, this old house holds a mystery to a missing man and a large sum of money that disappeared along with him. The Alden Children team up with their cousin to try and find out what happened to this man and where the money went.
Nicole Del sesto

I needed an audio and nothing I had sounded good, so I went with this. Another cute installment of the Boxcar Children. Benny's a bit precocious in this one.
This is the last one I had on hand, I doubt I'll do anymore but it was fun to revisit the series.
Cherie In the Dooryard
This book is clearly the one where Warner clarified where she was going with the series. The focus is off the relationships and the plot takes a clear turn towards mystery-solving. It's not quite Bobbsey Twins level yet, but getting there. That said, my kids thoroughly enjoyed it and I started to relive that excitement this kind of gentle mystery brings to the under-10 set.
Theresa
I went into this book think I would have to force myself to read it. I remember my mother buying it for my sister long ago and those books have held a place in my I'll never read list as long as I can remember. This is at least the third book to show me how silly I was about books growing up.

I was quickly swept up in the story of these four children, their cousin and his new bride. They solve mysteries and I know some day my Scooby Doo obsessed nephew will love stories like this.

The mystery invo
Clint 6th
I think that the yellow house mystery was a good book. Its about these kids that go to find Bill. They get caught in a rain storm and lose all there food but Benny the youngest kid goes back to the lake and finds a big sack with potatoes in it. They are so hungry they hurry as fast as they can to the small town and find Jim's Place. Benny goes missing and they ask all the Indians and see if they have see him.Then they find him by hermit's cabin. They find the tin box that they have been looking ...more
Missy
Another cute story

I thought the mystery was really cute and would be really fun for someone who hasn't read the books. The illustrations are really cute in my opinion
Aravis
I like the Boxcar children because they find Bill and they think that Bill was lost forever. But, it was really exciting when they found some clues in the house and solved the mystery.
Rebecca ~ Silvan Elf  ~
One of my favorite childhood series. I read over a hundred of them. The first 50 or so were in order; after that I read whatever book I could get my hands on :)
Andrew Jameson
This story was about four children that go on a journey with their cousin, Joe, to find someone missing named Bill. They are looking for Bill because he's been lost for 40 years. They have to go on a canoe trip and they have to do a lot of stuff to find Bill but they find him. They find Bill at an old village in a log cabin in the woods. When he comes home the childrens' grandfather gets very excited and they have a big feast. I liked this book because it is cool how they take a long journey and ...more
Chris J
This book, #3 in the series, is the first to have a real mystery. My kids, 8 and 5, have thoroughly enjoyed all three books. Yellow House probably ranks a little higher in my mind than Surprise Island. Maybe it is the setting (Maine). Anyway, it was a fine read.
Parker Reynolds
This book would be in my room for the kids to enjoy reading and give their mind a break from informational text
Candice
Love these kids, and their adventures, even as an adult these are fun short reads. I intend to read them all.
Krishna
Ami
My daughter enjoys this series. We read 1 then 3 and now will read 2 next.
Jessica
This book kept me on the edge the whole time. It was so good
Denae Christine
Again, very mild books. All the characters are nice to each other.
Erin
Simple, happy, books. Great to read with your kids
  • Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Disgusting Sneakers (Encyclopedia Brown, #18)
  • Mandie and the Forbidden Attic (Mandie Books, #4)
  • Ralph S. Mouse (Ralph S. Mouse, #3)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
  • Claudia and the Bad Joke (The Baby-Sitters Club, #19)
  • The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
  • The Clue in the Crossword Cipher (Nancy Drew, #44)
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Revolutionary War on Wednesday (Magic Tree House, #22)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
Gertrude Chandler Warner was born in Putnam, Connecticut, on April 16, 1890, to Edgar and Jane Warner. Her family included a sister, Frances, and a brother, John. From the age of five, she dreamed of becoming an author. She wrote stories for her Grandfather Carpenter, and each Christmas she gave him one of these stories as a gift. Today, Ms. Warner is best remembered as the author of THE BOXCAR CH ...more
More about Gertrude Chandler Warner...

The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #2)
  • Mystery Ranch
  • Mike's Mystery (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #5)
  • Blue Bay Mystery (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #6)
  • Snowbound Mystery
  • Tree House Mystery
  • The Haunted Cabin Mystery (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #9)
  • The Amusement Park Mystery
  • The Pizza Mystery (The Boxcar Children Graphic Novels, #11)
The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1) Surprise Island (The Boxcar Children, #2) The Boxcar Children 1-4 (The Boxcar Children, #1-4) Mystery Ranch (The Boxcar Children, #4) The Lighthouse Mystery (The Boxcar Children, #8)