Start by marking “Forbidden City (Rogue Angel, #5)” as Want to Read:
Forbidden City (Rogue Angel, #5)

Forbidden City (Rogue Angel #5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  667 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A stunning artifact holds the key to an untapped power of global destruction.

While working on a dig in the California wilderness, archaeologist-adventurer Annja Creed uncovers evidence of a tragedy that's linked to Chinese miners during the days of the Gold Rush. A sudden attack on the site by shadow if gures drives Annja to find the connection to a mysterious buried cit

Audio CD, 360 pages
Published July 1st 2007 by Graphic Audio (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Forbidden City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forbidden City

Mrs. S
This is one of my favorite books in the series. The historical aspect of the Chinese culture alone makes this an enjoyable book. The plots for the Rogue Angel series are routine, but what sets each apart are the historical and mythical aspects of the books. I am not going to go into details of the plot since others have done this so well. In Forbidden City, a new character is introduced, Kelly, a Chinese woman with some deep issues and a kick butt personality of her own. Great new character and ...more
Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave
These make excellent audiobooks for long car rides. A little violent for little kids but my teenage daughter loves them when we take a road trip. And because they're shorter, they're really good for day trips. You don't have to worry about it taking months to get through a 20 disc book because you only listen in the car.
Alice Segura
This series by Alex Archer is historically interesting and takes you on a tour of world sites. Whether one believes in Joan of Arc or the magic of her sword, the whole set is what to read when you don't know what you want to read. Certainly some of them are better than others, but on the whole I savor them and read them for a treat. I would recommend to start with the first book so that you can acquaint yourself with the characters, long lived immortals, plus on mortal.
Cindy
Had my attention and kept it. Great suspense. Great story it kept me guessing. Just never knew for sure eho would be friend or foe.
Starfire
Fairly standard Annja Croft/Lara Creed fare - fun, but ultimately a bit like eating junk food in terms of substance, and great when I feel like switching my brain off.

Like many of the other reviewers, I really liked Kelly Swan as the super-CIA-assassin-cum-ninja (the ninja hypothesis, people, the ninja hypothesis!) and hope she turns up again in later books.

Plus, the complex relationship between Annja, Roux and Garin is always fun to explore.

In the end though, the series is what it is - light, e
Susana
This one is my last for a while, didn't hold my attention as the early books did. Has become very forgettable reading.
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
The adventures of Annya Creed continue in Forbidden City. Except for the cover, which makes absolutely no sense at all, the book was a pretty good read. I especially love the fact that the team of writers that put this story together, added a fiesty and appealing new character to the mix in Kelly Suen aka Kelly Swan. Kelly is a CIA trained assassin who returns to China only to find her father murdered, and a piece of the puzzle left behind for her to search out a mysterious lost treasure. I gues ...more
Keziah Wallis
Another brilliant addition to the Rogue Angel series. I liked the character of Kelly as another strong female perfectly able to take care of herself. Establishing that although Annja is special, she is not the only woman in the world able to take on the boys and win. I also adored the interaction between Garin, Roux and Annja. All of whom are bound together and do actually care about each other, but also bound and determined not to trust each other. In particular Garin's attitude to Roux was qui ...more
Julie
This book is by far my favorite of the series. The chinese history and folklore was very interesting. I liked how the story switched to different characters every chapter. I definitely like when Mel Odom is the author for this series. I feel like he understands Annja more and her relationship with Roux and Garin. In the other novels they are hardly brought into the story. Annja and Roux relationship has really grown in this book. I hope the other novels stick to this format.
Jess
If you like adventure stories with a bit of magic thrown in, then you will enjoy the Rogue Angel series by Alex Archer. Annja Creed is the new holder of the sword, Joan of Arc's sword. With it comes special abilities that come in handy in her career as an archeologist. When she is searching for a client's ancestor in the gold camps of California, she discovers a priceless artifact that leads to the City of Thieves.
Cleo
I am saving 5 stars for spectacular so 4 is great. I love this series about the Rogue Angel - well written and a scenario that would make good movie material. An smart female archeologist, (real world) two fantasy realistic guys (who have lieved 500 years) - a fantasy sword from Joan of Arc - and some realistic suspenceful scenarios - a mix of things I like to read.
Janice
As expected and pretty much standard for the series. Though we never find out what the ancient artifact is supposed to allow the bad guy to DO if they get it. Felt like a small lack of effort on the part of the writer. But since these books are primarily about the journey and not what might happen if the journey ends in the wrong place, not a great loss.
Larry
out of the first five books I found this one to be the most boring so far. However, the book was still worth reading and as said in other reviews Im glad there was more character development on Roux and Garin. For me the take over and discussions throughout the book on different dynasty's and rulers was something I could have done with out.
Adam
Very much a Tomb Raider type of feel to this book. The main character, Anya, is definitely worht the read. She istough, smart, and relateble. Archer does a good job of drawing you in and balancing the action/adventure with slower moments developing the characters. Even though I am new to this series I did not feel lost at all. A good fun read.
Claudia
This book was great. The action was riveting. Taking place first in the California gold rush town, where Annja is betrayed by the person she helping find a family heirloom. Then in the Gobi Desert in Mongolia.
There are new characters introduced, as well as Roux and Garin who continue to pop up on occasion.
Kathy Davie
I enjoyed the adventure of hunting for a lost city, battling the bad buys, and the subtle, conflicting hints of possible romances. It gives me a kick how Annja always manages to surprise the enemy. I also think we might have accumulated a new character...
Karen Hartshorn
These are still just fun fast reads---if you are looking for depth stay away. But if you are bored with the two Laura Croft movies and need your awesome female archeologist turned warrior fix, Rogue Angel can help you out...
Vikky
Another good book in the Rogue Angel series, although it wasn't quite as good as the others story wise. I think there can be too much adventure! It was a bit tomb raider ish, but still a good read. Now on to the next one....
Mandi
Good books still, but I am finding that I have a tendency to skip over a fair amount of boringly dry details in the middle of these books. (Though if you're into archaeology or history..you'd love these books I think)
Eero
Now Annja looks thruth behind City of Thiefs. As in previous books, book is full of Indiana Jones style action and not like in previous book, this book has lots of fasinating archelocical thinking.
Linda George
Annja comes through yet again. This time in Asia. The usual drama, action and fun of these Rogue Angel Books. The story sucks you in for the ride, and along you go.
Athena Braun
One of the better ones in this series..Since more than one author writes these stories..Some are mediocre but some are surprisingly good like this one..
Dave Etherton
I enjoyed this book it is intresting to see how the character is growing and I will be intrested to see how her relationship with Roux develops
pdarnold
My favorite Rogue Angel thus far! More adventure, more story, a good mix of characters to both love and hate. A great escape read!!!
Cherisse

Annja searches for a lost Chinese (pre Han) city with Roux. A CIA trained descendent of a master assassin also has a part in the story.
Dad
Finished the book. Enjoy this series greatly as it takes me to the land of relaxation and people need those moments of time.
Ashley
not very good. story is a little bla, and characters aren't in depth enough to connect to.
Jenn
This was a fun read! I loved the underground scenes!! Well done writer! On to the next...
Heather Willson
History, action, intrigue. Like the Rogue Angel books!
bluetyson
Forbidden City (Rogue Angel) by Alex Archer (2007)
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Out of the Black
  • The Call of the Sword (Chronicles of Hawklan, #1)
  • Ice and Fire (Deathlands, #8)
  • Wolfbreed (Wolfbreed, #1)
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • The Templar Conspiracy (Templar, #4)
  • Enemy of My Enemy (Star Trek: Voyager; Spirit Walk, #2)
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • Uprising (Vampire Federation, #1)
  • Pelican Bay
  • Ryder On The Storm
  • The Odin Mission (Sergeant Jack Tanner, #1)
  • The Forbidden Tomb (The Hunters, #2)
  • Submerged
  • Last Snow (Jack McClure, #2)
  • Infamous
  • The Undead Kama Sutra (Felix Gomez, #3)
A house name for the Rogue Angel series, published by the Harlequin Publishing's Gold Eagle division.

The first eight novels were written by Victor Milan and Mel Odom. New writers joining the series starting with book nine include Jon Merz and Joseph Nassise.
More about Alex Archer...

Rogue Angel (1 - 10 of 58 books)
  • Destiny (Rogue Angel #1)
  • Solomon's Jar (Rogue Angel #2)
  • The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel #3)
  • The Chosen (Rogue Angel #4)
  • The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)
  • God of Thunder (Rogue Angel #7)
  • Secret of the Slaves (Rogue Angel #8)
  • Warrior Spirit (Rogue Angel #9)
  • Serpent's Kiss (Rogue Angel #10)
  • Provenance (Rogue Angel #11)
Destiny (Rogue Angel #1) Solomon's Jar (Rogue Angel #2) The Spider Stone (Rogue Angel #3) The Chosen (Rogue Angel #4) The Lost Scrolls (Rogue Angel #6)