Start by marking “Mastodonia” as Want to Read:
Mastodonia

Mastodonia

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  270 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"The time trails led him to mastodons, money and the most amazing mystery of all: time."
Published as Catface in the UK. A cat-faced alien stranded in drift-free Wisconsin befriends locals and time-engineers portals into prehistoric epochs, where they establish a new nation: Mastodonia
Broché, 285 pages
Published 1987 by J'ai lu (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Mastodonia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mastodonia

Denis
A charming Simak novel. Light reading. Though published in 1978, it felt as if it was written in the fifties... Oh, that's probably because it is an expansion of a shorter work Simak wrote in 1955 entitled "Project Mastodon" (which can be read at http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22216). This expanded version is actually a total rewrite but the spirit and style is still intact.

It is, for the most part, a story that explores all the commercial and social possibilities that come with the discovery
Michael Hall
A charming wonderful tale of time travel. Simak's characters are always so engaging and full of life, it makes the simplest of them lovable and almost tangible -- even the strange entity that is Catface. The atmosphere of the storytelling is a bit simple yet is still one of wonder and of surprise. Despite the slight hint of greed, the bureacratic stubbornness of government, and the nonsense of religion, the issue of social responsibility that arises doesn't detract from the adventure. In all it' ...more
Ron Rayborne
I like this book because it opened my mind (well it was already opened before that) to the idea of what the earth was like before us. These days there are plenty of books and videos discussing Life After Man, but how many to before? And in this book there is one paragraph that is my favorite, the opening paragraph in chapter 21:

"It was spring in Mastodonia and everything was beautiful. The mobile home stood on top of a little ridge no more than a half mile or so from where the time road brought
Cormacjosh
My father purchased a copy of this book for me when it was brand new in 1978, and I was five. I tried to read it then, but it was far, far above my head and I put it down. I read it entirely at the age of 12 in 1985, and enjoyed it then. The fact that Mastodonia was once a Science Fiction Book Club main selection inspired me to join the SFBC, a club to which I still belong, 26 years later.

Having lost my original copy in a house fire years ago, I obtained another copy via the internet for one cen
Greg Curtis
A lovely, gentle journey, well told and as with all of his books, with a love for his characters. Clifford Simak has a very easy writing style, which makes all of his works simply fly along as you read them, and he brings a real warmth to sci fi.
Adrik
Uma ideia interessante, do Cheshire Cat alienígena q só de onda organiza uns wormholes temporais pro casal de quase arqueólogos.
(view spoiler)
Станислав Атанасов
Една прекрасна книга повдигаща много въпроси ... и една от първите не книги игри, които прочетох преди много много време.
tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE
review of
Clifford D. Simak's Mastodonia
by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE - May 17, 2013

I think this is the 1st Simak novel I've read, maybe I've read some short stories. It seems that he always struck me somehow as a 'generic' SF writer - not necessarily such a 'bad' thing, I'd rather read a 'generic' SF writer than a generic horror writer anyday. Nonetheless, something about his work, maybe the titles, put me off.

HOWEVER, reading this, I enjoyed it. At 1st, he seemed like a California SF writer
Bargle
Good story idea, but I didn't find the way it unfolded believeable.
Randy
A distant ancestor to Jurassic Park. Interesting, though dated, sci fi. Gets a half-hearted recommendation from me--you could do worse. It'll kill a plane trip without killing brain cells. No, this isn't the most cogent review, but I just can't bring myself to spend a ton of time on it. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Evan
Though imperfect and dated, this book has charm: great atmospheric descriptions and an unforgettable character in Catface. True to classic SF, it believes in its own ridiculous big ideas strongly enough to summon fascination in the reader.
Fredrick Danysh
An old girlfriend steps out of Asa's past along with his dog. Asa starts trips in time as the woman starts thinking of a time travel business but soon problems arise as governments become involved.
Nicole
Big game hunting for the wealthy. They exploit the past for safari expeditions with full governmental sanctions. Once more Simak posses questions of social responsibility.
Devero
Qualsiasi romanzo di C.D.Simak vale la pena. Questo anche di più. L'autore qui da fondo alla sua fantasia e passione per il Miocene ed i viaggi nel tempo.
Erik Graff
Feb 22, 2012 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Simak fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
This is a comic science fiction novel which I didn't find very funny.
George Kraft
George Kraft marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Daisy
Daisy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Patrick Smith
Patrick Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
LeeAnne
LeeAnne marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Dick
Dick added it
Dec 10, 2014
Mercedes
Mercedes marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Brian Bacon
Brian Bacon is currently reading it
Nov 30, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Natia
Natia marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Le catene di Eymerich
  • Poltergeist
  • Footprints of Thunder
  • The Second Trip
  • Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1)
  • Bones of the Earth
  • The Avatar
  • The Wooden Spaceships (Land and Overland Series, #2)
  • Arcodamore
  • Sunfall
  • No Sense of Place: The Electronic Media on Social Behavior
  • La metà di niente
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Ender's Shadow Three-Book Set: Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets (Ender's Shadow #1-3)
"He was honored by fans with three Hugo awards and by colleagues with one Nebula award and was named the third Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA) in 1977." (Wikipedia)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford...
More about Clifford D. Simak...
Way Station City The Goblin Reservation Time and Again All Flesh is Grass