Start by marking “Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)” as Want to Read:
Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)

Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Causes: Unknown

At first, they thought it was a cold or maybe the flu. Then people started dropping where they stood.

Symptoms: Unthinkable

It could kill in hours. There was no known cure, no vaccine, and the only antidote could kill millions.

Diagnosis: Unstoppable.

New York, Chicago and Florida are quarantined. International travel is halted. A Japanese doomsday cul
Published October 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Final Epidemic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Epidemic

Earl Merkel
Aug 13, 2012 Earl Merkel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Having written it, I'm scarcely an unbiased judge. That said, consider this book heartily recommended...
Dana Jones
Exceptional

A vigorous and suspense filled novel based on one of this centuries most terrifying scenarios in terrorism and biological weapons. Wether you are a military/covert operations fan, a medical suspense/drama fan,or a conspiracy theorist this book has you covered. Intense until the end I truly enjoyed this work.
Anna
Finished reading this last night and really enjoyed it. Shed a few tears when one of the characters was killed off. That came as a surprise. Great group of characters and a fascinating plot. I could see something like that happening in the real world today. Looking forward to reading more about Beck Casey.
Alan
By now you probably know the premise...take a zealous religious cult, a deadly weaponized virus, a former CIA specialist on terrorism, his ex-wife, their teenaged daughter, a Russian spy, a female FBI agent, a Russian assassin, terrible deliberate outbreaks of the disease, stir well and you've got the "Final Epidemic."

If you're not exactly sure how this plays out, the first part is much like "World War Z" but without the zombies...in other words a scenario that is actually able to happen. How wo
Lynda
An interesting book -- available for free via Amazon at the time I downloaded it. Some editing needed to be done. The word "an" should be used in front of a vowel -- not in front of "an SAM...".

Sorry -- but I could not give the book 4 stars with major errors in dealing with military flying a Hercules aircraft. Pilots fly in the LEFT SEAT. So in Chapter 50 when Mayo jumps at the chance to fly left-hand seat, Mayo is the newbie. Sivigny is the pilot so Mayo in his big chance to CO-PILOT would jump
Cherei
Government conspiracy, spies, militia, fighting exes, and bureaucrats going apey.. what a combination! As I grew up in Montana this book had an added fascination to me as bits of the story take place in settings I'm familiar with. I tend to think the author probably wrote this book a few decades ago and updated it to be more current with today. It reads very easily.. but, somewhere in the middle of the book the pace picked up a bit too fast.. and it felt like parts were missing or deleted from t ...more
Morgan Jameson
With all the stories in the news lately about Ebola, I've been thinking that I need to pull 'Final Epidemic' out and read it again!

Earl Merkel has a unique way with words, and his protagonist Beck Casey is the kind of guy you'd want the government sending to handle such a problem. Beck's also a 'real' guy with the same set of personal problems we all face. 'Fire of the Prophet' continues the Beck Casey series, so keep that in mind...
Petr Hudeček
I loved the presidential briefing and the memo to journalists.
Samantha
I found this book to be an interesting read, I would recommend it to people who are interested in biological weapons and medical suspense books. Throughout the book it had me wondering what the ending would be, who was on what side, and so on. It kept me thinking the whole time I was reading, which is the kind of book I like. When I was looking for a new book to keep me entertained, I'm glad I picked this one because it certainly did the job.
Yolanda Davis
I was really looking forward to this as , as far as I can remember, it's my first disaster/epidemic type book, but I've tried so hard to like it and get into it; it's just not happening. I can normally read a book in just a few days but I've been going at this one for weeks now and I'm still only halfway through. I have never, ever, given up on a book without finishing it before, but I give in
Aimee DiBrienza
The Spanish Influenza, reborn

Good pacing, solid command of prose. Some predictability and stereotyping,especially of the Russian characters. Chilling reality, though, that deliberate epidemic is possible and it's effects disturbing.
Kristen
This was a great medical thriller about a manmade biological warfare that spreads like wildfire, making people sick and dying, in a race against time. If you like Michael Palmer, you like Earl Merkel. Very good action and drama.
Chandra Luke
I picked this book up in a reading room. Not a spectacular book, but I'm determined to finish reading. I do have to say that the one thing I don't like about epidemic books is they're all the same.
Ben
I love this sub-genre. Probably because the thought of getting sick in such a gruesome way is quite frightening. I read this book ages ago, but I have positive memories of it.
Charles
I think this might have been Merkel's first book and I enjoyed it a lot. Good suspense and good characterization.
Becky
So I love disaster and coming plague novels. This was mind-candy but a good read.
Christine
Interesting that the book was written in 2002 and the epidemic is H1N1...
Rachel
Typical medical thriller....moves along quickly.
Michaela
Michaela is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2015
Todd Simpson
Todd Simpson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Sunflower Jamison
Sunflower Jamison marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Michael Mcquillan
Michael Mcquillan marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Barbara Pascal
Barbara Pascal marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2015
Robbie
Robbie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Cydni
Cydni marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
SSteppenwolFF
SSteppenwolFF marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Buggy
Buggy marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Killing Mum
  • H10N1
  • The Oasis of Filth
  • The Embroidered Corpse (a Belinda Lawrence Mystery)
  • Pandemic
  • The Aberration
  • The Shadow Chaser - Book 1
  • Arboreatum
  • The Transformed
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • The Girl at the End of the World
  • Spider Brains: A Love Story
  • The First
  • A Breach in Death
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • The Penguin Book of Gaslight Crime: Con Artists, Burglars, Rogues, and Scoundrels from the Time of Sherlock Holmes
  • Gnome Wars - a short tale
  • End of the Road

Beck Casey (3 books)
  • Fire Of The Prophet (Beck Casey #2)
  • Fallout (Beck Casey #3)
Dirty Fire Fallout (Beck Casey #3) Virgins and Martyrs (Aria Quynn) Fire Of The Prophet (Beck Casey #2) The Law Of Unintended Consequences (Faulk Carpenter #1)