Start by marking “Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)” as Want to Read:
Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)

Final Epidemic (Beck Casey #1)

Causes: Unknown

At first, they thought it was a cold or maybe the flu. Then people started dropping where they stood.

Symptoms: Unthinkable

It could kill in hours. There was no known cure, no vaccine, and the only antidote could kill millions.

Diagnosis: Unstoppable.

New York, Chicago and Florida are quarantined. International travel is halted. A Japanese doomsday cul
Published October 1st 2002 by Signet (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Final Epidemic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Epidemic

Earl Merkel
Aug 13, 2012 Earl Merkel rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Having written it, I'm scarcely an unbiased judge. That said, consider this book heartily recommended...
KeAnne
Jul 01, 2016 KeAnne rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2016
I'm thankful I paid only fifty cents for this book at the annual library book sale. Maybe I should create a shelf for that
Carina
Another of my free Kindle books that I read on holiday with no idea about the plot. It turned out to be rather interesting and I figured it was part of a series - according to Goodreads this is the first book in that series which I admit surprises me. The author writes about previous events that I thought *must* be covered in an earlier book (though they are written in such a way that I didn't need the details which was good), having this be the first book kind of lessens it a bit for me... I wa ...more
Dana Jones
Exceptional

A vigorous and suspense filled novel based on one of this centuries most terrifying scenarios in terrorism and biological weapons. Wether you are a military/covert operations fan, a medical suspense/drama fan,or a conspiracy theorist this book has you covered. Intense until the end I truly enjoyed this work.
Anna
Dec 17, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished reading this last night and really enjoyed it. Shed a few tears when one of the characters was killed off. That came as a surprise. Great group of characters and a fascinating plot. I could see something like that happening in the real world today. Looking forward to reading more about Beck Casey.
Alan
Oct 22, 2014 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By now you probably know the premise...take a zealous religious cult, a deadly weaponized virus, a former CIA specialist on terrorism, his ex-wife, their teenaged daughter, a Russian spy, a female FBI agent, a Russian assassin, terrible deliberate outbreaks of the disease, stir well and you've got the "Final Epidemic."

If you're not exactly sure how this plays out, the first part is much like "World War Z" but without the zombies...in other words a scenario that is actually able to happen. How wo
Lynda
Mar 04, 2015 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, medical
An interesting book -- available for free via Amazon at the time I downloaded it. Some editing needed to be done. The word "an" should be used in front of a vowel -- not in front of "an SAM...".

Sorry -- but I could not give the book 4 stars with major errors in dealing with military flying a Hercules aircraft. Pilots fly in the LEFT SEAT. So in Chapter 50 when Mayo jumps at the chance to fly left-hand seat, Mayo is the newbie. Sivigny is the pilot so Mayo in his big chance to CO-PILOT would jump
Cherei
Feb 07, 2014 Cherei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Government conspiracy, spies, militia, fighting exes, and bureaucrats going apey.. what a combination! As I grew up in Montana this book had an added fascination to me as bits of the story take place in settings I'm familiar with. I tend to think the author probably wrote this book a few decades ago and updated it to be more current with today. It reads very easily.. but, somewhere in the middle of the book the pace picked up a bit too fast.. and it felt like parts were missing or deleted from t ...more
Morgan Jameson
Dec 01, 2014 Morgan Jameson rated it it was amazing
With all the stories in the news lately about Ebola, I've been thinking that I need to pull 'Final Epidemic' out and read it again!

Earl Merkel has a unique way with words, and his protagonist Beck Casey is the kind of guy you'd want the government sending to handle such a problem. Beck's also a 'real' guy with the same set of personal problems we all face. 'Fire of the Prophet' continues the Beck Casey series, so keep that in mind...
Barbara
Sep 01, 2016 Barbara rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. Books about bio-terrorism fascinate me. They are interesting (and scary) because they are plausible. This book had a couple of elements that separated it from the run-of-the-mill books in this category. AND I got the book for free on Kindle, so it was definitely a win-win.
Petr Hudeček
May 31, 2014 Petr Hudeček rated it really liked it
I loved the presidential briefing and the memo to journalists.
Samantha
Apr 19, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be an interesting read, I would recommend it to people who are interested in biological weapons and medical suspense books. Throughout the book it had me wondering what the ending would be, who was on what side, and so on. It kept me thinking the whole time I was reading, which is the kind of book I like. When I was looking for a new book to keep me entertained, I'm glad I picked this one because it certainly did the job.
Yolanda Davis
Oct 26, 2014 Yolanda Davis rated it did not like it
I was really looking forward to this as , as far as I can remember, it's my first disaster/epidemic type book, but I've tried so hard to like it and get into it; it's just not happening. I can normally read a book in just a few days but I've been going at this one for weeks now and I'm still only halfway through. I have never, ever, given up on a book without finishing it before, but I give in
Aimee DiBrienza
The Spanish Influenza, reborn

Good pacing, solid command of prose. Some predictability and stereotyping,especially of the Russian characters. Chilling reality, though, that deliberate epidemic is possible and it's effects disturbing.
Kristen
This was a great medical thriller about a manmade biological warfare that spreads like wildfire, making people sick and dying, in a race against time. If you like Michael Palmer, you like Earl Merkel. Very good action and drama.
Chandra Luke
Aug 24, 2009 Chandra Luke rated it did not like it
I picked this book up in a reading room. Not a spectacular book, but I'm determined to finish reading. I do have to say that the one thing I don't like about epidemic books is they're all the same.
Ben
Nov 06, 2011 Ben rated it liked it
I love this sub-genre. Probably because the thought of getting sick in such a gruesome way is quite frightening. I read this book ages ago, but I have positive memories of it.
Charles
Jun 21, 2009 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
I think this might have been Merkel's first book and I enjoyed it a lot. Good suspense and good characterization.
Becky
Aug 29, 2012 Becky rated it liked it
So I love disaster and coming plague novels. This was mind-candy but a good read.
Christine
Jul 14, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
Interesting that the book was written in 2002 and the epidemic is H1N1...
Rachel
Aug 05, 2008 Rachel rated it liked it
Typical medical thriller....moves along quickly.
Heather Marcotte
Heather Marcotte marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Jeff
Jeff rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2016
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Sep 27, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Monique
Monique rated it it was ok
Sep 21, 2016
Joy
Joy marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Ceilidh
Ceilidh marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Maridale Nickolson
Maridale Nickolson rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
  • Killing Mum
  • Blood Lies
  • The Embroidered Corpse (a Belinda Lawrence Mystery)
  • Unnatural Disasters
  • Funscreen
  • Spider Brains
  • Deadly Errors
  • The Eleventh Plague
  • Unearthing the Bones
  • The Oasis of Filth - Part 1
  • H10N1
  • Trapped in Whittier (A Trent Walker Thriller, #1)
  • The Shadow Chaser - Book 1
  • Dieselpunk ePulp Showcase
  • Death Rounds (Dr. Earl Garnet, #2)
  • Code White
  • The Transformed
  • The First

Beck Casey (3 books)
  • Fire Of The Prophet (Beck Casey #2)
  • Fallout (Beck Casey #3)