Start by marking “Vile Verses” as Want to Read:
Vile Verses

Vile Verses

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  697 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Roald Dahl is best remembered as the author of many well-loved children’s stories. But he was also the creator of some astonishingly imaginative, outrageous, and wonderfully disgusting verses. From oozing grobes to slimy slugs, this extraordinary collection is bursting with Dahl’s poems, verses, and songs. And with full-color original illustrations from a distinguished gro ...more
Published September 22nd 2005 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Vile Verses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vile Verses

Matilda by Roald DahlCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald DahlJames and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl
28th out of 33 books — 150 voters
Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald DahlDanny the Champion of the World by Roald DahlThe BFG by Roald DahlCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlRevolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl
Best of Roald Dahl
7th out of 104 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
These verses aren't especially vile, but the title is fun to say. Vvvvile Vvvverses. It's even more fun if you say it in your best Elmer Fudd imitation.

Most of the poems are from Dahl's novels and earlier poetry collections, but there are a few previously unpublished ones. When you read those, you'll understand why they were previously unpublished. The ones he wrote as a schoolboy are interesting because they show he had the droll morbidity even as a youngster. He must not have been a very good
Cierra Garrison
Feb 25, 2015 Cierra Garrison rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because of the author. Growing up I loved all Ronald Dahl books, so I figured I would more than likely love his poetry as well, I was right. I especially loved his take on Goldilocks and the Three Bears, calling Goldilocks such things as "thieving little louse" and "little beast" cracked me up. I'd never seen such a different spin on such a well known story.These poems could probably be used in up to a 4th grade classroom. If I was doing a lesson with this poem book, I woul ...more
David Choquette
Feb 14, 2014 David Choquette rated it it was amazing
One little boy gets eaten by a shark. One gets punctured by a hundred porcupine spines. A little girl swallows a whole bottle of laxatives and spends the rest of her days in the W.C. The children in Roald Dahl’s “Vile Verses” do not lead the simple, idyllic lives of those in Mother Goose or Robert Louis Stevenson. They get mashed, mangled and munched more often than not. Through his long and illustrious career, Roald Dahl pushed the limit of how irreverently silly a children’s book can be. And m ...more
Molli Hobgood
Apr 19, 2016 Molli Hobgood added it
Shelves: poetry
Roald Dahl is the creator of many different books and took part in creating some of children's favorite stories like Matilda and Willy Wonka. While this book is a collection of many different poems, songs and short stories, they all have one thing in common, the vile subject matter. They discuss disgusting gooey slugs and gloopy things too. But what really is the best part of the book in my opinion is the illustrations. There are many different illustrators involved with the book so it never get ...more
Kaethe
Jun 17, 2014 Kaethe marked it as to-read
I must get this edition for the PandaBat
Matthew Hunter
Sep 30, 2013 Matthew Hunter rated it liked it
Not bad, though I'd prefer to read the original works. This poetry collection's made up of snippets from Dahl's other works: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, The Enormous Crocodile, and a number of others. More than 25 different illustrators provide drawings to accompany the poems.

Sigourney and I had fun with the variety of illustration styles. And a number of the poems made us giggle. My particular favorite is
Caitlin Thorpe
Jan 23, 2014 Caitlin Thorpe rated it liked it
Title: Vile Verse
Author: Roald Dahl
Rating: 3/5
Paragraph #1: I liked the book. I liked the book because it poetry stuff from books I have read by Roald Dahl.
Paragraph #2: My favorite Part/Story was A Nobleman Visiting Courts, because he had funny boots on you should see what he wears when he is hunting.
My least favorite part/story was Mister Unsworth, because he would twist off one ear on each kid in his class.
I recommend this book to people who like poetry.
Ella Pyne
Apr 25, 2016 Ella Pyne rated it it was amazing
Having read this book as a child, and enjoying it, i decidied to go back to it this year, and see if i could get any more out of it. And i most certainly did. Reading and laughing over this book brought back so many memories, and the poems are brilliant. I really recommend this book for anyone of any age.
Cheyenne
Aug 24, 2015 Cheyenne added it
Shelves: poetry
I love Roald Dahl's books and I think his poems are equally enjoyable. These poems and illustrations work magically together to create an delight for all ages. I would have this available for my students to read during read to self and who also be a fun book to introduce students to poetry.
Ella Cracknell
Aug 02, 2014 Ella Cracknell rated it really liked it
I remember reading this when I was younger and using it as a book to study from when I played teachers with my teddy bears. they would be the students and i would ask them questions about each poem we read.

loved the illustrations in this book!
Jaz
Mar 12, 2014 Jaz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book I recommend it to anyone who loves Rahld Dahl and loves a good sing song. It will have you singing at the top of your voice in the middle of the night. It is a really cheat full book and I personally loved it.
Juliannahagen
May 13, 2016 Juliannahagen rated it really liked it
this book is really good and it is filled with poems from your favorite disney and nursery rhymes and the pictures throughout the poems and really good.
Liz
May 19, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing
Lively, fun with poetic versions of Snow White, Goldilocks and character pieces from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Excellent Read-aloud potential.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This collection consists of poems taken from various novels that Dahl has written plus some unpublished poems and poems that appeared only in American editions of his books. The unpublished poems, written in his childhood, were certainly not in the style in which he later wrote and not, in my opinion, as good. My favorite were the poems based on fairy tales, the poems from The Witches ("Down Vith Children!"), and "The Grobes". The illustrations were by various artists, most of whom interpreted D ...more
Matt
The real highlight of this compilation of verse selected from Dahl's other works is all the different illustrators involved.
Dree
Jun 29, 2011 Dree rated it really liked it
This book is largely made up of excerpts from his other books (James and the Giant Peach seems over represented). But there are also some previously unpublished gems in here. There are also a few that he wrote while in school--which are definitely not as good, and a little over the top. Makes me wonder how old he actually was!

So, I thought this was so-so, but my 8-year-old LOVED it. He has been reading a lot of Roald Dahl in the last 6 months, on top of what I have read to him, so he recognized
Ailyn Vidal
Apr 16, 2016 Ailyn Vidal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can never hate Roald Dahl, and in this happy book how can you feel bitter?
Ginnie Grant
Aug 04, 2014 Ginnie Grant rated it it was amazing
so much fun! Those who loved Shel silverstein will love this book.
Kassandra
Mar 02, 2016 Kassandra rated it really liked it
I love Roald Dahl and when I saw this book I had to pick it up! This contained excerpts from his other books and some unpublished poetry. I really enjoyed looking at the illustrations that were made by many different people. I could never get bored of reading from Roald Dahl and I wish he was still alive to write more books but that isn't the case. If you enjoyed Roald Dahl's books you will enjoy this one!
Deniss
Jan 18, 2014 Deniss rated it really liked it
Totalmente adicta a Dahl.
April
Mar 02, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Fantastic book for kids! So imaginative and creative. Easy read that children will find delightful!

Roald Dahl is always brilliant! His stories and rhymes are fun and entertaining! Some of my all time favorites!! Such a great way to entertain children and get them interested in reading!
Ashley Reads
Apr 04, 2012 Ashley Reads rated it it was amazing
I love Roald Dahl but had no idea this book of poetry existed. I picked it up because on first glance it appeared to resemble Shel Silverstein poetry and it actually did quite a bit. Some of the poems were a bit longer and bored the kiddos but I thought they were awesome.
Stan
Aug 08, 2015 Stan rated it really liked it
This is classic Roald Dahl, lots of fun.
Isaura
Nov 24, 2013 Isaura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic Roald Dahl humour. Some of these songs and verses come from other books of his (such as Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and so on), but others were previously unpublished.
If you like Roald Dahl, it's definitely worth a read
Nicola Turner
Jun 12, 2008 Nicola Turner rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
There are some really fun poems in here that remind me a lot of Hilaire Belloc. Many come from already published books but there are some new ones among them. It helps to have a British accent when reading.
Sawyer Montgomery
Sep 15, 2009 Sawyer Montgomery rated it really liked it
My favorite poems are in this book. Although this is a childrens collection, it also shows a good bit of Roald Dahl's darker sense of humor. It is enjoyable for both kids and grownups.
Xan
Mar 19, 2012 Xan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Roald Dahl
Poetry from some of Dahl most famous works, along with never before printed pieces, given new life by a host of brilliant illustrators. Definitely a worthwhile read for fans of the author.
Natalie Pietro
Jun 13, 2012 Natalie Pietro rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

The only thing I hated about this book is that I've read it all before. However the unpublished poems were great. Gave me something new to love.
Francie
Feb 10, 2009 Francie marked it as to-read
Saw this at the library and didn't check it out just yet. Excerpts of his books, some we've read & some we haven't. Can't wait to dig into it!
Beka
Mar 24, 2011 Beka rated it really liked it
Though many of the verses I've read before, there were several that weren't published before that make this a must read for Dahl fans.
  • Oops!
  • The Pepins and Their Problems
  • Poems to Learn by Heart
  • Dancing to Freedom: The True Story of Mao's Last Dancer
  • Antarctic Antics: A Book of Penguin Poems
  • A Children's Treasury of Milligan: Classic Stories and Poems by Spike Milligan
  • Medusa Jones
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Where Was Patrick Henry on the 29th of May?
  • Shiver Me Timbers!: Pirate Poems & Paintings
  • The Obstinate Pen
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...