Start by marking “Corto Maltese: Sous le signe du Capricorne” as Want to Read:
Corto Maltese: Sous le signe du Capricorne

Corto Maltese: Sous le signe du Capricorne (Corto Maltese #3)

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  389 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Costume de marin, cheveux bruns, anneau à l'oreille gauche. La silhouette élancée et élégante. Une lueur d'amusement et d'ironie bienveillante dans le regard. L'air de se tenir à distance. L'art d'observer choses et gens avec détachement. Certains le disent pirate. Lui se prétend gentilhomme de fortune... Ainsi apparaît Corto Maltese, fils d'une gitane andalouse et d'un ma ...more
Published by Editions Casterman (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Corto Maltese, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Corto Maltese

Joseph
May 04, 2015 Joseph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first of twelve volumes reprinting the various novels of Capt Corto Maltese by Hugo Pratt finds the good captain sailing around the northeastern coast of South America in the years 1916 and 1917. Smuggling, piracy, fortune hunting, and intrigue of all kinds make for some great adventure comics.

This oversized book is beautifully printed and has the nice addition of maps and a biography of Pratt as well.

Pick this up if you're a fan of European and/or adventure graphic novels.
Helmut
Dec 17, 2014 Helmut rated it really liked it
Von hier nach da
Letztlich beneide ich Corto Maltese. Er ist ein Wanderer, der sich vom Wind treiben lässt. Keine festen Bindungen, kein Besitzstand, kein Zwang. Wenn es ihm irgendwo nicht mehr gefällt, setzt er Segel und findet die nächste Insel, das nächste Abenteuer. In diesen 6 Geschichten, manchmal lose, manchmal etwas fester gekoppelt, zeigt sich dies wunderbar - jemand braucht Hilfe, und Corto Maltese springt ein. Dabei ist er keineswegs ein Gutmensch, sondern erhofft sich das eine oder an
Kenny
Feb 23, 2016 Kenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Superb. The perfect adventurer in a perfect adventure by the originator of the graphic novel the late and great Hugo Pratt.
Stewart Tame
Sep 24, 2015 Stewart Tame rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm overjoyed to see that we're finally getting what appears to be a definitive translation of Corto Maltese. The series is semilegendary in comics circles. One need look no further than the back cover blurbs on this book, which represent a who's who of modern comics creators. The introduction talks about this being a graphic novel, but it's really more accurately a short story collection. Corto Maltese and various associates appear in all of them, but the continuity between them is not always s ...more
matt
Mar 12, 2015 matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I am severely biased when it comes to the work of Hugo Pratt. I love it deeply. The beautiful ink work just blows my mind. Also, I used his comics to help myself learn Italian when I was there years ago, and I will always be grateful that he made such intriguing work that kept me engaged as I struggled with new vocabulary.
So I have a difficult time knowing what someone's response to this work would be if they just happened upon it at a bookstore. I imagine the art would impress anyone with an i
Dominick
Well drawn and entertaining action/adventure/historical/fantastical strip. Grounded realistically in the teens of the previous century, it also features fantastical elements such as apparently genuine voodoo or at least telepathy, and an ongoing narrative about the lost continents of Atlantis and Mu, though that idea is only introduced here. Presumably subsequent volumes pursue it farther. I'm not sure the fantasy and historical elements gel fully, but it's entertaining. (And possibly these elem ...more
Wayne McCoy
Jan 04, 2015 Wayne McCoy rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
'Corto Maltese: Under the Sign of Capricorn' is another reprint of the late 1960s-early 1970s series by Hugo Pratt. The adventure takes place around 1916 in the South Seas.

Corto Maltese, for those unfamiliar, is a mysterious ship captain and sometime ruffian who finds himself in the midst of trouble and always looking for a big score in buried or sunken treasure. He also finds himself on the edges of world conflict as he runs across plotting German captains.

This volume has a few stories, but the
Pturingan
Jan 17, 2016 Pturingan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit, there were some weird, awkward action poses which made me cringe but I greatly enjoyed the stories and the art for the most part and I have a bit of a bias for tales of high adventure with a nautical theme so I really liked this collection.
Theediscerning
Jan 06, 2015 Theediscerning rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
It looks OK, but appearances can be deceptive… With the e-arc I got I have no knowledge of this book except what's on the story pages, so I don't know if it's foreign or in English. It certainly reads like a very bad translation – people stating the obvious to each other, talking to themselves aloud and generally only hitting a semblance of regular speech if they are, paradoxically, Brazilian. The plot is complete hokum too – it starts with a boy with an unknown destiny courtesy of his heritage ...more
Abhinav
Set in the early half of the twentieth century, Maltese has a curious and adventurous spirit of life, with a heavy hue of personal profit motives, has a dark-shaded past which he vehemently denies to reveal to any of his acquaintances. Mingled with historical fiction, this is an interesting volume of comics to read. Unfortunately, the line quality of some drawings are lost in digitisation and the way the facial features of the Africans are depicted is more akin to those of primates and hence far ...more
Harris
Nov 28, 2015 Harris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, library-book
I first remember discovering Corto Maltese, a comic series very popular in Europe but all but unknown in the States by stumbling upon the only English translations published before this series in the University of Minnesota library back when I was a student there. Of course, a few in the series were missing. In spite of this, they were one of the first comic series I read as an adult.

What drew me into them was Hugo Pratt's lush, expressive art and the highly realized early 20th century historica
Helmut
Mar 07, 2013 Helmut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corto Maltese und Übersetzungen

Der Comic selbst ist eine typische Corto-Maltese-Geschichte. Sehr langsam, sehr gemächlich, ruhig und still. Ideale Lektüre für den Sommer auf Balkonien, wenn man selbst in dieser Stimmung ist.

Die Zeichnungen sind brilliant. Hier findet man kaum klare Linien wie bspw. bei Hergé, sondern die Tusche macht hier überall und ständig kleine Ecken und Kanten, Schnörkel und dunkle Bereiche, was einen ganz eigenen Stil erzeugt und meiner Meinung nach sehr zur Atmosphäre bei
Elle Markov
Jan 28, 2015 Elle Markov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The infamous Captain Corto Maltese finally comes to the English audience; created in 1967 by Italian comic book artist Hugo Pratt, Corto Maltese has enjoyed fame throughout Europe for decades. Hugo Pratt's stories of the sailor have been translated to various languages and now English.

In this book we see Corto Maltese adventures in the Caribbean and South America as he searches for treasure; meets new friends and some old ones.

The entire book is in black and white and is a composite of various s
Johanna
Jun 16, 2016 Johanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
midcentury adventure comics can a lot of fun if you can get past the racist and sexist stereotypes. one of the many genius things pratt does is employ those stereotypes--cartooning is much easier with shorthand--while holding each up for examination and finally deflating them. in fact, everything is up for grabs, pirates, voodoo, imperialism, all all are fabric for a big patchwork map of goofy thrills.
Paul Allard
Dec 02, 2014 Paul Allard rated it really liked it
Classic comicbook collection translated into English

I had already read this book in French many years ago and it was fun to re-discover it all these years later. There are 12 Corto Maltese books, originally written in Italian, and this was the third one published.

There are several adventure stories – all in black and white – linked together by common characters.

The whole is thoroughly entertaining even if a bit old-fashioned nowadays
Manuel-Antonio Monteagudo Gauvrit
If the Ballad of the Salt Sea had to be read as an epic, from start to finish, this second album is a collection of short stories. However, Pratt still displays his mastery as a storyteller: each story reads as a little, poetic tales, where Corto shines with his wit and poetry.

As always, Hugo Pratt doesn't let his readers down. I'm eager to read my next Corto Maltese!
Derek Parker
Feb 14, 2015 Derek Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had read a little Corto Maltese before, but my experience had been spotty. What's more, I have the colorized Universe edition, "The Ballad of the Salt Sea," that came out in 2012. This is a much nicer edition (and supposedly a better translation). I'm eagerly looking forward to the rest in IDW/EuroComics' Corto Maltese editions. This is one we discussed on The Comics Alternative podcast.
Isil
Oct 14, 2008 Isil rated it liked it
Shelves: xxe, aventure, bd, italie
J’ai toujours autant de plaisir à retrouver Corto dans ses aventures même pour une énième lecture. Sous le signe du Capricorne nous emmène en Amérique du Sud, de la Guyane hollandaise au Brésil. Le dessin y est toujours sublime. C’est du pur Corto, avec de l’aventure, de la bagarre, des femmes de caractère, une chasse au trésor. On y rencontre des personnages forts : Bouche dorée, Raspoutine…
Je le place un peu en dessous de La ballade de la mer salée car le paranormal est trop présent à mon goû
Nick Van
Jan 16, 2016 Nick Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corto Maltese is finally getting the translations he deserves. Another good book and adaptation into English. As for the story itself, it's very well told and drawn, if somewhat disjointed at times. Overall, very good, as usual.
Aildiin
Jan 28, 2015 Aildiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bandes-dessinees
Having read the french edition around 20 years ago I have to say this is a good translation and presentation and english speaking people should be glad they now have access to a quality edition of Corto Maltese adventures..
Aaron
Dec 20, 2015 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Corto Maltese is one of the crowning achievements of the comics medium. Some of this material was already published by NBM, I think, as "The Brazilian Eagle," but this book is the definitive edition.
Michael
Jun 15, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mysteries, pitting schemers against schemers, unfolding a twisted adventure across exotic locales and executed with graphic aplomb -- in short, wonderful adventure comics.
Dragan Nanic
Jun 25, 2016 Dragan Nanic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply beautiful edition!
Corto is unique and this book made me remember why :) For all the dreamers, incorrigible romantics (under the rough surface), for all the Shanes of the world, for all the Bogeys - Corto is an archetype.
Inimitable mastery of Pratt accentuates the mystic elements with freedom of representation, getting the long gone Mu closer just by drawing a simple smiling skull. Remarkable.
I have not had a chance yet to compare it to Serbian translation I read long time ago, but it kee
Alen Martinović
Sep 04, 2014 Alen Martinović rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pratt mi je puno jači u npr.Samarkandu kad se otkači nego u ovoj mlađoj fazi.
Kabuki
Kabuki rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Jesús T. Ruiz
Jesús T. Ruiz rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Patrick McCarty
Patrick McCarty marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Matias Mäki
Matias Mäki rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2016
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • The Hunting Party
  • XIII: Tome 2: Là où va l'Indien
  • L'œuf des ténèbres (La Quête de l'oiseau du temps, #4)
  • Le Secret de l'Espadon - 2 (Blake et Mortimer, #2)
  • La Fille sous la dunette
  • La galère noire (Thorgal, #4)
  • Honorata la trisaïeule (La Caste des Méta-Barons, #2)
219215
Hugo Pratt, was an Italian comic book creator who was known for combining strong storytelling with extensive historical research on works such as Corto Maltese. He was inducted into the Will Eisner Award Hall of Fame in 2005.

More on Huge Pratts' work:
More about Hugo Pratt...

Corto Maltese (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Corto Maltese: La jeunesse
  • Corto Maltese: La ballade de la mer salée
  • Corto, toujours un peu plus loin (Corto Maltese # 4)
  • Corto Maltese: Les Celtiques (Corto Maltese #5)
  • Corto Maltese: Les Ethiopiques
  • Corto Maltese en Sibérie (Corto Maltese #7)
  • Corto Maltese:  Fable De Venise
  • La maison dorée de Samarkand
  • Corto Maltese:  Tango
  • Corto Maltese: Les Helvétiques (Corto Maltese # 11)

“... women would be wonderful if we could fall into their arms instead of their hands.” 1 likes
“Kimbilir, belki kahramanlığa, cömertliğe inanan, soyu tükenmek üzere olan bir hanedanın son temsilcisi, yani, belki de salakların şahıyımdır !” 1 likes