Start by marking “Beyond Death (Afterlife, #1)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Death (Afterlife, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Beyond Death (Afterlife #1)

What really happens when we die? Claire Sylvester is about to find out. In her strange new world Claire watches the secret lives of those she loves unravel, while deciding who deserves to be saved.

And more than she knows depends on her actions, and those of her unlikely partner. Beyond Death a fast-paced paranormal thriller of life, death, deceit and danger.

Ken thought h
Kindle Edition
Published June 12th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Death

Bethan
Oct 31, 2014 Bethan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Free on Amazon (thankfully).

When I read the blurb I thought it sounded like a good idea for a book. Unfortunately, the blurb is probably the only well written thing about it, which was sad because the moral dilemmas faced by these characters could have made for a very interesting read.

It was very hard to pick out the main 'storyline' as there was so many different mini-plots going on. I did, however, like how all the characters interlinked throughout. It probably could have done with a stronger
Wesley Thomas
Nov 16, 2015 Wesley Thomas rated it it was amazing

This book is, quite honestly, sensational. It acts as not only great entertainment, but answers a burning question we all have inside. A question that has never been scientifically answered to great satisfaction. It is not only a page-turner, but has you thinking. Long after you have read this book, or the moments in between reading it, you will be wondering about the themes and issues within this incredible novel. That being said, let’s move onto what makes the book so remarkable and stand out
Jackie Parry
May 12, 2015 Jackie Parry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What happens to us when we die? Nobody knows for sure but it’s something I occasionally think about. Deb McEwan has obviously thought about it a lot to come up with this fascinating story about ‘life’ during and after death.
McEwan has creatively revealed one idea that is appealing. Angels, death, life, afterlife, and dysfunctional families intertwine to create a compelling tale balanced with enough paranormal and ‘normal’ to keep you flicking over each page when you’ve promised yourself an early
Charity Rowell-Stansbury
Mar 08, 2016 Charity Rowell-Stansbury rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Beyond Death combines several afterlife theories including limbo, purgatory, and reincarnation to spin an intriguing tale of love, revenge, deceit, lies, and forgiveness. There are several subplots in the book as the lives of both families intertwine through a series of events beginning with Ron's and Claire's deaths. The author does a great job of transitioning between the land of the living and limbo while taking readers on a
Moon Reviews
Aug 10, 2015 Moon Reviews rated it it was amazing
*i received in exchange of an honest review*

Brilliant, creative, emotional and deep, this book is just a great read!!! Well written with a wide spiritual flair and a thrilling interesting story, it was a real pleasure!!! Built with an entwined stories style, the first pages can be confusing as it jump starts directly in action....but I beg of you to continue!!!! You will slowly grow attached to the characters and climb on this amazing roller coaster that is "Beyond Death"!!!! This swirling story
Jennie Orbell
Nov 04, 2014 Jennie Orbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Bitter-Sweet Thought Provoking Read

Debbie McEwan's, Beyond Death (Book 1) is a bitter-sweet story of love, loss, secrets and revenge. Claire is 'taken' too early and, as an unearthly loose cannon has many lessons to learn before her future can finally be decided by the powers that be.
Ms McEwan has perfectly, and intricately, woven a real page-turner that tells the story of a great cast of characters - some nicer than the others and one in particular not nice at all. I smiled and almost punche
Rajalakshmi Prithviraj
May 20, 2016 Rajalakshmi Prithviraj rated it it was amazing
Death has always been a much contemplated subject and writing about life after death without being preachy is a herculean task. But Deb pulled it off brilliantly.

Told through the eyes of a young girl whose life's dreams are shattered, this book revolves around coming to term with realities and moving on. Yes, if you believe that souls never die, then it is also important to learn to let go. I wish I could say more about the plot but the narrative is so gripping that even a bit of disclosure woul
Rose English
Dec 12, 2015 Rose English rated it it was amazing
The whole series took me simply 4 days to read they were such page turners.

'Beyond Death' is the story of what could happen when you die, depending on how you conducted yourself during your lifetime on earth.

Claire Sylvester is a main character taken before her time, finding herself in between Heaven & Hell. She has so many questions for the angel that greets her, along with the man who caused their deaths. She wants to know everything.

Claire soon learns she can return to earth & discov
Yasmine
Jul 24, 2016 Yasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one that sparked my interest from the beginning to the very end. I believe this is my very first book about death and it didn't disappoint. Giving me the views of someone who was sent to heaven (sorta) and someone who was sent to hell.
I felt as though while the majority of the book was focused on the one who was sent to heaven, the one who was sent to hell wasn't left completely in the dark. There were no favorites to me.
While I myself feel like the book could have been written in
Diana Douglas
Mar 10, 2015 Diana Douglas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond Death is an entertaining book. A little slow at times, but never so slow that I felt the need to stop reading. The author's description of the afterlife is unique as is the Admin-Angel, Gabriella (six feet tall and black as a moonless sky) who guides Claire and Ron through the initial steps of this new existence. Their challenge is to help the dysfunctional families they've left behind. From the sobering description of a tsunami and the thousands of lives it claims, to the humor of 'newly ...more
Christine Hart
Aug 22, 2016 Christine Hart rated it really liked it
I'm always interested in reading books that explore life after death. Everyone has a slightly different take. This strikingly beautiful cover grabbed my attention and Deb McEwan's voice kept me hooked. Her vision of how two souls taken too soon adjust to their transition and cope with the loss of their loved ones and the lives they'd built is extremely compelling. Highly recommended to spec fic fans!
Joyce Pearson
Jul 27, 2016 Joyce Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. I've always wondered if those in heaven could intervene in the lives of their loved ones. I do believe that our family watches over us from above. This book keeps my faith in my beliefs of heaven and answered my previous wondering. I definitely recommend reading this heartbreaking, heart loving, emotions rollercoaster book. My thumbs are up to this book and to Deb McEwan.
I received this book for my own personal and honest review and I'm very glad I got to read this book.
Diane
Dec 14, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst a little slow to get into I really enjoy the book. I thought the idea behind it and the way the plot evolved was actually very clever and I particularly liked the way moral dilemma and a little social commentary were added to the story line to give it depth.
PEGGIE BAKER
Pretty good read.

If you like fairy tales that are pretty far fetched, you will like this book. It was fairly enjoyable, but not the type of story that I usually read. I did skip some parts. Probably won't read the rest of this series.
Sabi Edwards
Mar 10, 2015 Sabi Edwards rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-just-read
I did like this book and I'm curious to know what happens to the characters and I hope to eventually get the next book
Janet
Jun 08, 2016 Janet rated it really liked it
very good
Julia Bell
I enjoyed this story. It was full of interesting characters, both living and dead, with some very complicated relationships. I would have liked more dialogue since this is how a reader gets to know the characters in depth; more showing than telling, and I smiled at the spelling of bidet with B-day. But this is a lovely story to read at Christmas. Not a conventional ghost story, but a thought provoking concept of what could happen after we die. I can recommend Beyond Death.
Amy Minckler
Nov 29, 2016 Amy Minckler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Thus was a really nice read. It has a little bit of everything blended together reallt well. Characters are full and vibrant. Off to read the second one.

I got this book free in exchange for an honest review.
Deb McEwan
May 14, 2015 Deb McEwan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

This is my first of three books in the Afterlife series.
I used to wonder what it would be like to die and watch your family and friends from another place without being actively involved in their lives - a bit weird I know. So I decided to write a book about just that! The characters soon took on lives of their own and surprised me with their actions very early on. My story developed along with the characters and my single book turned into a trilogy.
If you do decide to read 'Beyond Death' I ho
Deb McEwan
May 14, 2015 Deb McEwan rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first of three books in the Afterlife series.
If you do decide to read 'Beyond Death' I ho
Joann
Mar 09, 2016 Joann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has potential

I will revisit this author in the future. She has the potential to write a best seller but isn't quite there yet. I enjoyed the characters and the premise of the book but the story was all over the place. It didn't flow well. It was very choppy. Again, I see the potential, but this book just didn't cut it this time for me.
BEATRIZ
BEATRIZ rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Nataliya Klymko
Nataliya Klymko rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
James Busse
James Busse rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2015
Patricia Doucette
Patricia Doucette rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Mardell Nelson
Mardell Nelson rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2015
Elizabeth Threshie
Elizabeth Threshie rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
rose gardea
rose gardea rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Sheri
Sheri rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
  • The Holy Terror: Captain William Nichols
  • Suffer The Children: A Ghost Story
  • The Murder Tree
  • On Quiet Nights
  • Finn's Ship (Finn's Fast Books, #1)
  • Bumrush the Fantasy
  • The Beach Hut
  • A Time-Traveller's Best Friend
  • Don't Breathe The Air
  • The Faerie Tree

Following thirty odd years in the British Army, Deb and her husband Allan decided to become weather refugees and settle in Cyprus.
Throughout her life Deb has dabbled with writing. Her first book was 'Reindeer Dreams' - a quirky rhyming Christmas story for children featuring Barry the reindeer and his family. Her first grown-up books about aliens and unearthly spiders could be explained as off the
More about Deb McEwan...

Afterlife (2 books)
  • Beyond Life (Afterlife, #2)

“realisation” 0 likes