Start by marking “Bread & Chocolate” as Want to Read:
Bread & Chocolate

Bread & Chocolate

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
A collection of short stories from one of our most popular novelists -- the perfect gift. A rich and wonderful selection of short stories. A TV chef who specialises in outrageous cakes tempts a monk who bakes bread for his brothers; a surprise visitor invites mayhem into the perfect minimalist flat in the season of good will; a woman explains her unique view of straying hu ...more
Audio Cassette, Unabriged , 0 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by Isis (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bread & Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread & Chocolate

Fran Macilvey
Jan 27, 2015 Fran Macilvey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Bread and Chocolate' by Philippa Gregory

B&C is not 'amazing' but is one of these books that I have bought several times. I tend pass on books after I have read them, but the characters and events in these short stories have a tenacious quality: through the years, snippets of them float in and out of mind (especially when I am reading other short stories)so that I have now been driven to buy another copy. It would probably be simpler just to keep it for a few years. B&C seems to have bec
E.M. Tippetts
Sep 12, 2011 E.M. Tippetts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection is a real showcase of Philippa Gregory's talent. I'd enjoyed her historical fiction, but this collection shows that she doesn't just excel at research and period detail, nor does she need hundreds of pages to tell a story. These short stories are mostly modern day and are in a variety of viewpoints from third person, to third person limited, to first person. I'd recommend this to anyone who likes a rich story, but who might not have hours to sit and read. I carried it ...more
Khaimah Bawingan
A collection of touching stories, some even heart-wrenching. Set in different periods, the stories are written in a thoughtful manner- vivid but not overwhelming. And yes, there will always be that little surprise at every end. Worth reading.
Lau
Dec 02, 2014 Lau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
As any collection of short stories, there were some better than others but overall, I enjoyed this book. It was perfect for this time of year for me because I had to prepare exams and classes, so I was able to read one or two in between college and work.

Mostly all the stories revolved around women. They were either the main characters or the ones that caused a greater effect on the protagonists. I quite enjoyed the different kind of women that Philippa Gregory created and I rooted for them and
Damaskcat
Sep 16, 2013 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hadn’t read anything by Philippa Gregory until I read this sparkling collection of seventeen short stories but I think I shall be reading at least some of her other books. The stories are a mixture of genres – historical, mystery, supernatural and stories about people going about their daily lives.

I enjoyed all the stories – which is unusual in such a collection – and I found them all to be of an equally high standard. I particularly liked the title story which features a monk who loves baking
Helen Stafford
A pensive set of tales, some with dark sinister messages, others which left you grinning. A mixed bag, which leaves you curious as to how each story will unfold.
Book-a-neer
Jul 29, 2014 Book-a-neer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sharon
Jun 12, 2011 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of stories by great author Phillippa Gregory. As with any compilation, some stories are better that others. I found the book took a little time to come into its own. Each story is special and thought provoking in its own way. favourites are The Conjuring Trick (very spooky!), The Wave Machine (lovely and sweet), The Magic Box (again quite spooky) The Visitor (gave me a lovely glow and warmed the heart) and Catching the Bus (a tale of the special relationship between a clever gi ...more
Lucy Buckley
Feb 01, 2014 Lucy Buckley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best collection of short stories I've ever read!
Mary
Apr 13, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
5 stars might be a little too high, but I really enjoyed this short story collection. All 17 are completely original in their interpretations. Well written, easy reads they are a range of subjects including a bread baking monk, women betrayed by men in widely different ways, a PhD thesis gone wrong, and even a Santa story. Memorable characters, poignancy, humor, and worthy of continued contemplation. Loved all of them.
Karina
Sep 12, 2012 Karina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a stirring collection of deliciously crafted short stories from Phillippa Gregory! Connected only by the theme of strong female heroines, each tale is unique, scintillating and downright scary at times. Great writing, sinister characters and deep psychological turmoil abound in this fascinating collection. Well worth a read!
Nicki
Fabulous collection of short stories with lots of different genres. Don't be fooled by the title as its not all foodie stories. I haven't read anything else by the author but certainly want to after reading these. In fact I wouldn't mind owning a copy of this as I'm sure I'd enjoy reading them all again sometime.
Laurel
Dec 31, 2009 Laurel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this collection of stories by Philippa Gregory; in fact it's my introduction to her fiction. Particular favorites were "The Wave Machine" and "Going Downriver" (very dark humor). Reading "The Visitor" touched on a past life of mine in many ways, even though it was rather predictable.
JT
Jun 23, 2015 JT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philappa's short stories remind me of those by Daphne du Maurier....they're either quirky, or dark. All of them are good and this is no exception. Plot lines are intriguing, characters are fleshed out and interesting, story lines are rich. It's an easy read and one for a long weekend of R&R.
JayeL
Feb 10, 2012 JayeL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audio, 2012
I think I may have read this before. I don't actually remember reading it, but the stories sounded familiar. A number of the stories were a little creepy or had an element of creepiness to them. The stories were well written, but they don't make me want to pick up any of the author's other books.
Natasha
Quite a few were kinda depressing in a dark way, but well written.

The conjuring story I thought was scarier than The Woman in Black! but I'm not used to reading horrors so maybe it's not that scary...
Shirley
Feb 11, 2010 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Greatest book of short stories I've read in years. All about relationships, and from many perspectives. A refreshing change of pace to pick up short stories that will hold your interest.
Saleris
Nice reading. A quick read, though doesn't feel like it due to the fact the stories are interesting enough to get engrossed in and you forget the time. . . in a good way.
Melinda
This is an interesting compilation of short stories - some of which are brilliantly written, truly endearing and emotional, while others seemed a bit lack-luster.
Sorcha
Collection of short stories from a woman better known for her historical fiction. UItimately forgettable however
Elizabeth Moffat
Didn't really get on with this book, some of the stories are just a little too strange! Quite clever in parts however.
Jill Charlotte
Jul 15, 2012 Jill Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wonderful- not usually mad about short stories but she is so surprising and such a sense of subtle humour ............
Abhineet Rai
Nov 29, 2008 Abhineet Rai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: aparna khanna
book of short stories by this brilliant author i liked all of them and thought that the book really made a good read
Stacey
Oct 19, 2009 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a good collection of stories about the choices women make in a number of different situations.
Chris Stanley
Dec 02, 2010 Chris Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice easy read mix of short stories easy to pick up and put down whenever you have ten minutes. Recommended
Denise
Jul 21, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed the short stories with a different feel to Philippa Gregorys other books.
Apr 14, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bread & Chocolate shows Philippa Gregory's range in story-telling and ideas.
Jan Parker
Such a strange little book filled with twisted little short stories!
Amanda
Nov 07, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories - women getting their own back!
  • The Gypsy Tearoom
  • Harry and the Bucketful of Dinosaurs
  • Apocrypha [illustrated] [translated]
  • The Adoption
  • Crime Never Pays
  • Redemption (a steampunk romance)
  • Calamity and Other Stories
  • The Nympho and Other Maniacs
  • Learning To Swim
  • Looking Back
  • First Friends (Those Who Serve)
Philippa Gregory was an established historian and writer when she discovered her interest in the Tudor period and wrote the novel The Other Boleyn Girl, which was made into a TV drama and a major film. Published in 2009, the bestselling The White Queen, the story of Elizabeth Woodville, ushered in a new series involving The Cousins’ War (now known as The War of the Roses) and a new era for the acc ...more
More about Philippa Gregory...