Start by marking “Life as a Vapor: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Faith” as Want to Read:
Life as a Vapor: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Faith

Life as a Vapor: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Faith

"You do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away" (James 4:14).

Living knowing that your life is a vapor is different than just living. Things here are passing away. You’ve got to hold on to what will stand. Savor what matters. This collection of thirty-one articles is full of that h
Published September 2nd 2004 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Life as a Vapor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life as a Vapor

Homeschoolmama
May 22, 2013 Homeschoolmama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-re-read, own
I've been struck lately with how short and delicate life is... how utterly unpredictable it can be, where one minute a person is alive, conversing with you, and the next day he's gone... just like that. And how things here on this earth are all decaying and dying.. trees, animals, people, food,-everything. We can't hang onto things in this life, b/c they don't last. "Every relationship you have now will end" was one of the statements in this book that resounded with me.

And so I was drawn to th
Joseph
Oct 26, 2014 Joseph rated it liked it
Shelves: my-library
In Life as a Vapor: Thirty-One Meditations for Your Faith, John Piper leads the reader through a month of devotions, focusing on specific Bible passages and themes to guide you through your day. Ending off with a little prayer, each meditation is just perfect for the Christian in his or her daily walk. Though I personally did not read it in one month, I found many of the chapters quite refreshing anyways. The way John Piper writes can be a bit dry sometimes; but the message shines through his wr ...more
junia
Sep 26, 2007 junia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fires-of-sancti
i am currently reading this anytime i frequent EBCT.
So every day i am there, i read one.

remembering: a relationship with God is on His terms and not mine. and to have the right eye. a good eye. so as to see true riches.

== definitely a book that i'll keep in my bathroom. if ya get what i mean ;-P
John
Apr 10, 2010 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
A collection of Piper's sermons put together in an essay format that can be read over the course of one month.

The theme of the book is that "life is short". My favorite essay was titled "A Call for Coronary Christians", discussing that our spiritual life should be similar to a heartbeat: always beating, always steady.
Natalie Weber
Oct 29, 2009 Natalie Weber rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Thirty-one short chapters made this book a nice devotional companion for my morning quiet times one month. Full of Scripture, commentary, anecdotes, and quotes, my heart was continually reminded of the overarching purpose in life – knowing God and living for Him alone.
Jared Daugherty
Jan 26, 2008 Jared Daugherty rated it it was amazing
We are but a mist that is here for awhile and soon vanishes. Is this not life itself? What are we doing that counts for anything? Life is short, know God.
Natalie Howald
Sep 19, 2010 Natalie Howald is currently reading it
i think its the 3rd time I've read it
Elizabeth Beck
Mar 20, 2017 Elizabeth Beck rated it it was amazing
Best daily devotional I've ever done!
Caleb Sweazey
Mar 29, 2014 Caleb Sweazey rated it liked it
Overall, this book presented a good reminder that our lives on earth are short, and that our aim must be to magnify God with everything we have by prizing and enjoying Him first. Piper's Christian hedonism shines through, and he presents devastating critiques of Greg Boyd's open theism, as well as to our culture's objections to God's command that we worship Him alone.

However, this book contained some concerning admonitions regarding approaches to life and calling, without clarifications. One wo
Jon
Dec 17, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it
31 daily readings to hit you hard over the head about living for another day. Each day ends with a prayer of application consecration. Great chapters include, “Taking the swagger out of Christian influence,” “The Fierce Fruit of Self-Control,” and “Why Satan is Left on Earth.”

I read this book for a heart-warmer in my devotions, and I was never disappointed. Cutting my soul quick and deep, Piper hit me over the head with quick convicting snippets of truth. I loved his succinct proclamation of act
Matt
Aug 07, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This is a devotional book with 31 readings to bolster your faith in Christ. Each one is 3-6 pages long and ranges from topics of self-control to Open Theism. Each reading is Christ-exalting and heart-challenging. My favorite part is that each reading ends with a prayer. I found these prayers to be useful when I was feeling spiritually “dry” and was able to adopt the prayers as my own. I also found them helpful to “jump-start” prayer times by praying about other things that were connected to what ...more
Derek
Sep 25, 2015 Derek rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great little devotional on how short life is and a reminder not to waste our lives on anything less than desiring and enjoying God.

To quote Piper, "God is the highest good of the reasonable creature, and the enjoyment of him is the only happiness with which our souls can be satisfied. To go to heaven fully to enjoy God, is infinitely better than the most pleasant accommodations here."

“whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a
Danarae Brouilette
Apr 14, 2008 Danarae Brouilette rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone searching for answers to purpose of life
This is an ongoing read, daily devotional. Piper puts things into a clear context that we are just a vapor in time here on earth, but eternity is certain for us all. Looking at life through the lense of being a creature of God who knows all, has control over all things and whose will cannot be manipulated or thwarted by anything or anyone.
Helps keep a positive perspective on life.
Tiffany
Jul 17, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was amazing

Read this in a month, one a day (or all at once like I did!) Piper addresses our hearts and turns us toward the Cross. I loved this book and the topics addressed. The prayers for each chapter were dead on too.
Selah Bell
Jan 07, 2013 Selah Bell rated it liked it
This book is interesting, and is best read a chapter a day, which I didn't do, as I had to read it in a week for school. If I had, I think I would have enjoyed it more, and I think it would have been more meaningful to me that way.
Joanna vdb
Mar 18, 2016 Joanna vdb rated it it was amazing
I have found this book so helpful. Our lives are short and this book helped me to put it into perspective, we need to be really careful how we spend are time here on earth as we don't have long so we should devote ourselves to nothing less than desiring, enjoying and glorifying God.
Belle
Jan 07, 2013 Belle rated it liked it
JPaul
Nov 30, 2015 JPaul rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorites. I read it for the first time not quite ten years ago. It's both helpful and challenging and works great for a devotional reading with 31 brief daily readings that are full Christ exalting, soul satisfying truth.
Lorna
Jun 30, 2015 Lorna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Very good 1 month devotional. Contains brief but thought provoking sections on a variety of topics linked by the central theme of the temporality of our life on earth.
Dan Kauchick
Jul 27, 2011 Dan Kauchick rated it really liked it
I really liked this book!
Gary
Feb 24, 2010 Gary rated it it was amazing
I've used this in my family devotional time and also my personal devotional time. 31 short stories/admonitions. Typical Piper: edifying, and Bible saturated.
Jrb
Jul 23, 2008 Jrb is currently reading it
Great so Far. Only on Meditation # 4 out of 31 thus far.
Heather
Jul 31, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
I'm reading one of these each day for the 31 days of August. Loving it so far!
John Root
Quick read. Good for a month's worth of refreshing your perspective.
Josue Olvera
Jun 02, 2016 Josue Olvera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Piper es muy bueno con estas cosas, muy profundo y claro.
Daniel Tai
a great break from your normal devotional material. Get ready for a challenge from scripture
Dustin
Apr 27, 2008 Dustin rated it really liked it
Shelves: piper
Good meditations
Wade
Aug 24, 2007 Wade rated it liked it
Shelves: christian-living
Solid, short reflections on Scripture.
Puan Sari
Jan 05, 2009 Puan Sari rated it liked it
Shelves: christianity
Hidup bagai rumput, yang hari ini kering dan besok akan layu...
Bagai uap, yang hari ini ada dan besok akan hilang...
Dawn Hale
Jul 13, 2012 Dawn Hale rated it really liked it
Great book! Gives you a fresh perspective on our short time here and our ultimate purpose....God's glory. beautifully writen in Piper's unique way.
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • The Joy of Fearing God
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • The God Who Is There: Finding Your Place in God's Story
  • Sermon on the Mount
  • Your Mind Matters: The Place of the Mind in the Christian Life
  • The Gospel According to the Apostles
  • What Is a Healthy Church Member?
  • Saved from What?
  • Growing in Christ
  • Jesus, Keep Me Near the Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter
  • Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time
  • A Gospel Primer for Christians: Learning to See the Glories of God's Love
  • All Things for Good
  • The Gospel & Personal Evangelism
  • Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?: Trusting God with a Hope Deferred
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...