An Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sport: . . .and Other Random Thoughts from Childhood to Fatherhood

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Painstakingly faithful to its title, Kenny Mayne’s book is neither complete nor is it particularly accurate. Ostensibly an A-to-Z encyclopedia of all known sports, many sports are never mentioned. There’s not a word about rugby, volleyball, Roller Derby, swimming, or (shockingly) Basque pelota or shinty. There is a chapter about sliding, but none about skiing. Competitive...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Crown (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about An Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sport

Gina
I think Kenny Mayne is hilarious. There were points in this book where I laughed out loud, but he actually had some rather touching parts as well. Who knew Kenny Mayne could be sensitive?

If the reader doesn't enjoy sports and/or Kenny Mayne, I do not think he or she would understand or appreciate the book.
Jeremy
I love Kenny Mayne. That said, I only liked parts of his book. I know he's very tongue in cheek and self-deprecating, but the extent to which he lampooned himself was a little off-putting. I mean, how many times do I have to hear about how terrible you think your book is and how dumb you're pretending to be while you write it?

That said, I really did enjoy reading it but am glad that I picked it up at a remaindered bookseller at the outlet mall. The best parts were Kenny slipping into memoir mode...more
Fred Forbes
I gave this one star because zero is not an option. I picked up the audio book for a drive from the Tampa area to Miami and back and immediately regretted only picking up one book since I was stuck listening to it. I am a sports fan and enjoy writers like Dave Barry, Colbert, etc. but this rambling, repetitive, non-insightful book is a mess. Now I know that his calling us idiots for buying and/or listening to it is supposed to be funny but it got old long before the tenth time he mentioned it. I...more
Kevin
Kenny Mayne is one of the guys on SportsCenter. The really dry and funny one. Imagine Dennis Miller if he wasn't an ass. I also love the surreal kind of meandering of some of the chapters in this (chapters include snowball fighting, electric tackle football, jai alai, and something called Orienteering). This may not sound like everyone's cup of Gatorade but you might say it's like a sports book done up McSweeney's-style.
AmblingBooks
Wisecracking sports broadcaster Kenny Mayne keeps dubious score of sports' absurdities, true and unsubstantiated history, off-the-wall trivia, and all things real and possibly made-up in this hilarious book.

Listen to An Incomplete and Inaccurate History of Sport on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
David
This book was hilarious. Like the title suggests, this book is neither accurate nor complete. Most of the time Kenny Mayne tells stories from his childhood and recent past; yet, it is incredibly funny and I enjoyed reading it. His satirical view on most, if not all, of the sports he covers is genius. An easy read and if you are a sports fan it is definitely something fun to do over a break.
Jonathan
If you've watched ESPN at all during the past few years, you know this guy. Well, the book reads exactly like he presents himself on TV. Very much a stream-of-consciousness thing. And very funny.

I was going to give this book three stars, but the chapter entitled "Tackle Football: Randall Cunningham" was worth at least one star all by itself.
Ben
There are a couple of very good bits in the book, about the standard things that are good in sports books--remembering the games he played as a kid, fond memories of his father, his dealing with personal tragedy. However, there is quite a bit of filler that really is a waste, and while it's not hard to wade through, it is more work than it's worth.
Mark
I'm stuck over the President's Day weekend with completed novels, so I dug through my son's Christmas gifts and hit upon this on...I like Kenny Mayne on ESPN and the irreverence he often brings to his productions...this same irreverence comes through in this project...on a par with or maybe just a little below Dave Berry on many of the same subjects
Brent Steensma
Jun 11, 2008 Brent Steensma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This is one of the 5 people I'd have over for dream dinner! I met Kenny, too! We have a lot in common: We both order triple tall americanos, we both went to Wenatchee Valley College, we both broke legs in football games, we both like horse racing, and we both agree tackle football is the greatest sport in the world...
Myke
4 stars because it is so funny, and 4 stars because he is actually a rather good story teller. I learned nothing about sports from the book outside of his point of view and his personal stories.
A quick read, and definately worth it for a laugh.
Joey
Everything I could have wanted out of a book written by Kenny Mayne. The interest in sports is there, for sure, but also his unique blend of humor and "Where did THAT come from?" story-telling makes it a very enjoyable read.
Hayden
Funniest book EVER! Written in the exact same way Kenny does his sports stories, including wild tangents, mini-rants and absurdly random thoughts that have you wondering exactly what goes on in his head.
Jonathan
Not the most well-written book I've ever read, but it made me laugh. Kenny did a reading at Amazon, so I had heard a few of the stories straight from the horse's mouth. Worth taking a day or two to read.
Nate Bringhurst
You will like this book if you like Kenny Mayne and his type of humor. But even then it gets a little old after 30 or so pages. I enjoyed reading it in spurts.
Robert
Pretty funny book. I enjoyed the pictures in the book provided by his two kids (5 and 7-years old). If you enjoy his dry humor you will like the book.
Joel
Currently reading this and i love it, Kenny Mayne had to deal with some great tragedies in his life, which i could relate with, well written
Steve
If you like dry wit, Kenny Mayne is hysterical. However, his schtick gets old 50 pages into the book.
D. George
Almost always amusing, often hilarious, and at times even touching. Great light reading.
Judy
Don't have to be a sports buff to enjoy this book-love his sense of humor.
Backholm
pretty funny stuff if you like people with a dry sense of humor.
Melodee
This guy is a crack up. Pointless info, but he's funny
Karajaye Roberts
surprisingly lighthearted fun read from the Dollar Tree
Becky
One of the funniest books I've ever read!
joe touzel