Start by marking “What If God Were the Sun?” as Want to Read:
What If God Were the Sun?

What If God Were the Sun?

Since the 1980s, psychic and medium John Edwards has brought solace to millions by helping them to communicate with their loved ones who have passed away. In his debut novel, What if God Were the Sun?, Edwards uses his skills as an author and lecturer to tell the moving story of a family confronting death for the first time. Informative, enlightening, and ultimately uplift ...more
Published November 15th 2000 by Jodere Group (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about What If God Were the Sun?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If God Were the Sun?

Sep 17, 2010 booklady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Tama
A one day read. Given to me by a co-worker, I found the opening chapter intriguing. It's pop-spirituality and by a psychic at that, but nevertheless, I don't dis-believe that our emotions are strong forces for the good or harm of others we love. This book could well be helpful, a cathartic read for someone suffering a delibitating loss of a loved one, so long as it was moderated by theologically sound counseling.
Mar 18, 2008 Rana rated it really liked it
Not as good as his first book, but I liked the idea that the book was based on.
Feb 21, 2008 Jaime rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has lost someone
Really good book...makes you think and cry. Gives you hope...
Eirian Houpe
Jan 31, 2013 Eirian Houpe rated it really liked it
An Excellent Example of Letting Go With Grace

John Edwards in one of those extra-ordinary people who live their life in grace and consequently seem to be able to project that sense of calm at the passing of our loved ones, for we will all experience such a loss at some time in our life. What if God Were the Sun is a short novel that does just that... shows how to live, and let go, with grace and dignity, in love and joy. The novel does have a slightly 'semi-autobiographical' quality to it, but th
Jan 11, 2013 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
I would highly suggest this book for anyone who is dealing with grief. It doesn't matter if you have lost a family member, a friend, or a pet, grief is an emotion we all experience in our own way, but it is also universal. This short story covers many forms of passing in a heartwarming and touching way, following the family of one man, who certainly seems based on the author in many ways. This is a book that you will keep and be able to read whenever you need that uplifting reminder that life co ...more
A quick read. I bought this at a book store, The Third Place, in Seattle, thinking it would be a bit more philosophical or speculative. The story is a novel about death, family, and the strength and power of belief in God, as learned from an older generation and passed to a younger one. Many good quotes and observations. Many would consider it sappy; I thought it nice. And, yes, well written.
Apr 24, 2014 Lorne rated it it was amazing
It is such a good Book I recommend to anyone who lost someone they love, I couldn't stop crying, it such a surprising ending, and it was a very quick read. I read it in an hour and a half and I enjoyed it very much !:) and I want to thank my mom for nagging at me to read it because it's a favorite :)
Maria Carmo
An enchanting tale of love and tenderness, several generations of the same family whose love guides them through heartache and loss. Beautifully written, a light style that is easy to absorb and so close to reality that one feels as if reading the story of our neighbors next door!
I loved it.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 21st. October 2013.
Rhodora Fitzgerald
Nov 27, 2011 Rhodora Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
This is a quick easy read. I enjoyed it so much the first time, that I read it again sometime later... because I couldn't remember what it was about. It's been a couple of years since I read it now...and again... I can't remember much about it. I know I enjoyed it, but can't figure out why it doesn't stick in my head. Maybe I'll read it a third time?
Aug 22, 2008 Audrey rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Someone wanting inspiration because of a loss of a loved one.
I mooched this from thinking it was a non fiction by Edwards. It turned out to be fiction. I read it anyway thinking it would at least have his perspective. I think it did. It was a very quick read and I enjoyed it.
Feb 14, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing
I thought this was an excellent quick read. If you have ever lost someone who is close to you I think this book can help. It confirms what I already believe to be true...that our loved ones aren't ever really gone and that they do show us signs that they are still around watching over us.
Aug 27, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who are trying to cope with the loss of loved ones
This book might be too painful for some people to read, but for me it was quite meaningful. It's not a book I would recommend to anyone if they've just lost someone though. It could bring forth a lot of emotional grief if you haven't given yourself enough time to heal even a little.
Dec 27, 2012 Panda1602 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A look at traditions and values that have been passed on through generations. Beliefs around life, death and God are weaved into the story. There is an in-depth look at passing between the two veils of lived and unlived, and how this may effect people. Good quick read.
Susan Marie
Jan 31, 2016 Susan Marie rated it did not like it
I was not able to finish this book which is rare for me. It is depressing and I only read one chapter and did not want to continue. It may be that I am not in a place to read a book regarding illness and death.
Garwen Jackson
Aug 28, 2011 Garwen Jackson rated it did not like it
One of THOSE books where I kept reading it, read the WHOLE story, hoping it would get better, didn't work for me.
Oct 07, 2015 Juliewheatcox.Net rated it really liked it
This book offers an easy to understand explanation about life, and what to expect when we die. It would be great for people who are afraid of dying, or someone who is grieving a loss.
Bettykay Sneed
Nov 05, 2008 Bettykay Sneed rated it liked it
I've read quite a few books on the subject of grieving since I can't seem to stop grieving my mom's death. I wouldn't say this is the best book about grieving that I've read.
Aug 24, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing
it was a heart warming story i even cried a few time i couldn't put it down i take my hat off to john edward he knows how to reach his readers i recommend this book
Dawn Johnson
Apr 23, 2015 Dawn Johnson rated it did not like it
Not impressed. I thought it was going to be good at first with the sharing of some honest feelings with the loss of a relative, but then the author got a bit confused as to his message.
Nov 22, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing
Get your Kleenex ready! This was a really great matter what your religion. If it makes you's a good book!
Diane Wachter
Mar 01, 2016 Diane Wachter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
HB-B @ 2001, 8/01. A novel. Story about a close-knit family and their way of dealing with life, love and death. Very good. A good book for grief.
Jan rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Arielle88 rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2014
Alison rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Julie Ketsdever
Julie Ketsdever rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2009
Jeff rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Amanda Cowher
Amanda Cowher rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2012
Suzanne Bazner
Suzanne Bazner rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
KDK H rated it it was ok
May 28, 2008
  • The Miracles of Archangel Michael
  • Psychic Children: Revealing the Intuitive Gifts and Hidden Abilities of Boys and Girls