Start by marking “Dangerous Dames” as Want to Read:
Dangerous Dames

Dangerous Dames (Zachary Nixon Johnson #1-2)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An omnibus edition of The Plutonium Blonde and The Doomsday Brunette

Double your pleasure, double the laughs with this omnibus edition featuring Zachary Nixon Johnson, the last freelance PI on Earth. It's 2057, and Zach is partnered with an experimental A.I. named HARV. In what is both an homage to and parody of the great heyday of pulp fiction, they solve cases involving
Published April 1st 2008 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Dangerous Dames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dangerous Dames

Joshua Palmatier
Mar 20, 2009 Joshua Palmatier rated it really liked it
This is an omnibus edition of the first two books in an ongoing series. The books are: The Plutonium Blonde and The Doomsday Brunette. I've reviewed both of the books here at GoodReads, but here are the reviews in their entirety for the omnibus:

The Plutonium Blonde: OK, I saw one of the later books in this series on the shelf, thought it looked interesting . . . but still didn't buy it, mostly because it was pretty deep into the series. In fact it was so deep in the series that I sort of decided
Paul
Jul 15, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
So far I am very happy with this series. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading it, but the first two books in this omnibus edition have hooked me.

I am a big fan of comedic sci-fi. I love watching Futurama and Douglas Adams will forever be one of my favorite authors of all time. That being said, when I picked up this book, I had no idea it was going to be futuristic comedic sci-fi wrapped up in a mystery pulp noir action adventure setting. I never thought these multiple genres coul
Jim
May 14, 2008 Jim rated it really liked it
The Zack Johnson books have been described as part parody, part homage to the old pulp detective novels. It's fifty years in the future. Zach Johnson is the last licensed P.I. on Earth. He's a bit of a celebrity, which means he gets some interesting cases. In book one, Zack and his partner HARV (supercomputer extraordinaire) must track down a homocidal plutonium-powered android superbabe. Book two sets Zach and HARV out to learn who murdered a genetically enhanced superbabe. (There's a bit of a ...more
Adam
Jan 17, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
Detective pulp satirizing everything. With lots of references to the greats at doing exactly that. This book is hilarious, with a good story and a great narrator. Science fiction detectives with computers in their brains never narrated their own actions so well. And indeed, dames walk into offices.
Cissa
Mar 23, 2010 Cissa rated it really liked it
Very silly fun. Every time I thought it had already gone over the top- it did so again. This is a omnibus of the first 2 books in the series, and far more fun than the fourth one, which I read previously.
KimStitch
Jul 05, 2015 KimStitch rated it liked it
This book was totally fun. Cheesy, full of cyborgs and crazy women out for revenge, and a hard boiled detective that would fit in the 1920s (if it wasn't for the guns, body armor and android, ai PDA)!
Xiaron
Feb 05, 2012 Xiaron rated it really liked it
Not usually a fan of comedy styled books, but these two were great! I couldn't put them down and even ended up staying awake past bedtime to finish reading the second one.
Ray
Sep 18, 2009 Ray rated it really liked it
This was a fun mix a noir thriller with a sci-fi vibe. A big book, but it moves along so nicely that it feels like a much shorter story.
Doanie Frederick
Dec 07, 2012 Doanie Frederick rated it liked it
Totally enjoyed this book. Nice plot twists, great take on the hard boiled detective, fantastic computer!
Read Ng
May 10, 2012 Read Ng rated it liked it
An interesting twist on a future private eye.
Ladiibbug
Jan 26, 2009 Ladiibbug marked it as to-read
Lib. p/b shelf. Maybe?
Ron Judenberg
Ron Judenberg rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Bryan Schmidt
Bryan Schmidt marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Marci
Marci marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Rachael
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Ali Hultz
Ali Hultz rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
John Nabors
John Nabors rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Eddie Ouille
Eddie Ouille rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2016
Shane Phillips
Shane Phillips rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Vic Goetz
Vic Goetz marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Geewhiz
Geewhiz rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Rob Robinson
Rob Robinson marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
From the Author's Website

John Zakour is a humor/sf/fantasy writer with a Master's degree in Human Behavior and slowly plugging away at his Ph.D. He has written zillions (well, thousands) of gags for syndicated comics and comedians (including: Rugrats, Grimmy, Bound and Gagged, Dennis the Menace and Joan River's old TV show.) John also writes his own syndicated comic, Working Daze for United Media.
More about John Zakour...

Zachary Nixon Johnson (7 books)
  • The Plutonium Blonde