Start by marking “Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt Manipulators: A Biblical Response to Ronald J. Sider” as Want to Read:

Published January 1st 1986 by Institute for Christian Economics (first published 1982)

Be the first to ask a question about Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt Manipulators

Douglas Wilson
May 29, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Excellent.
Jacob Aitken
I read this book the first time five years ago. I did so then because I wanted to understand market economics from a biblical perspective and to respond to the Socialism being taught at my college. I read it the second time this year because it is funny. How to begin? A few caveats: 1) while defending much of the market and quoting Austrian sources, Chilton realizes where to draw the line. The Reformed tradition (WLC question on 8th commandment condemns usury) is anti-socialist but not Libertari ...more
John
Apr 06, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
This is a manifesto for a biblical perspective on wealth, economics, labor, dominion, and law. It is also one of the best books you'll read on any of those topics. That this was originally penned as a response to Ronald Sider's book Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger has likely pigeon-holed this book in ways that have limited its influence and appeal.

Having read Chilton's works on eschatology and loved them, even I was reluctant to pick this up. But oh, how mistaken I was. This is a marvelous b
Argin Gerigorian
May 10, 2013 Argin Gerigorian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
This week I picked up a book recommendation I heard a while ago during a sermon by Joseph Morecraft in his Proverbs series. The author is the late David Chilton whose works I’m greatly indebted to and his keen insight on economics, theology and eschatology have tremendously helped shape many of my beliefs. The title is “Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt Manipulators” a biblical response to a “christian scoialist” named Ronald Sider.

This book of was written in 1981 as a critique of Sider’s
Luke D
Mar 02, 2015 Luke D rated it it was amazing
This is outstanding (especially in saying it was written in only 6 months!). Gives a thoroughly Biblical perspective on economics and poverty. Shows what really is at stake today as our governments sinfully take over more and more of the market, eliminating man's God-given responsibility to fulfil the dominion mandate and work wholeheartedly for the glory of God and the blessing of their nation. Chilton has a great sense of humour, which makes it so enjoyable to read! The glossary at the back al ...more
Matthew
Nov 07, 2016 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book was an excellent introduction to a biblical view of the market system. It not only clearly laid principles for a prosperous economy, but how sinning against God's Law is retards economies. The solution is essentially threefold:

1.) Regeneration through the Gospel and Continual Discipleship

2.) To repent of sinful economic procedures, especially those that hurt the poor (unbiased welfare, tariffs, fractional banking, etc.)

3.) Build the markets upon the Law of God

Chiefly, this book is a cr
Daniel
Mar 19, 2017 Daniel rated it liked it
Interesting. I prefered Rushdoony's Politics of Guilt and Pity. But I greatly appreciated Chilton being specific and naming names and pointing out the dangerous leaven of Siders.
Chad
Jan 25, 2017 Chad rated it liked it
Chilton’s book is written in response to another book that I haven’t had the chance to read, Sider’s Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger. I found Chilton’s book after listening to a video from Prager University. The book is a very polemic, cutting work dedicated to tearing down statism, the idea that the government can solve all our problems, in particular, poverty. From what I understand, Sider advocated a very extreme form of socialism based on Christian principles. Essentially, we should rest ...more
Heather Denigan
Fun, biting offense against 'Christianized' Marxism. When we see the poverty-swept dilapidation of third-world countries, a grandiose program looks like the only sufficient solution. Especially with the right Bible verses plastered on the argument. We need a bigger vision: we need to understand first the Creation/Cultural Mandate and the Great Commission, the nature of our work, and how to apply the Word to life. Chilton lays this all out, smashing fallacies, presenting an integrative reading of ...more
Taylor Bradley
Aug 10, 2013 Taylor Bradley rated it really liked it
I wasn't familiar with sider, and it's hard to imagine someone could draw such conclusions from the bible. Chilton does a fantastic job of show the error in his position. You might have trouble with his conclusion I you are an amill but I suggest reading anyway.
Tom
May 18, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
What is essentially a response to Ron Sider's statist "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger" goes well beyond mere criticism and posits a positive plan of action of how to respond biblically to those with needs. The introduction from Gary North is in of itself worth the price of the book.
Becky
Mar 29, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
Excellent and even hilarious at some points.
Thomas Achord
May 16, 2015 Thomas Achord rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
The common socialist/Marxist narrative never goes away. Thus, this biblical response remains helpful and needed today.
Frank Brito
Sep 11, 2014 Frank Brito rated it it was amazing
Excellent
Chris Dunn
Chris Dunn rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2010
Aaron Slack
Aaron Slack rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Adam Ross
Adam Ross rated it it was ok
Jan 16, 2009
Dennis Mcclure
Dennis Mcclure rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2011
Jennifer Wortham
Jennifer Wortham rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Thomas Kidd
Thomas Kidd rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Jeff Roberts
Jeff Roberts rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Ryan
Ryan rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2009
David
David rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2012
Daniel Wells
Daniel Wells rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Felipe
Felipe rated it really liked it
May 06, 2010
Shane Wear
Shane Wear rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2015
Elise Reich
Elise Reich rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
David Harold Chilton (1951–1997) was a Reformed pastor, Christian Reconstructionist, speaker, and author of several books on economics, eschatology and Christian Worldview from Placerville, California. He contributed three books on eschatology: Paradise Restored (1985), The Days of Vengeance (1987), and The Great Tribulation (1987).

His book Productive Christians in an Age of Guilt-Manipulators: A
More about David H. Chilton...