Start by marking “The Warren Commission Report: Report of the President's Commission on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy” as Want to Read:

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  446 ratings  ·  38 reviews
President Lyndon B. Johnson, by Executive Order No. 11130 dated November 29, 1963, created this Commission to investigate the assassination on November 22,1963, of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States. The President directed the Commission to evaluate all the facts and circumstances surrounding the assassination and the subsequent killing of the
Published February 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Warren Commission Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warren Commission Report

David
I'll save you a lot of time. Take a sheet of blank paper, and write the following phrase on it -- "The Wicked Witch swooped down on Dealey Plaza, waved her flaming broom and killed the president." That sentence is about as logical as 95% of the conclusions the Commission reached in a huge waste of taxpayer money. It's been more than 40 years since President Kennedy was killed, so the trail to his killers has gone cold. The conspirators may already be dead. If not, they are nearly 45 years older ...more
Brenna
There is no grassy knoll in the Warren Commission Report. There are no mysterious "magic bullets" or recitations of "Back and to the left." There are but factual observations, known evidence, and legal depositions. Together, these pages formulate a strong case against Lee Harvey Oswald - and he alone - in the assassination of the 36th President of the United States.

Prefaced by the publishers as being "A Document Of Great Historical Importance," the Warren Commission Report contains great detail
Alison Becker
In reading the Warren Commission Report I drew the following conclusions:

1. The Report completely fails to identify a clear or convincing motive for Lee Harvey Oswald to have shot and killed the President. They dance around a lot of "facts" that supposedly indict him, but the biggest question - why - is never directly answered or satisfactorily confronted.

2. Even without examining the supporting documents or original testimony, the logic of many of the Commission's conclusions is dubious at best
Ray
Feb 07, 2008 Ray marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just to think this is considered the official report and was placed in schools to tell of a true event. How crazy is that! 54 witnesses saw smoke from that grassy knoll within 10 seconds of the fatal shot (FROM THE RIGHT FRONT!). IF NO ONE HAS SEEN THE FULL CLIP OF HIS HEAD BEING BLOWN OFF FROM THE FRONT, YOUTUBE IT, TELL ME IF THAT BULLET CAME FROM 8 FLOORS BEHIND HIM. The scary thing is, by 1967 when one Jim Garrison opened the case (and years later wrote the book on the acct) witnesses were d ...more
John
"The great masses of the people more easily fall victim to a big lie than to a little one”
----- “Mein Kampf” Adolph Hitler

Friday, November 22, 1963 --- Everyone can recall exactly where they were and what they were doing when they first learned of this tragedy --- I was reading Paul Horgan’s “A Distant Trumpet” when I decided to take a break and turn on my small 9 transistor radio. Once I did there was talk of an Assassination and it seemed odd but my mind easily conjured up perhaps a discussi

WHERE'S THE REST OF IT?

I'd like to say I read it all, but it's listed as containing 888 pages, yet my book only contains 366 pages, comprising 208 pages of text, plus another 158 pages of Appendices. Where are the other 522 pages? They've been classified and sealed from the public.

So the official record available to the public only represents about 40% of the investigating committee's findings.

I will admit that I couldn't really read the 366 pages available to me, as so much of it is in the dry
Anna
I don't know that you can really rate/review this just because of it's nature; but, what I can say is that anyone who wants to have an in-depth discussion on the Kennedy assassination should read it. Historians like to know that you look at all sides :P
Cathy Dosch
I must say I was highly disappointed. What was supposed to be the "complete" report of over 850 pages, turned out to be less than 400. I am a Kennedy assassination nut, to put it mildly, and was looking forward to reading the ENTIRE report, ALL exhibits and interviews, as originally published. Why were parts omitted? WHAT was omitted? American censorship again raises it's ugly head. I wanted to rate this five stars, but with over 400 pages of information missing I'm not even able to give it it t ...more
Matt
An important historical document, despite barely trying to hide how false and misrepresentative it is.
Brian
I think the "rush to judgement" argument can be put to rest at least.
P
A long technical report that by the end of the 800 pages hasn't said anything. An obfuscation or coverup.
wally
i read a copy of this, the cover was gone, it had been read, a lot. way back when....for congress...maybe it had to do w/the time, the issue, but it was an interesting read.

found some old congressional records in this house i remodelled. from 1935. i think the intent was insulation...all that hot air, documented, huey long and folk...course, that was 1935...and the wcr was the 60s. big thick book full of what they knew at the time...or what they told the public...in plain, easy to read language.
Marc
It's a judicial volume. It's not something you enjoy reading, especially in this case. Must be read along with all the many conspiracy books that have come out since. It is the official record of what happened, even if you don't believe it, and I don't. The part that is most unbelievable about it is the level of incompetence exercised by all the "professionals" that are connected to this even. Scary that this could happen in the "protector of freedom in the world." It stands only as an embarrass ...more
Sara Jo Schmidt
Interesting, factual read about the investigation into the JFK assassination. After reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63, I kind of had a brief obsession with JFK. It's over now, reading the Warren Commission report got that out of my system. If you like history and enjoy reading factual information, this would be a decent read. Was difficult to read o the kindle...and the pictures were not available (although I found many of them online). Wouldn't mind to see a hard copy of this book for the pictures ...more
Tom Schulte
I read this a long time ago. So, I am left with impressions but rather than details. Well, there are two main impressions: First, it is a very dry read as one would expect for a government body investigation report. Secondly, so many bullets found at the scene and so many people shot (not just those in the car), that it is hard for me to believe it was a single gunmen that less loose all that ammo in six seconds. Still, I suppose it is possible....
Todd
Wow, a long read, and I actually did not get through the entire book. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy reading the first portion of the book, which really gives the facts around all that happened. After that, it was very difficult to read and stay interested. If you are interested in the unkown mysteries of our country, try and get through the first portion of this...it is amazing this could actually happen in the US.
Fredrick Danysh
Following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, a government commission was created to investigate the assassination. This abridged report contains information about the shooting but many details are missing. An interesting fact is that most of the witnesses died within five years and information that would indicate a plot or additional perpetrators are missing.
Sally
Actually I bought this for someone else. But, I have started to read it. The introduction reads like an attorney giving his compelling final statements...It wont be too long before the 50 years mandatory sealed records will be opened. Then maybe we will know what the truth is.
Sadly, I parted with this before finishing it. But I know where to find it!
Becki
I do find this to be a very interesting report. As time has passed and we come to understand what happened that day, one can really see the flaws in this report. The flaws the police made and the cover up of the autopsy are obvious. What a shame and a waste of money. No justice given to the President, the family, and our country in this report.
Kristin
First I want to explain, a book written about the death of an amazing man will never get a 5. That being said, it was an very non enlightening book. I was flabbergasted with the applied science. I am not sure how others feel, I have a tendency to not look at other reviews when I do one, but for myself, the book was amusing.
Carl Owen
I will never be convinced that all this was done by a lone gunman. In my opinion it was just one big coverup. Was Johnson somehow involved. And I really thought that Gerald Ford would shed some light on this before he died (he was on the Warren Commission). But we will probably never know the real truth!
Shawn
It is the government's version of the Kennedy assassination. It would be like Adolf Hitler writing a book on the Holocaust. Interesting only from the perspective to read the actual story the people behind the assassination sold to the public.
Heather
This can be a tedious and boring read but if you are interested in the assassination of President Kennedy, then you should definitely read this report on it. I found it interesting and informative.
David-jacky Breech
Was it so long to cover-up the truth or to just make sure everything was covered so there would be no question of what really happened?
Greg Parrinello
A well written book of lies. The truth is so evident but leave it to politics and politicians to pull down the shades.
Angel
I read this book when I was in 7th grade...my dad had it around the house...Kennedy's autopsy pictures freaked me out.
Cordell
Boring, interesting, long, not long enough, excellent topic coverage not, enough coverage, this book has it all.
Marieluca Grech
No JFK assassination conspiracy obsessive can be complete until she reads the original and see it has had a bad wrap.
John
took for ever to read but was very complete leaving no doubts about there being no conspiracy or any others involved
Jeffrey Guterman
An interesting work of fiction. The only problem is that the book aims to describe the truth.
Fascinating 1 5 Aug 12, 2010 08:15PM
  • High Treason: The Assassination of JFK & the Case for Conspiracy (Carroll & Graf)
  • Last Word: My Indictment of the CIA in the Murder of JFK
  • Mortal Error: The Shot That Killed JFK, A ballistics expert's astonishing discovery of the fatal bullet that Oswald did not fire
  • Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy
  • Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Case Closed
  • Legacy of Secrecy: The Long Shadow of the JFK Assassination
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • The Echo from Dealey Plaza: the True Story of the First African American on the White House Secret Service Detail and His Quest for Justice After the Assassination of JFK
  • On the Trail of the Assassins
  • Five Days in November
  • Kennedy
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
  • The Kennedy Detail: JFK's Secret Service Agents Break Their Silence
Complete Guide to the 1963 JFK Assassination: The Full Text of Three Major Reports - Warren Commission, House Select Committee, and the Assassination Records Review Board - President John F. Kennedy The Official Warren Commission Report on the Assassination of President John F. Kennedy. A Concise Compendium of the Warren Commission Report on the Assassination of John F. Kennedy