Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #1)

Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione (The Knights of Arrethtrae #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  47 reviews
A dangerous new order threatens the mission of the Knights of Arrethtrae. Only loyalty to the King can bring victory!

As the Knights of the Prince await His triumphant return, they are steadfast in their mission to take His story into the kingdom and recruit as many as are willing. But when a new and dangerous threat is revealed, their mission is jeopardized.

Sir Kendrick a...more
Published June 17th 2008 by Multnomah Books

To ask other readers questions about Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisWaterfall by Lisa Tawn BergrenThe Merchant's Daughter by Melanie DickersonCascade by Lisa Tawn BergrenTorrent by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Clean teen fiction (Christian)
80th out of 511 books — 490 voters
My First Travel Angelic Airline Adventures by Anna OthitisThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisImpervious by Heather Letto
Christian Fantasy/Allegories
12th out of 189 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

David LeDoux
Being the first book by Chuck Black that I have read, Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione is a first-rate page turner that had me up well into the early hours of the morning. Black creates believable characters in a world that is, despite the lack of modern conveniences, comfortable for the reader; perhaps because it is so much like our own.

I have read many Christian books (both fiction and non-fiction) and none of them have encouraged me to live my life in greater dedication to our King t...more
Leah Good
Haunted by a painful past, Sir Kendrick is a dedicated and serious knight. When he is told that a new knight, the youthful and enthusiastic Sir Duncan is to accompany him on a mission, Kendrick is slightly irritated. Such small frustrations soon fade. A new and dangerous sect of knights is rising. Can Kendrick and Duncan figure out what is happening in Bel Lione? Will the mission cost them their lives?

I highly recommend this book, and the rest of Chuck Black's books. They are fun to read, meanin...more
Austin
Aug 06, 2011 Austin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes a good action fantasy book
Shelves: knights
Chuck Black writes a great tale about 2 knights who are loyal to a prince and want to take out evil in Arrethrae.

My review is 4.2. The great things in the book are 1. plot 2. characters 3. The way it was written.
1. The plot is extrodinary because of the action, friendship and even the little romance shared between Duncan and Elise.
2. All the characters are well developed. Kendrick, Duncan, Ancel, Elise, Lady Oddette, Lord Ra, Mr. Morley, Bronwyn, Landor, Tearra and Casimir.
3. The book was exell...more
Timothy
this book is fabuloso. I couldn't stop reading it. the world is just like the town of Bel Lione. it looks wonderful on the outside but inside ther are many problems. this book is one that i could read over and over again. (if i had it that is) this auther deserves a reward of some sort. if there was a christian nobel prise he would recieve it. i'm surprised he has't recieved a nobile prize yet. this book deserves two thumbs up plus a hand clap, 5 stars, and a best read award.
Abigail Rasmussen
The first book of the Knights of Arrethtrae series, the story of Sir Kendrick is one of healing and forgiveness. It includes a few characters from the Kingdom Series but mostly introduces new characters.

I recommend this book because it is character building, forgiveness is admired, and truth is honored.
Karen
Wayne S.
The Kingdom of Arrethtrae is ruled over by a King and His Son, the Prince, but there is an evil enemy Lucius who is trying to take over. Lucius has many servants, such as his Shadow Warriors, the new order of Vincero Knights, and Lord Ra of Bel Leone Castle who has been enticing young people in the kingdom to join his festivals, after which many choose not to return home. However, the King and the Prince have their servants as well, including the Silent Warriors and the Knights of the Prince. Tw...more
Lilly W.
Option 1 Second Book Started June 3
Sir Kendric And The Castle of Bel Lione
By: Chuck Black

As loyal knights of The Prince Sir Kendric is having to train a student in their school specifically to train young men to some day fight for The Prince. Now this young student that he has to train is Sir Duncan and he is young and doesn't know as much as an older knight of course, but still wants to get out and fight the shadow warriors.
Now the two men are sent on a very dangerous and the most secretiv...more
Becky B
Oct 05, 2012 Becky B rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Middle school Christian fantasy fans
And once again, a modern Christian fantasy series is just so-so.
The Knights of Arrathtrae follows Chuck Black's Kingdom series, but that series is summarized so well at the beginning of this book there is no need to read that series first. Mr Black says that this series was written to teach Christian principles and is not as much of an allegory as the Kingdom series, but the intro to this book is pretty much a paraphrase and adaption of the intro to the book of Acts. There are several parallels...more
Beth His handmaiden
Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione is definitely a book to be treasured!
When I first opened the cover and read the reviews of children 10 and 11 years old, raving about the Knights of Arrethrae I was a little put off. I mean, what I enjoyed reading at 10 years old is almost irrelevant to what I read now at 19. But I have to say this book is a rarity, truly a once in a lifetime kind of book.
I couldn't put it down! My faith was challenged and I became more aware of my own impulsiveness and a...more
Breanna
I loved this book from the very first page to the last. The allegory was strong, the story and the characters were amazing, but what I most loved was how inspiring it was!

The story of Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione is set in the kingdom of Arrethtrae which rightfully belongs to the King, who reigns from His distant land across the sea. The King’s Son came to Arrethtrae and died and rose again out of love for His people so that he could raise up a force of Arrethtraen men and women to...more
Michelle
My review of Sir Kendrick and the Castle at Bel Lione by Chuck Black!
ABOUT THE BOOK

Sir Kendrick and his young charge, the impetuous Sir Dunc...more
Lori Twichell
Sir Kendrick’s tale comes first in the series and he must take under his wing a young and impetuous new knight, Sir Duncan. The two take off on a mission to investigate Lord Ra and his mysterious festivals where young men and women disappear from neighboring villages. When Sir Duncan disappears, Kendrick must try to save him. In order to do this, he tries to enlist the aid of a mysterious warrior that he meets not far from Ra’s castle. With this warrior, he learns the truth of Ra’s rise and what...more
Rachel
This sequel saga to Chuck Black's “The Kingdom Series” begins following Sir Kendrick from the last book and his continued adventures as he seeks to follow and serve the King and His Son. The allegorical series focuses more on character-building traits and virtues each knight (and lady) needs to learn such as loyalty, love, and forgiveness to wage the war against a rebellious and prideful heart. Following the story of Sir Kendrick and his companion, the young knight Duncan gives the allegorical...more
Brittany
I was really dragging my feet to start on this book. After all, it sounded to me like a cute kid's story about knights and dragons and while that may be nice for youngsters, I could use a bit more depth. But,was I ever wrong! While I could recommend this to any young reader that I know, I could also recommend this to any adult that I know. This was a very well written and entertaining book, but it is so much more than that. The symbolism and allegory are not painfully obvious as some books that...more
A.M. Reynwood
Sir Kendrick and the Castle of Bel Lione is a good story. I enjoyed it very much and would recommend it to any young knight. It's an adventure to rescue a friend from the pits of evil as well as a tale of redemption and forgiveness. Mr. Black has done a great job with this narrative and I'm intrigued to read the rest of them.
Michelle Lammers
Jun 28, 2014 Michelle Lammers rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ages 8-18+
I read this book years ago and was fascinated by it. Even now, I find myself enthralled by excellent characters, the medieval setting, and thrilling action.
Natasha Atkerson
Jan 26, 2010 Natasha Atkerson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Recommended to Natasha by: My Mom used to sell his books, so I thought I'd try one!
April
It took awhile for middle-man to get into (that's why he gave it a 4*)...but after the first few chapters he couldn't put it down. He and dad were reading together, but he would "sneak" an extra chapter or two in before bed! :)

So, if you start this one...give it a bit, but sounds like it's worth it...do push on!
Elissa
The books in Mr. Black's "Knights of Arrethtrae" series are some of my absolute favorite books ever written. Each one carries a theme that many people struggle with (apathy, pride, doubt, etc.)Each is a masterfully written story of a Knight of the Prince who goes on a journey who ends up defeating the said vice. The stories are captivating, and make you want to keep reading to the very end. Get ready to enjoy and adventure, and be drawn closer to our Prince (Jesus) in real life! These are books...more
Marion
First book I read of Chuck Black. I enjoyed it and would read more of his
Kevin
A Christian adventure story set in the world first introduced in the Kingdom Series. I actually enjoy the Knight series books more than the Kingdom Series (which I like a lot). In the Knights books, the author is not constrained by the needs of allegory so he can be more imaginative. Yet he still stresses positive values. Fun and simple adventure stories.
Connie
In his call to destroy the evil of the Castle of Bel Lione, Sir Kendrick must emotionally face again the loss of his wife and son and the one who destroyed them. Will he forgive? Rebellion and foolishness reap slavery and destruction; loyalty to the Prince and His ways gives life and freedom. "The King reigns." "And His Son!"
My brother and sisters have long been pestering me to read the books by Chuck Black, and though I haven't caved in on his Kingdoms books, I picked up this one yesterday and ended up finishing it in two hours.
It's very well written, and you can end up losing yourself in the story! My advice- go read it.
Wendi Klaiber
Megan and I read this book each night before bedtime. It was a good action book with a strong message of good vs evil. It brought out many thoughts and conversations regarding such topics as forgiveness, loyalty, honor, and the pursuit of what is good & right in the face of fear.
This book was AMAZING! I love the whole series....and the Kingdom series that is sort of the same thing, but they are slightly different. Narnia lovers and people who seek medieval adventure books are people who would probably like this book. I would recommend it to them.
Sonja
I would rate this book off the charts if I could. I absolutely loved it! I was five pages into it before I was requesting the books in CD form so my husband could take them to work and listen to them. Wonderful imagery, wonderful characters, wonderful message!
Charlotte
What I liked about this book is it had questions (and answers) about each chapter to review what had happened, question character's motives, and your own motives as well. There are more in this series and I'm reading about Sir Bentley now.
Megan
This was very thrilling and adventurous.It had a good battle between good and evil and everything ties together perfectly in the end.it's a good book to read with a parent because some parts are a little bit confusing but overall AMAZING!!!!!
Natasha
A GREAT allegorical tale of the Christian life (though not as abstract as Pilgrim's Progress)! A well-crafted story line combines with an action-packed adventure for a book that is sure to be a family favorite.
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • Dragons of the Valley (Valley of the Dragons, #2)
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Masters & Slayers (Tales of Starlight, #1)
  • Darien's Rise (Adventures In Odyssey: Passages, #1)
  • Elsie's Holidays at Roselands (The Original Elsie Classics #2)
202312
Chuck Black spent eight years in the Air Force traveling the world as a communications engineer and an F-16 fighter pilot. Today, Chuck is a product design engineer and has invented or coinvented eleven patented construction products now being sold internationally. His passion in life is to serve the Lord Jesus Christ and to love his wife, Andrea, and their six children. The Blacks take their fami...more
More about Chuck Black...
Kingdom's Dawn (Kingdom, #1) Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2) Kingdom's Edge (Kingdom, #3) Kingdom's Quest (Kingdom, #5) Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)