Start by marking “More to Life than This” as Want to Read:
More to Life than This

More to Life than This

3.37  ·  Rating Details  ·  512 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Kate Lewis is thirty-five and feeling restless. Her husband Jeffrey is keen on gardening and golf; her children are obsessed with well-balanced diets; and Kate's main worry is when to do the ironing. There must be more to life than this!

Enrolling on a T'ai Chi course at Northwood Priory with her best friend Sonia - and arranging for an au pair to look after Jeffrey and the
Published October 18th 2007 by Headline Review (first published September 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about More to Life than This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More to Life than This

Zippy
Jul 21, 2009 Zippy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trash-can, pop-lit
Truly awful, I gave up. I have really enjoyed some of Carole Matthews books, particularly the chocolate ones, but after reading this one probably won't bother reading any more of her earlier books. The characters were totally blah, for want of a better word (this book does not inspire me to bother trying to find one), the situation pointless, and I found that I just didn't care a jot what happened to any of them, so this has gone in the trash - too bad to even give to the charity shop, I would f ...more
Sherri Hunter
Feb 26, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Couldn't hold my interest
Edith
May 17, 2009 Edith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Astbury
Apr 04, 2015 Amanda Astbury rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Quite disappointed with this book, nowhere near as good as later books like Chocolate Lovers Club. I will say that had I read this book first that I probably would not have bought any other books by Carole Matthews
Jacqueline
I did not like this book as much as the other two I have read by this author. It was still an okay read, but it wasn't as laugh-out-loud funny or light-hearted as the other two books. That being said, it was not completely horrible and did have a nice message of self discovery and embracing change in one's life. I liked that the characters both were dynamic, but the ending worked out a little too perfectly and not the way I had hoped. Overall, I gave it 3 stars because as far as "chicklit" goes ...more
Georgina
I always enjoy reading Carole Matthews books.
Ruth
Feb 10, 2014 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good so far. Funny
Disappointed with the ending-bit of an anti-climax
Nov 07, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Cottage By the Sea and LOVED it and so my friend lent me some more by the same author... Well what a disappointment this was in comparison. Cliched and predictable...not in the same league at all... Now debating whether or not to try a third see which was the one-off, the good one or the bad one!

Actually, having just scrolled down and read the most recent reviews given by other people it seems a lot of readers haven't liked this as much as her other work so maybe I will try another and s
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 Sue rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-2004
I suppose this is 'chick-lit' - not really my kind of book, although it does pose some interesting questions about loyalty, integrity and love. It all seemed rather unbelievable, though. Too neat and tidy, very contrived.

Still, the characters were likeable if caricatured, and it was quite well-written on the whole. It was interesting to learn about Tai Chi (one of the main characters attends a course), but I found the climax of the book rather disappointing.
Aileen
Jun 16, 2011 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate is married to Jeffrey she has 2 children she is bored with her
life.
Sonia her friend and her enrol in a Tai Chi Course in Northwood Priory
for a week, Kate feels guilty abandoning them and arranges for a
gorgeous Australian Au Pair for Jeffrey and the children. However the
gorgeous Ben Chandler is a big distraction for her but does she do
anything about it?
I loved this book it was funny a great read definitely recommend.
Nicole
Jul 02, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a Brit Lit fan this book had an advantage going in, but generally I was really disappointed. Althought the omnicent point of view was novel in this type of story line, it wasn't enought to save it. About half way through it began to pick up, but I was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo let down but the ending. It was one of those lame open ended things that just left me unsatified.
Betsy Overbey
Aug 02, 2010 Betsy Overbey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little ashamed that I even finished this book. The only reason I am writing a review is to tell you not to read it-- not even if you are looking for a trashy beach read. The writing is not good, the story is not good. Nothing about it is good. The writer also kept referring to one of the main characters Mercedes as his "Merc." I wanted to slap her.
Jenny L
Apr 25, 2014 Jenny L rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books
What happened Carole Matthews?? ! This was quite simply ridiculous. So dull, with such an unbelievable ending. Although with such two-dimensional characters throughout, it was not that much of a surprise. Do not waste your time reading this. I have read many Carole Matthews' novels in the past and have enjoyed them, but this was not one of them.
Charity
Jun 13, 2007 Charity rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kate Lewis wants more out of life. After taking a week-long T'ai Chi course, Kate finds more than she bargained for. As does her family, who are left with a wild and stunning Australian au pair for the week. This selection was only so-so. The characters weren't overly likeable and the plot was somewhat forced.
Kourtney
Aug 30, 2008 Kourtney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: red-dress-ink
I borrowed this book and thank goodness I did not waste money on this. I feel as though all of Carole Matthews' books are all the same. Why do they all deal with cheating? I am definitely not going to be reading any more books from her. If you've read one you've read them all and it's quite disappointing.
Katie
As my third book from Carole Matthews, I find that she writes intriguing fluff novels. However, all the books have the underlying notion of adultery and finding oneself within the marriage...but I can't purport to that.
Rachel
Jan 08, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wahh wrong ending - BIG time :(
Tashy Tash
slow, but it made a point. it's no a book i completely agree with in regards to concept but i generally enjoy carole matthews and i did enjoy this book. a disappointment after the chocolate lovers club though.
ʚϊɞ Gemma
I did enjoy parts of this book, however I felt like I was constantly waiting for something big to happen and it never really delivered. The ending was a let down for me and it felt unfinished.
Alexandra
Quite a shallow perspective from the narrative, but nevertheless a good book to buy in the airport, read on holiday, then throw out. Shallow chick lit - don't expect any deep reading!
Celeste Johnson
Same deal.. great writer..good story. BUT they are married and commit adultry. I'm going to have to start screening her books a little bit better!
Nicki
Dec 13, 2011 Nicki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like the characters in this at all, so gave up!! I also didn't like reading about someone who wanted to have an affair.
Nancy
Oct 10, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny! A British author so some phrases may be unfamiliar but that won't detract from the reader's comprehension.
Lisalee27
I was an easy, fluffy kind of book. Perfect for sitting on the deck at the cottage on the long weekend.
Charlotte
Jan 27, 2008 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a decent read that portrayed the feeling of boredom in a life of domesticity.
Monique Crinall
Not one of Carole's best! Characters are not really likeable and it is slow.
Suzanne
Wow I love her books but this was not a good one. Very boring
Sharon
Jun 30, 2012 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
I have liked other Carloe Matthews books better than this one.
Pauline
Mar 14, 2009 Pauline rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book but definatly not my cup of tea.
Alaina Glass
Feb 04, 2008 Alaina Glass rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very cute book to learn to let go!
  • Tallulahland
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • Couch World
  • Technical Hitch
  • Bundle of Joy?
  • Never Say Never (Lakeview #3)
  • Scenes From A Holiday
  • Losing It
  • Strapless
  • Loves Me, Loves Me Not
120535
Carole Matthews is an international bestselling author of hugely successful romantic comedy novels. Her unique sense of humour has won her legions of fans and critical acclaim all over the world.

A Minor Indiscretion and A Compromising Position both reached the Top 5 in the Sunday Times bestseller chart in the UK. You Drive Me Crazy reached number 8 in the original fiction charts. The novel Welcom
More about Carole Matthews...