Start by marking “Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1)

4.5  ·  Rating Details ·  61,580 Ratings  ·  9,773 Reviews
In a kingdom by the sea…

In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.

A parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.

Emma Carstairs is a warrior, a Shadowhunter, and the best in her generation. She lives for battle. Shoulder
Published March 8th 2016 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Lady Midnight, please sign up.

Ameehar Ibda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Willa Valentine I don't know! It could be similar to the one posted now, it could be the one posted now, or it could be something with a faerie? I feel like it might…moreI don't know! It could be similar to the one posted now, it could be the one posted now, or it could be something with a faerie? I feel like it might feature a Downworlder for some reason.(less)
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareGlass Sword by Victoria AveyardHeartless by Marissa Meyer
YA Novels of 2016
3rd out of 1,128 books — 8,514 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
3rd out of 1,350 books — 6,742 voters

More lists with this book...

Lily Poo
Mar 20, 2016 Lily Poo rated it it was amazing
THIS FIRST PART WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN IN 2012.
Jesus the book isn't even out yet and you guys are trashing it already. Seriously, wait at least until it comes out, read it and THEN give your opinion. Right now it's just useless and pissing all of us fans off. She's not milking this. If she really just wanted more money, she wouldn't work so hard on all of this beautiful material she's creating for US. FOR US. She doesn't have to do this, she could be working as a doctor or a lawyer and making mo
Zoë
Mar 25, 2016 Zoë rated it it was amazing
My favorite Cassandra Clare book so far, including Clockwork Princess. I KNOW.
It wasn't just a war between the good guys vs. the evil villain, but was an action-packed mystery filled with family, friends, magic, murder, and forbidden love. WOWZA!
I loved how different every character felt. Especially how Ty, Mark, and Arthur had complex and different ways of thinking and dealing with issues. I'm so happy that Cassandra Clare wrote about mental illnesses in the Shadowhunter community and why we ha
Shobana
Dec 04, 2013 Shobana marked it as to-read
Good God, I don't understand why people are complaining so much about the fact that Cassandra Clare is writing a new series. That's what authors do: write. And so what if she bases a new series in the same world as a past one? Honestly, I liked The Infernal Devices better than TMI. TDA is going to be in a new setting. The MC won't be Clary, who I have never liked that much anyway. Give Cassandra Clare a chance. I don't feel like she's "killing" the Shadowhunter world or something. She's only ...more
Sasha Alsberg
Mar 08, 2016 Sasha Alsberg rated it it was amazing
LADY MIDNIGHT tore me apart then pieced me back together....then tore me apart again.
LOVED this book!
A very detailed review will be up on my channel later this week! :)
Regan
Mar 17, 2016 Regan rated it it was amazing
By far the most rich story Cassie has put out to date.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Apr 02, 2016 Jesse (JesseTheReader) rated it it was amazing
OH MAN. STILL PROCESSING EVERYTHING. BUT OH MAN THIS WAS GREAT. FULL VIDEO REVIEW TO COME!
Emma Giordano
Mar 04, 2016 Emma Giordano rated it it was amazing
OH MY GOODNESS. I don't think I'll ever be able to say it's better than The Mortal Instruments . . . but WOWWWW WAS THIS BOOK ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!

This book was absolutely phenomenal. I think it is some of Cassandra Clare's best work to date. To the people who say all of Cassie's books are the same, I hope Lady Midnight finally shuts you up. No more stories about "orphaned girls who aren't aware of their supernatural powers." (P.S. Clary was never an orphan so I don't know why I keep seeing that a
Clau R.
Jul 21, 2016 Clau R. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cover-love, 2016, my-sons
It took me three weeks to finish this book. THREE!

But that doesn't mean I didn't like it (on the contrary), it was just because this was a really eventful month and it messed up my reading schedule badly, for two weeks I read only one chapter per day, so now you see why it took me so long to finish it. BUT I FINALLY DID. AND NOW I WANT/NEED MORE.

I mean... my interest wasn't really picked until page 350 or so... but after that page everything was full of gasps and squeals and cries of rage and/o
Shreya
Aug 28, 2016 Shreya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: need-it
**UPDATE** 6/23/13: WAIT.I'M PROBABLY REALLY LATE ON THIS BUT, DAT IS NOT THE COVER FOR THE BOOK....IS IT?!...IT BETTER NOT BE. IS IT?!?!?!?! Cause it doesn't look very put together O_O IT'S NOT. HAHA. I'M KIDDING MYSELF...haha...*nerve-wracked*

UPDATE (2013): HONESTLY PEOPLE. STOP. IT. STOP HATING BEFORE THE BOOK IS EVEN OUT. REALLY. JUST STOP. It's one thing to hate AFTER the release and after you've given it a try, and it's another to hate it before =_= And SO FRIGGIN' WHAT? SHE LIKES WRITING
alexandra
FULL REVIEW + DISCUSSION ON twirlingpages.com!

2/2/2016 : well, i feel like my soul shattered into a billion pieces and blew into the ocean. how will i ever recover from this novel???? or this ending?????? i won't. good bye world. i drowned in my own tears and my entire being fell into shambles thanks to this FANTASTIC novel. i need the next one NOW, even though this one hasn't even released yet... oops.

*clears throat* okay, saying LADY MIDNGHT is an emotional rollercoaster ride is an understatem
Vi Vi
Mar 14, 2012 Vi Vi added it
Shelves: lol
Alternative Titles:

The Shadow Hunter Saga: Separation Anxiety. Makes $$$

Mortal Instruments: I Swear I Have Other Ideas I Swear (but no really I don't lol $$$$)

Cassandra Clare: Is Gonna Milk This $$$$$ Cow til Blood Comes Out and then throw in White Dye and Sell Each Bag at an Exorbitant Price

Mortal Instruments Fans: Will Read the Same Characters and Conflicts Again and Again and Again and Again and Again and $$$$$$

The Jace Wayland/Herondale/Morgenstern/Malfoy/Jeeves: How Many Times Can Hair Dye
Katerina
Jun 22, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
“Entreat me not to leave thee,
Or return from following after thee-
For whither thou goest, I will go”

The parabatai oath always makes me weep.
By the Angel, my hands are shaking as I'm trying to compose a decent review. I feel broken beyond repair, Cassandra Clare's words ravaged my sanity, shattered my soul and now I'm on my knees searching for tiny fragments, trying to put together what's left of me.

“I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that
Maureen
Mar 19, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing
I. CANNOT. DEAL.
This book was incredible and this series may topple TID as my favorite in the Shadowhunter world if it continues this way. Definitely the strongest first book in any of the series for sure.
There were so many things that were RIGHT about this book, but especially the characters. They were fantastic and wonderful and their journey was HEARTBREAKING but still amazing and I just can't deal guys I can't.
This book broke me into a million pieces so I honesty don't know how I'm going to
Carmen
Mar 19, 2012 Carmen marked it as to-read
WHY THE HELL IS everyone complaining that they think Cassie's writing more books to make cash?! True, I have my own complaints about never ending series, but when you have someone as talented as Cassie, IT KIND OF MAKES SENSE FOR HER TO WRITE MORE. Especially when many fans are ASKING FOR MORE. (ex. When everybody asked for more books in TMI series.) Honestly, I'm sure Cassie has other writing projects that she does that don't involve Shadowhunters, but I'm getting sick of biased people of ...more
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
“The stars wheeled crazily overhead as she spun, sucking in her breath as her body slowed its rolling. She came to a stop on her back, her hair and clothes full of sand and her ears full of the sound of the wildly crashing ocean…”
To the people who say that Cassandra Clare is dragging this on, milking the cow, etc: PLEASE STOP. There's people all over the world who are grateful for these books and series. Don't ruin it for everyone else. You don't have to like Cassie. You don't have to read h
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 09, 2016 Raeleen Lemay marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, tbr-ya
I was so iffy on this book when I first heard about it, but all of my friends' reviews have changed my mind....

So yeah. Picking this up tomorrow.
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・ |spoilers af|
description

"Lex malla, lex nulla. A bad law is no law."

This could be one of the hardest reviews I’ve ever written and that’s just because my feelings and thoughts are all over the place and I know, no matter how many days pass, I won’t be able to have a clear response so bear with me. This is going to be a mess.

description

As usual, there were things I liked and things I didn’t. In this particular case, I don’t know if everything I loved can outweigh what I disliked. This is the first time I had to call two of my fr
Haleema
Sep 02, 2016 Haleema marked it as to-read
Lady Midnight

Really?

Another Shadowhunter book?

Seriously?

This can't be happening again. I mean does, she really think she can present a fresh plot with this new series? Aww.

description

But who knows. Maybe Clare will surprise me. Just maybe.
Beth
Mar 08, 2016 Beth rated it it was amazing

I think it's time to delete my review of this.
This has by far been my most popular review, but now that it is released I think it's best to just enjoy the book.
Happy release day!!
Josu
Jun 17, 2016 Josu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
POR FIN.

omg

Esta es la novela que más esperaba de este 2016. Han sido dos años de dura espera, de estar pendiente de cada noticia, de decidir no leer adelantos para disfrutar aún más de su lectura… Dos años en los que se han creado unas expectativas que Cassandra Clare ha sabido suplir.

Creo que Lady Midnight simboliza el cambio del mundo literario de Cassandra Clare. Nos tenía acostumbrados a novelas llenas de acción, de giros en la tramas increíbles y sobre todo, de misterios que nos quitaban horas
Celine
Jun 19, 2012 Celine marked it as to-read
My reaction to Cassandra Clare's new series...

description

Oh yes, I was a pretty happy girl.

Mar 08, 2016 Laura marked it as to-read
Let me guess: this "Julian" fellow is going to be snarky and sarcastic just like every other love interest CC has written about.

I mean, really, where do they get it from?

Sure, I LOVE when the main guy in a story is sarcastic and witty, but seriously...try something new.

And just by experience, I can already predict things that are going to happen:

1) There is going to be another love triangle in which I can predict the ending FROM the first sentence.

2) CC is going to over-use certain adjectiv
Lara
Jun 14, 2016 Lara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Well I don't need my heart anyway Cassie you can have it.

This book is phenomenal. Much more better than The Mortal Instruments and as emotional as The Infernal Devices. One of the best book Cassie has written so far. I love the shadow world and I don't think that I'll ever get tired of reading about it! I need the next 2 books so bad, my feels are all around the country.

The characters we
Lucía
Apr 02, 2016 Lucía rated it liked it
UPDATE #2: Ahora que he tenido un poco más de tiempo para reflexionar, he decidido bajarle la calificación a 3 estrellas. La indiferencia que siento hacia este libro es mucha como para darle algo más que 3.

***

UPDATE: He decidido darle 3.5 estrellas. Tuve varios problemas con el libro, pero a fin de cuentas el libro sí me gustó.

***

Necesito consultar mi calificación con la almohada.
Simona Bartolotta
EDIT 11/04/2016: I had rounded up my rating to four stars, but now I don't remember why on earth I did it. The book pretty much left me nothing. Which is sad, I know. So I'm lowering the rating to three stars.

"It hurt me being away from you. It feels like there’s a hook dug under my ribs, and there’s something pulling at the other end. Like I’m tethered to you, no matter the distance."

Beware the Jane Eyre references, people.

Let it be clear: I am a sucker for best-friends-falling-in-love stories.
Anastasia
Aug 26, 2016 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 stars

Lady Midnight is the first installment of The Dark Artifices a spin off trilogy of The Mortal Instruments written by Cassandra Clare.

It’s been five years since the events of City of Heavenly Fire that brought the Shadowhunters to the brink of oblivion. Emma Carstairs is no longer a child in mourning, but a young woman bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses.

Together with her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as
April (Aprilius Maximus)
*4.5 STARS* I read the majority of this in a day because I was SO hooked. So what made me dock half a star you may ask? The last couple of chapters contain one of my most HATED tropes ever and it frustrated me to no end.

Around The Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
52. A book that was published in 2016
grace
Mar 12, 2016 grace rated it it was amazing
I AM UNABLE TO WRITE ANYTHING COHERENT, BUT I LOVED IT. BYE
Cait (Paper Fury)
The first thing you should know is that I am a permanent rabid Shadowhunter fangirl. EMPHASIS ON THE "RABID" BECAUSE BASICALLY THIS WORLD IS MY LOVE AND I SHALL ADORE EVERYTHING IN IT. Ergo I was doomed to love Lady Midnight. It sooooooo didn't disappoint.

So basically I'm about to fangirl ridiculously. #NOTEVENSORRY But at least I'll do it in list format so it can be deranged but sensibly organised.

L O V E S:

How incredibly awesome EVERYTHING IS.
*shrieks derrangedly* Okay okay I know that exp
Joel (Throne of books)
Mar 31, 2016 Joel (Throne of books) rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*
"You are a phantom and a shadow. You are the cruelty of hope."
..... I have no words.
Okay, now I do.
1) HOW EFFING DARE YOU CASSANDRA. THIS IS NO GAME. MY EMOTIONS ARE NOT STRINGS FOR YOU TO PULL AT.
2) A year. A damn year until Lord of Shadows. Will Joel survive the wait? The answer is no. I will most likely never recover from aimlessly staring out my window.
3) You said TDA will end even more tragically than TID and after that revelation at the end of Lady Midnight I can see why
Lady Midnight: where is the proposal? 1 1 1 hour, 31 min ago
YA Buddy Readers'...: Lady Midnight By Cassandra Clare - Restarting November 23rd 2016 164 227 Dec 02, 2016 12:46PM
jace's proposal to clary 1 4 Nov 26, 2016 02:30PM
Which characters did you find best? 2 10 Nov 21, 2016 04:10PM
Addicted to YA: Lady Midnight 42 342 Nov 13, 2016 07:43PM
Why would Clary not want to marry Jace?? At the end of Lady Midnight? 20 721 Nov 06, 2016 09:21PM
Goodreads Choice Awards 2016 1 4 Nov 02, 2016 05:06PM
  • The Silver Mask (Magisterium,  #4)
  • Oblivion (Nevermore, #3)
  • Requiem (Books of Faerie, #3)
  • The Seeker (The Host, #2)
  • Untitled Standalone
  • The Iron Warrior (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten, #3)
  • End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3)
  • Silver Shadows (Bloodlines, #5)
  • The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3)
  • Let the Storm Break (Sky Fall, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
  • The Unbound (The Archived, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • Untitled
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Dark Artifices (3 books)
  • Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)
  • The Queen of Air and Darkness (The Dark Artifices, #3)

“When you love someone, they become a part of who you are. They're in everything you do. They're in the air you breathe and the water you drink and the blood in your veins. Their touch stays on your skin and their voice stays in your ears and their thoughts stay in your mind. You know their dreams because their nightmares pierce your heart and their good dreams are your dreams too. And you don't think they're perfect, but you know their flaws, the deep-down truth of them, and the shadows of all their secrets, and they don't frighten you away; in fact you love them more for it, because you don't want perfect. You want them. You want—"

He broke off then, as if realizing everyone was looking at him again.

"You want what?" said Dru with enormous eyes.

"Nothing," Julian said. "I'm just talking.”
529 likes
“There was beauty in the idea of freedom, but it was an illusion. Every human heart was chained by love.” 427 likes