Start by marking “Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace” as Want to Read:
Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This book explodes the notion that the doctrine of the Trinity may be indispensable for the creed but remote from life and worship. Firmly rooted in Scripture and theology, alive with pastoral counsel and anecdote, Torrances work shows us just why real trinitarian theology is the very fiber of Christian confession.
Published July 2nd 1997 by IVP Academic

To ask other readers questions about Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Worship, Community and the Triune God of Grace

Andrew
I highly recommend that every Protestant evangelical pastor and worship leader read and carefully digest the contents of this book.

For the layperson, if you think the Trinity is a speculative theological exercise for academic philosophers with no connection to your everyday Christian experience, think AGAIN.

Who God is, who we believe him to be, has a direct impact on how rightly or wrongly we worship him. Torrance distinguishes between two kinds of worship.

First, there is the "unitarian" brand
Adam Ross
What a wonderful book. Torrance builds a theology of worship on the basis of the Trinity. His position is at once refreshingly original and appropriately ancient. His love of the Reformed faith shines through on every page, and in the frequent citations of Calvin's Institutes, the most often quoted work in the book.

He stumbles in the last chapter, in which he deals with issues of gender and speaking of God in the masculine and feminine. He clearly is in support or woman's ordination and makes a
Chris
An excellent little book on theology. James Torrance offers a critique of church life and worship, suggesting that we return our focus, in very practical ways, to the Triune character of God. This may sound dry, but it is emphatically not. He makes a compelling argument for why the doctrine of the Trinity actually matters to daily personal and communal faith, and for the significance of worshiping IN Jesus, rather than just worshiping Jesus. After reading this book I think I will especially have ...more
Pris
This is the third time I've read this book. When I read it a second time, I thought I've learned all I can from it, but reading it a third time showed me that I have gleaned yet something more. Each time I've had to read it with my Bible and reflect on both what Torrance has written and the biblical passages quoted throughout. The depths of God's Word cannot be fathomed completely because He reveals to us continuously more and more as we mature spiritually, each revelation meatier than the first ...more
Dwight Davis
This is a great little introduction to theology from a Trinitarian standpoint. The first chapter is fantastic on different models of worship and the supremacy of a Trinitarian model over against an existential model. The last chapter on Gender, Sexuality, and the Trinity is genuinely the best text on feminism I've ever read, and probably the first thing to articulate feminism in such a way that I totally agreed with. The middle two chapters are decent, but not great. I was particularly let down ...more
Luke
Great mediation on how our worship is to be fueled by the Trinity, not just directed toward. Torrance's thesis is that we say that we worship the Trinity, but then don't realize how the Trinity is intimately involved in our ability to worship. A lot of great insights into the sacraments as well. Last chapter is on the use of gender language for God. Admittedly I haven't encounter this in my own circles yet, but Torrance provides a very helpful discussion of the subject. The problem is that we th ...more
Robert Terrell
I had never read anything by James Torrance before. What a pleasant surprise and challenging book.
Stephen Morrison
Beautiful work on the triune nature of God, and our role in a Trinitarian worship! Fantastic book. Quick read, but packed full of great ideas.
Bill Twyman
Perhaps the major work from the Torrance family. The book calls us out from a largely Unitarian practice to a genuine life with our God who himself is community. The recovery of Trinitarian Worship is the stock that genuine reformation is made of. Be challenged and be blessed as you see the Lord more acurately than before and lose your guilt and shame to live in peace by faith in the righteousness of Christ.
Michael Philliber
I read this work in 2000, and picked it up for a second read in 2014. It is a mixed bag of good and troubling things. The emphasis on trinitarian perichoresis is exciting and instructive, especially the way JBT applies it to worship. The subtle universalism, regurgitating John McLeod Campbell and Irving is problematic. The book is worth reading, but must be read with discernment.
Jeff
Yah I read this book for Seminary too, but it is one of the books at Seminary where I was like YAH! Gimme more. This challenges what we practice today in churches as "Worship" and helps us to understand what worship was meant for and who it was meant for and what the purpose of worship is! I highly recommend this for pastors & Worship leaders to read together to grow!
Israel Soler
Great book reminding us of the centrality of Christ and His life in salvation, life, worship, community and everything. Torrance does a great job of comparing trinitarian views with the commonly accepted doctrines of our day. It's very readable but definitely on the academic side. Excellent introduction to trinitarian theology/doctrines.
G Walker
Delightful little book, partly doxological in nature, largely corrective, yet always delightful, Jim Torrance redirects our focus (within the context of corporate worship) back to its Trinitarian foundation. Good book overall. Worthy of reading, studying and sharing with others.
Jared Mcnabb
Had a few quibbles throughout, mainly in the last chapter. But I loved Torrance's focus on the Trinity, ongoing ministry of Christ, and the doctrine of union with Christ, and how they should affect worship. Generally good stuff
Michael
A bunch of jumbled stuff. Not a coherent argument or vision. His Christology is so central that he does injustice to the Trinity, especially the operation of the Spirit in Worship.
Katharine
A shining look into the trinitarian values instilled into a healthy view of the Christian faith, specifically the sacrament of Baptism and the Eucharist.
Marty Folsom
One of my favorite theology books to discover the nature of grace and covenant
Joey Rosado
Best book I read on the importance of community and worship.
Gregory Soderberg
Splendid, except for the undertones of liberalism.
Nathan Chambers
The second read is even better than the first.
Gavin Brown
A Reformed take on Trinitarian worship.
Nick
Excellent! Longer review to follow.
Alex Stroshine
Alex Stroshine marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jessy
Jessy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Robert D. Cornwall
Robert D. Cornwall marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Conor Searl
Conor Searl marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
  • Pilgrim Theology: Core Doctrines for Christian Disciples
  • The Lord's Service: The Grace of Covenant Renewal Worship
  • Theology for the Community of God
  • Union with Christ: Reframing Theology and Ministry for the Church
  • The Doctrine of the Christian Life (A Theology of Lordship)
  • The Christ of the Covenants
  • For All the Saints: Remembering the Christians Departed
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • The Nature of the Atonement: Four Views
  • The Mosaic of Christian Belief: Twenty Centuries of Unity & Diversity
Worship, Community And The Triune God Of Grace John Duns Scotus: Nutshell No. 1 A Passion For Christ: The Vision That Ignites Ministry Two Horizons