Start by marking “The Runaway Pumpkin” as Want to Read:
The Runaway Pumpkin

The Runaway Pumpkin

Kevin Lewis, author of the bestselling Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo, pairs up with award-winning illustrator S. D. Schindler to create the perfect picture book about a pumpkin on the run.

Published September 1st 2003 by Orchard

To ask other readers questions about The Runaway Pumpkin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runaway Pumpkin

Pumpkin Soup by Helen CooperPumpkin Jack by Will HubbellThe Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsPumpkin, Pumpkin by Jeanne TitheringtonHow Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? by Margaret McNamara
Picture Books About Pumpkins
66th out of 104 books — 15 voters
The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzRoom on the Broom by Julia Donaldson
Best Halloween Picture Books
223rd out of 354 books — 401 voters

More lists with this book...

Tory Haberman
Nov 15, 2014 Tory Haberman rated it really liked it
The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis is about three kids, Buck, Billy, and Lil who find a humongous pumpkin on the top of a hill. Buck and Bill want to show everyone this great big pumpkin and try to roll it down the hill. However, it is so big that they lose control of the pumpkin and it goes rolling and bumping and thumping down the hillside! As it rolls through Momma Baxter’s sty, knocking over Grandpa Baxter, and hurdling towards Poppa Baxter on his tractor, all they could think of is pumpkin ...more
Alyssa Frank
Nov 13, 2014 Alyssa Frank rated it it was amazing
The Runaway Pumpkin is about the Baxter children, Buck, Billy and Lil, who stumble upon the biggest pumpkin they had ever seen. The boys pluck the stem and begin to roll the ginormous pumpkin until they lose control and it topples down the hill, through Mommas sty while she is thinking of Granny's pumpkin pie, through Granpa's coop while he is thinking of Granny's pumpkin soup, and towards Poppa, where he cleverly devised a plan. How will Poppa stop the large pumpkin and save the day.

This rhymin
Jan
Sep 27, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
One Halloween morning, the three Baxter kids climbed the hill near their town.

"And there, upon that hillside,
growing orange, fat and fine,
the budding Baxters found a pumpkin
on a twisty, twirly vine."

While their sister watched, the Baxter boys snapped off that monster pumpkin from the vine at the top of the hill. But they didn't expect what happened next. Oh, no! It's a runaway pumpkin!

S. D. Schindler's illustrations are hilarious as the pumpkin bounces and bumps its way through the pigsty an
Lauren Marotta
The runaway pumpkin is a story of Buck, Billy and Lil Baxter who find a pumpkin that’s the largest in the patch. It rolls all through town and runs over millions of things. Each time someone in the family thinks of something grandma will make like pumpkin soup, or pumpkin bread as the pumpkin comes rolling through town. The end of the story concludes with the pumpkin finally stopping somewhere, and you wonder where it will stop!

The way Runaway Pumpkin fits in with this genre is definitely its rh
Britt Kitko
Summary: When Buck, Billy, and their little sister Lil spy the biggest pumpkin they've ever seen, they can't resist. Buck and Billy try to roll the pumpkin down the hill to show everyone, but it's too big! Before they know it, it's bumping and thumping and rolling out of control down the hillside. It busts through Momma Baxter's sty and makes her think of pumpkin pie. It knocks over Grandpa Baxter and makes him think of pumpkin soup. And when Poppa Baxter finally stops it in a pumpkin bed, all h ...more
Sophie Riggsby
*Review published on Mundie Kids on 10/26/2011*

This is a book that I bought at a Scholastic Book Fair many years ago and it serves as a reminder to me to remember the wonderful fairs that are upcoming at our local schools. I know that Mundie Moms and Mundie Kids check those out faithfully and if you're like me you spend way too much money there. But consider the quality of books you purchase like this one.

A pumpkin that runs away from two little boys and t
Laura J
Sep 17, 2015 Laura J rated it it was amazing
This book I have to say is one of our very favorites! It has the best rhythm and wording that makes us want to read it all year around! I find myself many times reading parts of it as we go through our day! Its about a huge pumpkin that two brothers cut from the stem...and it rolls out of control down a big hill! Our favorite is when it says the thumpety, bumpety, thumpin' bumpin' round and roll-y RUNAWAY PUMPKIN!!! A MUST read!
Alex Austin
Lewis, Kevin. "The Runaway Pumpkin". Illus. S. D. Schindler. New York: Orchard Books, 2003. Print. This book was about some kids who climbed a hill and found a giant pumpkin which they cut loose and the pumpkin went rolling down and plowing down and destroying everything that was in its path. The towns people finally got the pumpkin to stop and then they made it into a giant jack o lantern. This book used a lot of words on each page. It started to lose my interest in the story because of so many ...more
Vivian
Apr 14, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
What might happen when an over-large pumpkin rolls down the hill (with a little nudge from three costumed siblings)?

Great for performing -- be sure to roll arms while repeating the refrain "round and 'round across the ground makin' a thumpin' bumpin' sound came that thumpety bumpety thumpin' bumpin' round and roll-y runaway pumpkin".
Rosa Cline
Nov 03, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween
What a cute rhyming storybook! Text and illustrations both grab you and hold your attention until the end. My 2 year old granddaughter enjoyed the book as I read it to her and from time to time giggled at the antics going on. And in the end Granny saves the day!
Tim Vandenberg
Nov 26, 2014 Tim Vandenberg rated it liked it
A fun read-together Halloween/Pumpkin rhyming book. Once that pumpkin's cut loose, it's all "Down Hill" from there! :)

(Note: S.D. Schindler is the same artist who illustrated Ursula Le Guin's Catwings series.)

Recommended for early readers (Grades K-2)
Monique Williams
This is a rhyming book that can be used for teaching rhyme and seasons, harvest and science. The activities could be things that are done in the fall. They mention making pumpkin pie and a cooking activity for science would be lots of fun after reading this silly book. It does mention Halloween but you could easily remove that word and just use it as a fall book.
Mariamawit Habtamu
Oct 16, 2012 Mariamawit Habtamu rated it really liked it
Preschool and older
This is an awesome book to read especially during fall when children are able to see pumpkins around. It’s about Buck, Billy and their baby sister, Lil who spotted a big pumpkin. When Baxter’s family saw the big pumpkin they thought of Granny’s delicious meal, and at the end they all got to enjoy soup, bread and pie.

Learning Experience
After reading this book, I will have different types of pumpkins for children to see. We will look at things that are round, flat, huge, medium
Paula
The Baxter brothers find a wonderful pumpkin for Halloween, but first they must catch up with it when it rolls down the hill.
Cemeread
Kindergarten and up will work best unless you have less and shorter books. A good combination of fall and Halloween.
Jul 01, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing
Everything about this fun Halloween book is perfect! We look forward to Halloween because of this runaway pumpkin!
Melissa
Sep 24, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
A fun rhyme to read and good for little ears to hear. The word combinations are great.
Emelda
Nov 13, 2014 Emelda rated it liked it
Kids loved the repetition and rhyming. It was OK.
Stephanie Skolmoski
Oct 29, 2013 Stephanie Skolmoski rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween-books
When little Lil watched her “bumbling, big-head brothers” cut the gigantic pumpkin from its vine, disaster is sure to follow. It rolls down the hill through the pig pen, the chicken coop past the cows leaving a mess behind. But all the Baxters can think about are the many things Granny can cook up with that huge pumpkin. Poppa Baxter’s great idea to stop the pumpkin was perfect and so was the Halloween party, once Granny finished cooking!

This is a cute story and great illustrations. Children wil
Heather
Feb 22, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A fun rhyming book for young children.
Emilee Fox
Oct 09, 2015 Emilee Fox rated it really liked it
Fun rhyming pumpkin book
Peacegal
Mar 11, 2014 Peacegal rated it liked it
A giant pumpkin wrecks havoc.
Dec 27, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
A favorite for R.
Kayla
Jun 29, 2016 Kayla rated it it was ok
this is phonetically so fun to read out loud.
The Brothers
Mar 01, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three children come across a truly enormous pumpkin on Halloween evening. The boys set the pumpkin loose and down the hill to their farm it rolls, unabated. Everyone who comes in contact with the great, rolling pumpkin thinks of a different pumpkin treat that Granny can make with it. Luckily, Poppa figures out a way to stop the runaway pumpkin and all those treats become a reality.

Fun illustrations.
Samangie
Oct 10, 2013 Samangie rated it really liked it
Great fall book for kids. My one year old Nd two year old want me to read this to them at least twice a day. We got it from the library initially but they loved it so much I went ahead and bought a copy for our own home-library. I gave it four starts because it has a rhyming scheme to it that works lovely, but in some instances just doesn't make sense. At those points we inserted our own words to make the rhyming work. Overall, a fun fall read for all ages!
Khinna
Mar 13, 2008 Khinna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Preschool to Grade 2
Shelves: children
My sister-in-law (age 10) left this in my car. Of course, I picked it up and read it. It's a funny Halloween story of three Baxter children who find a huge pumpkin and the boy Baxters promptly try to remove the pumpkin from its perch. It rolls down the hill, and members from his family has designs on things they would like to do or make with a pumpkin (pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup).

Chris
Jan 11, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Love how all ages of kids get hooked on this one. A very large pumpkin rolls down the hill because the kids uprooted and the father finally plows a whole for it to get caught in. Everyone squeezes it into Grandmas house and she makes everything pumpkin for the whole family while still leaving the shell of the jack-o-lantern to enjoy!
Christina
Dec 17, 2012 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Very fun story to read around Halloween. It discusses a huge pumpkin that is rolling away. The pumpkin crashes through different buildings on the farm, and heads towards the farmers home! Can be used for talking about order of events, or retelling of stories. I used this with my first graders around halloween, and they loved it.
Julianne
Dec 16, 2008 Julianne rated it liked it
This is a cute children's picture book that is perfect for Halloween read-alouds! The pumpkin at the top of the hill is too big, and is rolling toward disaster! Can anyone stop it? And can Granny Baxter cook up some yummy pumpkin treats? And don't you just love everyone's Halloween costume? Great family fun!

• Big Pumpkin