Start by marking “Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle” as Want to Read:
Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle

Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle

Styled as a royal biography, this clever and witty debut follows a fictitious princess whose svengali is a mechanic who takes his advice from Bruce Springsteen.
Published March 23rd 2006 by 5 Spot

To ask other readers questions about Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe King of Attolia by Megan Whalen TurnerThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleDealing with Dragons by Patricia C. WredeThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Fantasy Royals
194th out of 297 books — 209 voters
September Ends by Hunter S. JonesCircle of Five by Jan RaymondClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareThe Iron King by Julie KagawaHex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
Make These Books into Movies, I Say!
352nd out of 437 books — 367 voters

More lists with this book...

Birgit
Feb 11, 2011 Birgit rated it did not like it
Once again a pick from my chick lit TBR book stack, I this time found myself in a fairytale-like story, filled with intrigue and scandal, told by a wannabe royal biographer, with a penchant for Bruce Springsteen songs. Doesn't sound so bad now, does it?
The things that make you buy, and want to read, a book can often be deceiving as it was for me in this particular case. Apart from the narrative style that needed some getting used to, the story about the young royal couple was disturbingly fast-p
Joanne
Mar 28, 2011 Joanne rated it really liked it
Just a fun silly book that is pure entertainment.

Taking place in fictional Bisbania, Princess Isabelle and Prince Raphael live a royal life in the castle. Her royal mechanic Geoff is a friend she met who took care of her car while at Yale. Things change when Geoff and Raphael take a plane ride and only one body is found!

Up to that point in the book, most of the story details Izzy’s fashion, life and mishaps while handling public duties. Society writer Ethelbald chronicles her clothing and move
Georgette
"Princess Izzy and the E Street Shuffle" is one of those random books that find its way into my hands at the bookstore, and I immediately know I must have it... even if I've never heard of it before. [return][return]Isabella Cordage is the daughter of a small-titled family in a small country called Bisbania, and therefore one of the few suitable playmate for Raphael, Prince of Gallager and heir to the throne. Over the years, they became close friends.[return][return]Since Raphael isn't likely ab ...more
Kathi
May 11, 2016 Kathi rated it it was ok
Like other reviewers said, this concept had great potential. But the story line skipped around too much, the narrator broke into the story to editorialize too often and some key points were mentioned and then never expanded upon. It was like a train wreck that I couldn't take my eyes off. I kept coming back, hoping the story would get on track, but it didn't.
Rebecca Dauber
Mar 28, 2016 Rebecca Dauber rated it really liked it
I was a bit skeptical after reading some of the recent reviews of this book, but was happily surprised to find it a fun and entertaining read. There actually weren't quite as many Springsteen references as I had hoped. I enjoyed the book and it kept me hanging until the very end. Lots of twists and turns!
Kimberly
Oct 27, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was ok
Okay -- so I found it on the sale shelf at Barnes and Noble. It has Bruce Springsteen involved...I've always enjoyed lit that includes music.

The book could have been so much better -- but its hampered by a winding narrative by someone you know is an insider. When you find out who it is, you're cool with it. But then the twists and turns just get more elaborate and more intent on "surprising" you. The deeper you get into the book, you wonder: Why am I sticking with this?

Then the characters go fro
Laura Martinelli
Feb 09, 2011 Laura Martinelli rated it it was ok
Upon rereading this book, I have a much different reaction to it. Maybe it’s because I don’t read tell-all biographies, so I’m already not a fan of the style, but the narration came off as being catty when I think the author was going for witty. My main problem is with some of the plot “twists”—if only because there’s a twist at the end of the last twenty chapters. At that point, it stops being surprising and more plodding. (And some of the twists you could probably guess from the beginning of t ...more
Michelle Carl
Mar 30, 2013 Michelle Carl rated it did not like it
I thought I would love this book. It's about a princess and references Bruce Springsteen. Sounds right up my alley. But no. The narrative style was hard for me to handle. It's told as a sort of tell-all biography about a princess in a fake European country in the relatively near future. But it's not told linearly or really in any sort of understandable order, which made it incredibly hard to follow at times. It's filled with plot twists, some are completely predictable, and some are just over th ...more
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
2.5 stars--Cute narrative chick lit about a princess and her life. Strange at times but some good twists.
Hilary
Jul 17, 2011 Hilary rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, to, oxfam, it, goes
There's a promising idea here the European princess who finds guidance through the lyrics of Bruce Springsteen (as which of us has not, from time to time), but it's poorly executed in fact, the title and blurb have very little relationship with the story. It's also written in a strangely flat, mannered way, which may be deliberate, but makes it hard going. Add in a preposterous story, and generally unsympathetic characters, and it was all rather a waste of time, really.
Jan 14, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Dull. Took an awful long time to get even moderately interesting. Picked it up off the stacks at the library but shouldn't have wasted my time.
Leslie
May 13, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: fun
This is a biography of fictional people set in the far future; or at least you are supposed to believe. The biography of an imaginary princess of an imaginary land who you are told is sweet and wonderful and likable. But you never really get the feel of her; it would be like trying to explain Princess Diana to someone who was born in 1997.

I wouldn't recommend it to an adult.
Jenn Jurisprudence
Sep 08, 2010 Jenn Jurisprudence rated it liked it
Cute. Definitely a beach read. Character development falls off somewhat toward the middle of the book. I was also surprised that, given the vast body of Springsteen's work, the author's supposed love for the singer and the mention of one of his famous early songs in the book's title, there weren't more, and better, quotes from him. Just sayin'...
Sana Noor
Jun 09, 2011 Sana Noor rated it did not like it
Honestly, i didn't even finish the book. I had forced myself to read it because after reading most reviews i didn't know what to think. But seriously i didn't like it. But that doesn't me you won't like it, i guess its kind of a get-yourself-on-the-right-track kind of a book.
Tonya
Sep 20, 2011 Tonya rated it it was ok
This book was just ok. I wasn't impressed by all the plot twists (which were predictable at best), and I knew how it would end long before the ending. I expected to have them actually talk about Bruce Springsteen more than they did.
Cynthia
Apr 17, 2012 Cynthia rated it it was ok
You know what, I am giving up this one, can't even survive 2 chapters, I tried, I swear!!!! Drags too long and standard romance setting. 1 star for the first chapter, and the other for whatever coming that maybe worth a read.
Emily Goode
Jun 28, 2010 Emily Goode rated it did not like it
another bargain bin special....but, nothing special about this one so far. Will probably struggle through the entire thing but cannot imagine it is going to get any better.....actually I finally just gave up. :)
Chanpreet
Feb 08, 2012 Chanpreet rated it did not like it
I did not finish this book. I for the life of my could not figure out who was narrating the story and what was the truth. I got half way into the book before I stopped.
Stephanie
Sep 03, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Courtesy of the pink design, it looks like a piece of fluffy chick lit. But it turns out that it's actually a well-written mystery/satire. A very enjoyable surprise!
Jen
Jan 27, 2008 Jen rated it it was ok
This book was ok...it was more of a mystery than a romance, but that was kinda fun. I wanted to stop reading it, but I can't, just on principle.
Carol
Jun 01, 2007 Carol rated it it was ok
It's been awhile since I read this. I was debating between 2 and 3 stars. Good if you're on a beach and not looking for a lot else....
Sharon
Dec 18, 2012 Sharon rated it did not like it
Shelves: stopped-reading
I had to create a stopped reading bookshelf on Goodreads - because some books just aren't worth the time to me.
Alison
Jan 30, 2011 Alison rated it liked it
I enjoyed the peppy writing style of the "narrator" and there were some interesting plot twists. Fun book.
Autumn
Jan 29, 2009 Autumn rated it it was amazing
So far so good......
LOVED it lots of twists and turns near the end. Fun and funny to read!!!
Julie
Apr 03, 2008 Julie rated it liked it
I liked it, but I didn't love it. I didn't have me hooked, but it was still good.
Linda
Nov 11, 2014 Linda rated it did not like it
I bought this one for the allusion to Springsteen. My bad.
Annie Lundquist
Dec 26, 2007 Annie Lundquist rated it did not like it
This is a total fluff book, just mindless enough for the holidays!
Neli Cullen
Apr 08, 2009 Neli Cullen rated it it was amazing
In this book i loved the glamour and the gossip....hehehe
Kris
Oct 15, 2009 Kris added it
Cannot get into this one so putting it aside.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Who is Beverly Bartlett?

As a serious journalist for more than 15 years, I covered funerals, tragedies, tax increases, school board scandals, horse races, the occasional heart-warming feature and even war. (From the domestic front.) Working mostly for The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky, I interviewed visiting vice presidents, traveling first ladies and Fabio. It was all terribly exciting.

But I d
More about Beverly Bartlett...