Start by marking “The Sucker's Kiss” as Want to Read:
The Sucker's Kiss

The Sucker's Kiss

3.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
From the highly acclaimed director of Midnight Express and The Commitments comes a sparkling story of a pickpocket's odyssey through America. During the San Francisco earthquake of 1906, seven-year-old Thomas Moran finds himself accidentally embarking on a career in pick-pocketing. In the following years he becomes a master of his dubious craft and grows to manhood traveli ...more
Published November 29th 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Sucker's Kiss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sucker's Kiss

Laurie
Aug 27, 2014 Laurie rated it liked it
This was an entertaining lightweight read about the adventures of a pickpocket, Tommy Moran, taking place during the Great Depression and Prohibition in the San Francisco Bay Area. The story starts during the 1906 earthquake in San Francisco but doesn't really delve into the earthquake situation as deeply as I had hoped. Though I thoroughly enjoyed taking the journey with him, the book came to a rather abrupt conclusion rather than resolving conflicts developed within the storyline. The characte ...more
Katy
Feb 03, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one which made it from the back to the front of the bookcase when i unpacked, but a much luckier find. It follows Tommy, born in 1899, from the 1906 San Francisco earthquake through into the 30's. Tommy lives by picking pockets and keeps on the move across America. The story takes you through prohibition and the depression, and into some fairly shady places, while Tommy is definitely a flawed hero. But he's always written with compassion, and i was rooting for him to get a happier ending ...more
Christopher Dionesotes
It began as a pickpocket's story. The journey the story travelled took a major detour although it told quite a story! It's told in the first person, and it took quite a while to get accustomed to the way the main character spoke without thinking the writing was awful. The last 50 pages were the most interesting although they really had nothing to do with the way the novel was marketed. Take a pass on this book.
Mom2nine
Aug 04, 2013 Mom2nine rated it liked it
This book was an easy read, but oddly written. Follows the life of a boy who starts picking pockets at 7, is on his own at 14. He travels the country by rail connecting with the underbelly of society. Not really a plot with an ending, rather vignettes of his life. Parker should probably not quit his day job, as this could possibly be turned into a movie, but just didn't have the natural flow of a book.
William
Oct 21, 2012 William rated it it was amazing
I have no idea why so many gave this book such a low rating. It is a picaresque Bildungsroman with touches of Oliver Twist, Little Big Man (one of my favorites), Huckleberry Finn, Ragtime, and an added dash of The Scarlet Letter. How could you go wrong? It is entertaining and well researched. I flew through it, at least by my standards of flying.
Sid Hawkins was ballard
It reminded me a little of 'Once Upon a Time in America', I think as the author is primarily a film director, I can see how it would work as a film, but it doesn't work as well as a book - there's not enough depth to it somehow. I was confused by the ending too, did his old friend Sammy ultimately stitch him up or help him avoid death row?
Chambodia
Well-written, but choppy. It actually reads like a collection of short stories for the first half due to the nature of the main character's life as a pickpocket vagabond. When the plot does coalesce in the second half, the story gets weighted down and more bleak than I expected.
Sep 08, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another one I picked up at the Goodwill. Cool story about a kid who finds that he has a talent for picking pockets during the San francisco earthquake and makes a career out of it. The story follows him through prohibition and the great depression. The ending isn't that hot though.
Rae Stanton
Feb 03, 2013 Rae Stanton rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
a good yarn about a young pickpocket who travels around the US without much purpose, until he meets a girl. The story (along with the young man) gets a bit more grounded and things start to get interesting. Nothing fancy, but quite entertaining.
Carol
Jul 12, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I would recommend this book to anyone. The story line carries fluidity starting with a pickpocket that has a pickpocket's morals and flows right through to the Mafia in all its glory.
Pipa Guest
This book was recommended to me by a colleague at work and i thoroughly loved it. A gentle story about America during prohibition and a young boy who grows up whilst it is in force.
Jen
Oct 02, 2012 Jen rated it it was ok
I don't really have a lot to say about this book, I found it totally inoffensive but not really interesting on any level. Not bad, just not exciting!
Anne Mcallister
An easy read, was expecting a Mills and Boon from the picture on the cover, bit it was a bit more interesting than that.
Þóra
Feb 17, 2012 Þóra rated it it was ok
Hugmyndin góð en frásögnin nær aldrei flugi og endirinn passaði einhvern vegin ekki.
Nose in a book (Kate)
Reviewed for my student paper.
Kate
Sep 03, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
Alan Parker should stick to movies.
Amy Black
Jul 10, 2009 Amy Black is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
so far so good :)
Emily Pulham
Emily Pulham rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Samantha K
Samantha K marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Jill Hoffman
Jill Hoffman rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Dene
Dene rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Caitlyn Chase
Caitlyn Chase rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Suzan
Suzan rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2016
Kuen
Kuen marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Marti Doktorchik
Marti Doktorchik rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
More about Alan Parker...