Start by marking “Bad Habits!, Or, the Taming of Lucretzia Crum” as Want to Read:
Bad Habits!, Or, the Taming of Lucretzia Crum

Bad Habits!, Or, the Taming of Lucretzia Crum

Lucretia Crum is a little monster with big, bad and very nasty habits. She wants a birthday party but all the really big monsters turn up and they're really, really bad.
Published June 1st 1999 by Puffin Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bad Habits!, Or, the Taming of Lucretzia Crum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bad Habits!, Or, the Taming of Lucretzia Crum

Peter, Enchantment and Stardust by William  O'BrienPeter by William  O'BrienWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Best Surreal Children's Books!
186th out of 187 books — 48 voters
BIG and Small in the Mirror by Mary FelicianiThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltInterrupting Chicken by David Ezra SteinAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith ViorstOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Book Title
6th out of 32 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 04, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Jan 15, 2010 Ronyell rated it really liked it
Usually, I have not read many books by Babette Cole ever since I was a child, so “Bad Habits” is the first book by Babette Cole that I have ever read. After I read this book, I actually began thinking, “hey, this book is not so bad after all.” But, yeah, there were some points of the book that I was a bit concerned about. Anyway, I will explain the cons of this book later on in this review right after I give a brief summary about “Bad Habits.”

Babette Cole masterfully tells the story of an unciv
May 12, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Lucretzia Crum burps, farts, picks her nose and acts like a little monster until her parents play a trick on her to show her what she'll be like when she grows up if she doesn't change her ways. Good for teaching manners and discussing social skills.
Apr 30, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a humorous story about a rude and ill-tempered little girl named Lucretzia Crum. I laughed when I saw her name and simply explained to our girls that there was a notoriously famous woman in the late 1400s/early 1500s who had a similar name, "Lucrezia." Later on, we were reading Patrick Ryan's book Shakespeare's Storybook: Folk Tales That Inspired the Bard. In it, the story of Lucretia was referenced, stating that Shakespeare mentioned her in several of his works, including As You Like It ...more
Michelle McBeth
Sep 12, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was ok
This book begins with an inventory of Lucretzia Crum's bad habits including being filthy, burping and bending over to fart. She throws tantrums, eats only candy and hurts other people. When other parents complain, her dad's solution is to create inventions that torture the girl by making her smell her own gas, wrapping her in metal tubing, making her unable to move her arms, and putting her in a cage outside the classroom window. Oh, but the horrible parenting doesn't end there. At Lucretzia's b ...more
The Brothers
Lucretzia Crum is a monster of a little girl. She's rude and mean and constantly misbehaves. Her parents try a variety of methods to get her to be good, but none of them work. None work, that is, until they get creative with her birthday party and demonstrate what happens to monstrous little girls when they grow up.

Fun and humorous illustrations.
A ratbag kid gets a taste of her own medicine when her parents set out to teach her that little monsters can grow up to be big monsters. A good morality tale, but the humour was definitely aimed at kids (fart jokes abound).
Nice resolution, and it might work with 3-4 year olds, but probably not those with older siblings or those already in school. My kids can't imagine this would actually work with taming some of their friends' bad manners.
Pretty funny book about being little monsters. If you want to stay away from potty language though (like farting, etc), this isn't a good choice.
Matthew V
Matthew V rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
MH rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2010
Serena rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2011
Abdur-Raheem Modan
Abdur-Raheem Modan rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2016
Jen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2009
Laura Z
Laura Z rated it liked it
May 03, 2011
Ellee rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2010
Reyna rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2009
Yulivee rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Kikiliu rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Sarah Gregory
Sarah Gregory rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Ellinor rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012
Patricia Murphy
Patricia Murphy rated it really liked it
May 14, 2015
Cana rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2010
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2015
Mathew rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2011
Jo rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2010
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2010
Jules rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Bea rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

“The worst thing was that her school-friends began to copy her. They thought it was dead cool to be a little monster like Lucretia Crum!” 2 likes