Start by marking “Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand” as Want to Read:
Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  110 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A seductive, compelling alternate history in the tradition of The Man in the High Castle.
When the mysterious, beautiful Elleander Morning travels through time to Vienna in 1913, her aim is not to visit the birthplace of Schubert and Strauss. Instead, she has come to assassinate a struggling young artist. His name: Adolf Hitler.

But 60 years on, long after Elleander has chan
Published May 1990 by Heyne Verlag (first published January 1st 1984)

Be the first to ask a question about Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

D.L. Thurston
This book was an unexpected joy.

With it, Save the Sci-Fi took a turn away from the foundation and pulp ages of science fiction and presents a novel from the 1980s, falling into that perfect period where digital rights weren't yet a thing but no concerted effort is being made to sweep up these old rights. In doing so they give us an alternate history where the Second World War is stopped by the actions of one woman, the eponymous Elleander Morning.

What little alternate history I've read tends to
Alexandra aka Auntie J
What would happen if someone could go back in time and assassinate Hitler?
Joe Martin
I've long been a sucker for alternate history stories. The sheer "what if" factor in a good story is fascinating. If certain events hadn't happened—or had happened—how would the course of lives and nations have changed?

I'd never heard of this story, until Singularity & Co published it as part of their Save the SciFi project. I'm so glad they did. It's a gem of a book and well worth saving.

The story opens as Elleander Morning, an American woman, enters a café in Vienna and shoots an indigent
Graceann
Dec 02, 2010 Graceann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, a book comes along that makes me say "how have I never heard of this before?" Elleander Morning is just such a book.

It is 1983. Lesley is a newly-divorced woman, starting over with no clear goal in mind. Her father, whom she never really knew, leaves her a legacy: It consists of a letter and a few books. One of those books is the Time Life History of the Second World War. The only problem? There never was a Second World War.

Thus unfold two separate timelines and storylin
Jamie
In the spring of 1913 an Englishwoman walks into a coffee shop in Vienna and shoots to death a 24-year-old “indigent Austro-Hungarian artist” named Adolf Hitler.

In 1983, that woman’s granddaughter inherits a house in London where she discovers a book entitled “The Time-Life History of the Second World War”, a war she’s never heard of. When she makes the book public, some people are horrified, some are offended - but others are inspired.

This was a pretty good read. There wasn’t a tremendous amoun
Pam
Sep 05, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS ABOUND!

First impression -- just now finished the book. I liked it a lot but I would have liked it better without the romantic sub-plot. But the romantic angle was the crux of the story, so I'll just have to accept it.

I liked the snippets of news and events that hinted at other things that might have been different if there had been no WWII -- Germany with the atomic bomb and first in space, dirigibles in use until the 50's, high speed rail (California to New York in a couple of hours!),
Anna
Jan 25, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love a counterfactual and this is a very entertaining one. The titular Elleander Morning defies both time and death apparently through sheer strength of character and decides to use this power to kill Hitler in 1913. The story subsequently picks up in 1983, in a world where without Hitler the Second World War did not happen. Elleander’s granddaughter inherits a book about said war, which sets off a dangerous chain of events. The alternate 1983 is well thought out - the space race and nuclea ...more
Ktmholm
Feb 26, 2014 Ktmholm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
I read it years ago, enjoyed it, recommended it, and now I've re-read it and enjoyed it again. I always remembered the part about Elleander Morning assassinating the young Adolf Hitler, and even more so her granddaughter's discovery of the Time Life Book of WWII--and the fact that it had never taken place. But about other parts I asked myself, "how could I have forgotten this?", particularly the part where history nearly repeated itself (the boyfriend's uncle and a New World Order). Though I fou ...more
John Burt
Sep 17, 2015 John Burt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the cleverest and most touching of all attempts to violate the Hitler Time Travel Exemption Act,* Elleander Morning shows us an alternate timeline through the eyes of a young woman investigating the mystery of why her great-grandmother had travelled to Vienna in 1913 and murdered an impoverished art student named Adolf Hitler.
In this version of 1983 where the Great War never had any sequel, jet aircraft are still an exotic novelty. People cross oceans in liners like the recently restored
Lindsay (Santafefan)
I'm not usually fond of alternative history novels, but this one is superb. Intelligent, with well drawn characters. The movements back and forward in time are initially puzzling but never frustrating. It is as much a mystery as it is a time warp story - and sexiness in the mix. A delightful read.
Michael Hanscom
The best of the Save the Sci Fi selections I've read so far, and one of the first truly interesting variations on the "killing Hitler" idea that I've read.
Rita	 Marie
Jan 25, 2016 Rita Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sff
Well constructed alternate history. Really enjoyed it. I'm glad I bought my own copy so I can reread it at will.
BJ Haun
Dec 10, 2014 BJ Haun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: could-not-finish
Got about 20% of the way through this book before I decided to put it down. None of the characters were doing anything for me, and the plot thus far didn't interest me at all. A shame, considering this seems be one of the highest rated books to come out of Singularity & Co. Ah, well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Philip
Dec 17, 2013 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this when it came out nearly 30 years ago; I recall that I enjoyed it, and think it's time for a re-read.

By the way, in the 'About the Author' description, it mentions that Jerry Yulsman owned 8 typewriters.
Ehirgelt
Mar 05, 2013 Ehirgelt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
A very pleasant surprise. This is a great alternative history. Did World War Two happen? Did Elleander change history? Read and find out.
Bryce Hopkins
Dec 01, 2013 Bryce Hopkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Left me with questions of happenings that did not add up, but well written and engrossing.
Marya
Dec 08, 2010 Marya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Some parts about the war didn't make sense to me, but I loved the story.
Rosa
Nov 06, 2012 Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've ever read.
Kath
Kath marked it as to-read
David
David marked it as to-read
David Morgan
David Morgan marked it as to-read
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Vera
Vera marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Kinga
Kinga added it
Feb 01, 2016
Katrin
Katrin marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Brenda Hancock
Brenda Hancock rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
  • A Scientific Romance
  • Terraplane
  • Resurrection Day
  • Nebula Award Stories 3
  • Lion's Blood (Lion's Blood, #1)
  • In War Times
  • Four Hundred Billion Stars (Four Hundred Billion Stars, #1)
  • This Side of Glory (Plantation Trilogy, #3)
  • A Shortcut in Time (A Shortcut in Time, #1)
  • The Company of the Dead
  • Sputnik Caledonia
  • There Will Be Time
  • In the Drift
  • Wolf Hunt: The Burning Ages
Jerry Yulsman (born February 8, 1924 - August 6, 1999) was an American novelist and a photographer best known for his photographs of Jack Kerouac, notably the cover illustration on Joyce Johnson's memoir Minor Characters.
More about Jerry Yulsman...