Start by marking “Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand” as Want to Read:
Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Elleander Morning is an alternative history in which World War II never happened. In the book's opening pages, Adolf Hitler is sitting in a café in Vienna in 1913 when he is assassinated by an American woman, Elleander Morning. The novel won several awards, including the 1986 Ditmar Award for best international fiction and the Science Fiction Club Deutschland's Kurd-Laßwit ...more
382 pages
Published (first published February 1984)

Be the first to ask a question about Elleander Morning oder Der Krieg, der nicht stattfand

D.L. Thurston
This book was an unexpected joy.

With it, Save the Sci-Fi took a turn away from the foundation and pulp ages of science fiction and presents a novel from the 1980s, falling into that perfect period where digital rights weren't yet a thing but no concerted effort is being made to sweep up these old rights. In doing so they give us an alternate history where the Second World War is stopped by the actions of one woman, the eponymous Elleander Morning.

What little alternate history I've read tends to
Joe Martin
I've long been a sucker for alternate history stories. The sheer "what if" factor in a good story is fascinating. If certain events hadn't happened—or had happened—how would the course of lives and nations have changed?

I'd never heard of this story, until Singularity & Co published it as part of their Save the SciFi project. I'm so glad they did. It's a gem of a book and well worth saving.

The story opens as Elleander Morning, an American woman, enters a café in Vienna and shoots an indigent
Graceann
Every once in a while, a book comes along that makes me say "how have I never heard of this before?" Elleander Morning is just such a book.

It is 1983. Lesley is a newly-divorced woman, starting over with no clear goal in mind. Her father, whom she never really knew, leaves her a legacy: It consists of a letter and a few books. One of those books is the Time Life History of the Second World War. The only problem? There never was a Second World War.

Thus unfold two separate timelines and storylin
Pam
SPOILERS ABOUND!

First impression -- just now finished the book. I liked it a lot but I would have liked it better without the romantic sub-plot. But the romantic angle was the crux of the story, so I'll just have to accept it.

I liked the snippets of news and events that hinted at other things that might have been different if there had been no WWII -- Germany with the atomic bomb and first in space, dirigibles in use until the 50's, high speed rail (California to New York in a couple of hours!),
Jamie
In the spring of 1913 an Englishwoman walks into a coffee shop in Vienna and shoots to death a 24-year-old “indigent Austro-Hungarian artist” named Adolf Hitler.

In 1983, that woman’s granddaughter inherits a house in London where she discovers a book entitled “The Time-Life History of the Second World War”, a war she’s never heard of. When she makes the book public, some people are horrified, some are offended - but others are inspired.

This was a pretty good read. There wasn’t a tremendous amoun
Ktmholm
I read it years ago, enjoyed it, recommended it, and now I've re-read it and enjoyed it again. I always remembered the part about Elleander Morning assassinating the young Adolf Hitler, and even more so her granddaughter's discovery of the Time Life Book of WWII--and the fact that it had never taken place. But about other parts I asked myself, "how could I have forgotten this?", particularly the part where history nearly repeated itself (the boyfriend's uncle and a New World Order). Though I fou ...more
Lindsay (Santafefan)
I'm not usually fond of alternative history novels, but this one is superb. Intelligent, with well drawn characters. The movements back and forward in time are initially puzzling but never frustrating. It is as much a mystery as it is a time warp story - and sexiness in the mix. A delightful read.
Michael Hanscom
The best of the Save the Sci Fi selections I've read so far, and one of the first truly interesting variations on the "killing Hitler" idea that I've read.
BJ Haun
Got about 20% of the way through this book before I decided to put it down. None of the characters were doing anything for me, and the plot thus far didn't interest me at all. A shame, considering this seems be one of the highest rated books to come out of Singularity & Co. Ah, well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Philip
I first read this when it came out nearly 30 years ago; I recall that I enjoyed it, and think it's time for a re-read.

By the way, in the 'About the Author' description, it mentions that Jerry Yulsman owned 8 typewriters.
Auntie J
I'm always pleased when I read something JoAnn has recommended to me. What would happen if someone could go back in time and assassinate Hitler?
Ehirgelt
A very pleasant surprise. This is a great alternative history. Did World War Two happen? Did Elleander change history? Read and find out.
Bryce Hopkins
Left me with questions of happenings that did not add up, but well written and engrossing.
Marya
Loved it! Some parts about the war didn't make sense to me, but I loved the story.
Rosa
One of the best books I've ever read.
alex
alex marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Rabindranauth
Rabindranauth marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Viviana Rizzetto
Viviana Rizzetto is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Scott Cameron
Scott Cameron marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Julai
Julai marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Michael Walcott
Michael Walcott marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Last Liberator The Complete Book Of 35mm Photography Color Photography Simplified (A Modern Photoguide) The Complete Book of Eight MM Movie Making Oh, Copenhagen