Start by marking “101 Poems That Could Save Your Life: An Anthology of Emotional First Aid” as Want to Read:
101 Poems That Could Save Your Life: An Anthology of Emotional First Aid

101 Poems That Could Save Your Life: An Anthology of Emotional First Aid

Prozac has side effects, drinking gives you hangovers, therapy's expensive. For quick and effective relief -- or at least some literary comfort -- from everyday and exceptional problems, try a poem. Over the ages, people have turned to poets as ambassadors of the emotions, because they give voice and definition to our troubles, and by so doing, ease them. No matter how bad ...more
Published December 24th 2002 by HarperTorch (first published October 4th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about 101 Poems That Could Save Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 101 Poems That Could Save Your Life

Lindsay
Mar 17, 2008 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This anthology has some bad poetry, but it also has some great poetry. It has one of my favorite villanelles, "One Art" by Elizabeth Bishop. But it is a bit self-helpish, so there's corny poetry about money and such.
Shonna Froebel
Dec 23, 2012 Shonna Froebel rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a small collection of poems organized by theme for those life moments when we can all use a lift, a laugh, or a step back. Topics include everythings from Bad Hair Day to When You Lose Your Pet, and many things in between.
I found several old friends and made some new ones.
Madhusree
Dec 29, 2016 Madhusree rated it it was amazing
What a gem of a book
Ines
Oct 13, 2016 Ines rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are a few really good poems, but overall, it's nothing special.

Proper review TBD.
Joanna Cabot
Oct 20, 2014 Joanna Cabot rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2014
I loved the concept of this book---poems to batch your mood or situation! What a great idea. But the book fell short for me for two reasons, Firstly, I felt that there were not enough poems. If I were truly depressed, I would need more than 2 or 3 poems to lift me up. But the author either choose too many themes or too few poems, and I found myself wanting more. Secondly, the book had abysmal editing for my Kindle edition., There were typos, some lines indented and others did not, and it just lo ...more
kate
May 14, 2011 kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I discovered W.H. Auden through this anthology. Years later, as a middle school librarian helping a sixth grade class with a poetry unit, I would grab a copy of this book, and read "Funeral Blues" aloud.

The kids were absolutely silence, and discovered the beauty, grace, and emotional wallop of Auden that day.
Célèste
Sep 07, 2011 Célèste rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who think they might like poetry, but don't know where to start
This is a great book to have on your shelf to consult when you need a poem for just the write moment, but it's also a great book to just read all the way through. There's a good mix of poetic styles, but nothing too dense for the non-poetry-fan to understand.
JShier JShier
Aug 16, 2015 JShier JShier rated it it was amazing
I go back to this book now and then. Some of the selected poems are very good indeed. Some of them are mediocre, but as a whole, the book is very nice. There are poems for a variety of moods and they really help to cheer one up and put things in perspective!
Fueledbychocolate
Aug 12, 2016 Fueledbychocolate rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
A few good poems in here (all of which I've read before) but I didn't discover any new gems for my personal favorites folder as I had hoped. I liked the idea of this book and effort behind it. It is just one of those things with poetry, if a poem finds & hits you at the right time it can be magic.
Mindy
Sep 16, 2015 Mindy rated it liked it
I carried this book with me for the past week or so for when I wanted to read on break or lunch at work. It's very entertaining. The poetry is diverse. The forward alone with the Warning and Directions was fantastic. If you find it take a minute to check it out. It will be worth your time.
Kristi Bumpus
Jul 15, 2012 Kristi Bumpus rated it liked it
Some of the selections seemed rather odd to me, and I felt sometimes the commentary was misplaced. But there are a lot of good poems in this volume -- I found old favorites, and a few new favorites, too.
Luka
Oct 20, 2011 Luka rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Low standard of poetry overall, despite a few gems here and there. Was irritated by the several 'God' references.
Tim
Jun 23, 2013 Tim rated it really liked it
A nice collection of poems, some previously unpublished, with some old favourites in too. I enjoyed this book.
Sara
Aug 06, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, poetry
The title is a little cheesy, but sometimes you really do just need a poem as "emotional first aid." The selections are atypical and vary from contemporary to classic.
Lulu
Jan 28, 2016 Lulu rated it liked it
I liked this little book. I loved some of the poems, and thought others were pretty bad. Similarly, there were a few topics that I could not relate to at all.
Cassandra Krenn
Sep 07, 2007 Cassandra Krenn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone.
This book is great. I go to it a lot when I am wanting to read a poem that goes with how I'm feeling. The poems are divided up by certain life experiences -- death, heartache, bad day, etc.
Swaroop
Swaroop rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2012
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2008
Book Lover's Boudoir
Book Lover's Boudoir rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Emma Boyes
Emma Boyes rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Abby Rosmarin
Abby Rosmarin rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Ashley Brickey
Ashley Brickey rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2015
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2013
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it liked it
May 15, 2014
Elizabeth Coleman
Elizabeth Coleman rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Cam
Cam rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Julia Peacock
Julia Peacock rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
  • Father! Father! Burning Bright
  • The Portable Chaucer
  • The Devil's Music
  • I'm a Stranger Here Myself
  • The Dancing Floor (Sir Edward Leithen, #3)
  • A Wayne in a Manger
  • The Theatrical Tapes of Leonard Thynn
DAISY GOODWIN, a Harkness scholar who attended Columbia University’s film school after earning a degree in history at Cambridge University, is a leading television producer in the U.K. Her poetry anthologies, including 101 Poems That Could Save Your Life, have introduced many new readers to the pleasures of poetry, and she was Chair of the judging panel of the 2010 Orange Prize for Fiction. That w ...more
More about Daisy Goodwin...