Start by marking “The Great Silent Grandmother Gathering: A Story for Anyone Who Thinks She Can't Save the World” as Want to Read:

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A story for anyone who thinks she can't save the world"On a buffety, blustery early summer day, when the news was bad and the sky turned yellow, a strange thing happened in the town where I live"So begins this moving and enchanting story of two grandmothers who, by standing in the park all day long-"not speaking, not looking at squirrels, not munching on coconut candy"-soo ...more
Published April 7th 2005 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about The Great Silent Grandmother Gathering, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Silent Grandmother Gathering

Linda Robinson
A friend loaned me this book. She was gifted it from a friend. And so it goes. It's a charming story written by a woman who took a year in Ashland, OR to write a Big Deal Nonfiction Book about scrolls, and once settled in, got a case of writer's block the size of a subcontinent. This is a perfect gift for granddaughter, great-granddaughter, sister who is a grandmother, or any woman or girl who could use a big power boost. Like a psychic external drive with a kajillion GBs of oomph. Now that I'm ...more
Peggy
Tiny "new-age" book about how one or two people can start a movement to better the world. Cute but meaningful. Took 15 min. to read.
Annette
A great story about the power of one, two or many. Suitable for anyone over 8!
Patti
This book has been on my wish list for awhile and I was happy to receive it this Christmas. It is a joy to read and it prompted me to check back in with The Standing Women Movement which was inspired by this book. Through organizing on the internet, Standing Women events happened around the world. I believe the last one was on Mother's Day, 2008. As a grandmother,I silently stood with the Madison,WI women on that day.

President Obama has asked his fellow countrymen to work for change. I believe t
Kaci
Absolutely loved this book. Big big message in a grandma-reading-to-grandkids sized package. An inspiring gift and a perfect book to leave laying around for visitors to pickup or to reread on foggy days, or whenever the your spirit needs a reboot. World peace and the power of one person to make a difference in the world are at the heart of it. I got to hear Sharon read it in person. Only took about 10 minutes. Fantastic book to read out load to all ages.
Peggy
This is probably the shortest book I have ever read but it has a great message. Two grandmothers who don't know each other go to a community park on a blustery summer day, stand still, not talking and they caused such a stir in town. The next day and for days following their numbers grew as women all over the word heard the grandmothers message about saving he world. It was a reminder that small things can have a huge impact.
Bonnie Jeanne
Story is reminiscent of Margaret Mead's famous words "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." The book is very small, only 46 pages, and the story is so simple and direct that it can't be summarized. The author's tale about how the story came to be is just as wonderful.
Cheryl
A simple story that reveals the power in individual expression. Makes me believe I can change things in the world that I don't like. A story that touches a grandmother's heart!
Andd Becker
Two grandmothers start a trend -- to save the world by doing nothing.
The book becomes such a success that the author includes a section on the story of the story.
Connie
Maybe I didn't like it because I'm not a grandmother. Maybe I just didn't like the story. hard to tell. Doesn't matter.
Tania
suberb .. read while parked in Petone ... then gave to Barbara at Moera.

Good book to remind me about "writers block" etc.
Ngyw
A story encouraging you to stop is a good story.
Tomoko
Tomoko marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Art J. Sannel
Art J. Sannel marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Madeline
Madeline marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Emily Hoopes
Emily Hoopes marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013