Start by marking “Women in Mathematics” as Want to Read:
Women in Mathematics

Women in Mathematics

The colorful lives of these women, who often traveled in the most avant-garde circles of their day, are presented in fascinating detail. The obstacles and censures that were also a part of their lives are a sobering reminder of the bias against women still present in this and other fields of academic endeavor. Mathematicians, science historians, and general readers will fi ...more
Published February 15th 1975 by Mit Press (first published February 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Women in Mathematics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women in Mathematics

James
Apr 24, 2016 James rated it liked it
A cross section of important female personalities in mathematics (such as they were) over the history of the field. Some names were familiar to me in some way, but many of them were completely unknown to me, despite some important contributions to mathematics.

As far as the contributions themselves go, this book falls well short of the mark, mostly only naming in something like a laundry list the topics to which each woman contributed. Notable exceptions are the works of Sonya Kovalevsky and Emmy
Kristin Lieber
Feb 08, 2016 Kristin Lieber rated it really liked it
Nice slim novel contains biographies of Hypatia, Maria Agnesi, Emilie de Breteuil, Caroline Herschel, Sophie Germain, Mary Fairfax Somerville, Sonya Corvin-Krukovsky Kovalevsky, and Emmy Noether.

A good resource should you be looking for positive role models for women and girls. Written from a well-balanced feminist perspective that does not gloss over, nor focus exclusively on, the barriers these women faced in the academic mathematical community. Contains more theory and mathematical "meat" tha
Kevin
Aug 03, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
A great brief summary of the lives of some incredible women in science history. The first spotlight on Hypatia sparked my interest in learning more about her. After reading about Ada Lovelace's mathematical interests from elsewhere, I was somewhat aware of Mary Somerville's contributions to science literacy in the early-mid 1800s. I was pleased to find a good amount of content given for her.
This book will introduce you to some key women that showed that STEM fields don't need to be dominated by
Claudia
Apr 16, 2013 Claudia rated it really liked it
For a high school math project, I had to choose a book title from the list my teacher gave me, and I decided to read this book because it was relatively short. However, once I started reading it, I was surprised about how interested I was. I would recommend it to anyone who loves reading about strong, confident women who are not afraid to turn against society's expectations.
Emily
Aug 03, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
This book is a good introduction to the subject of women in mathematics. The biographies are short, and include both mathematical accomplishments as well as interesting information about personal lives.
Patricia
Dec 16, 2008 Patricia rated it liked it
Well-researched articles about a variety of women mathematicians.
Madison Branch
Madison Branch marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Lea Kris
Lea Kris marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Julia
Julia added it
Aug 31, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Jeje Momen
Jeje Momen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Islam Abou Hamda
Islam Abou Hamda marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Karen
Karen added it
Jun 06, 2016
Nayara Ferreira
Nayara Ferreira marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Riri
Riri marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Iman Jafar
Iman Jafar marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Sena
Sena marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Maxine Steele
Maxine Steele marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Taylor Xu
Taylor Xu marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Jesal
Jesal is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2016
stepheartsyou
stepheartsyou marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Beata
Beata marked it as to-read
Manall
Manall marked it as to-read
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Diana
Diana added it
Feb 24, 2016
Danika
Danika marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Freya Snart
Freya Snart marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Anamarija Užbinec
Anamarija Užbinec marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016