Start by marking “Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President” as Want to Read:
Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President

Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Available for the first time in paperback, Keeping Faith is Jimmy Carter's account of the satisfaction, frustration, and solitude that attend the man in the Oval Office.
Published July 1st 1995 by University of Arkansas Press (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Faith

Mikey B.
This is a well written book of his presidential years. The man comes off as forthright. It is not entirely a chronological re-telling of those years – some of the events or his major legislation is told within that context – such as the revision to the Panama Canal Treaty and his genuine pursuit for conservation of energy and fuel consumption. He recalls all these logically and elaborates on the pitfalls he encountered. It is amazing how any bill or legislation can get passed in the United State ...more
Hadrian
Insightful and perceptive. Carter was too honest for politics.
Tiffany
This was a good overview memoir of some of the bigger topics during Jimmy Carter's time as president: the Iran hostages, Middle East peace, the Soviet Union, China, the economy, the environment, etc.

Rather than being chronological, the book is broken up by topics: a section about China, a section about the Panama Canal, a major section about the hostages, on and on. This was a good and bad way to lay out the book: on the one hand, it made it easier for the reader to focus on one topic, and all
Jason Chambers
Carter's memoir was fascinating and contrasted others in that he was much more open about mistakes made and his decision making processes. It reads much more like a neighbor telling you a story than a statesman reviewing his career, and in a good way.

I also prefer the memoirs that focus on specific events and large decisions made, and Carter sticks to that format without getting too bogged down in daily details (like Clinton and Nixon tend to in their memoirs).
Lauren
President Jimmy Carter's 1st hand account of his presidency. Particularly interesting when he takes you inside the delicate peace negotiations between him, Prime Minister Begin of Israel and Anwar Sadat of Egypt. Also tells the beginnings of our continuing troubles with Iran,as he describes the taking of hostages from our embassy in Iran and the failed rescue mission he authorized.
David
I admire President Carter more with each passing year, and I'm still proud to have voted for him in the first presidential election in which I could vote. I was a junior in college, about to turn 21, and I went to my polling place and stood in line for about an hour to vote. His memoirs of his presidency demonstrate the integrity of the man I supported in 1980.
Tom
This is certainly not the most gripping thing I've ever read, but I don't know that I've ever read anything that I've learned more from.
From the way the political system actually works, to how to negotiate treaties, this book lays it all out.
It further adds to my support for Jimmy Carter as an exemplary human being.
Catherine Adde
A true proponent for peacekeeping, that is why he is a hero to me. A generous and kind man, and one who I met while he signed this very book for me in 1983. God bless you Jimmy Carter.
Barbara
JImmy Carter is a true peacekeeper and and a better example of his faith in action is inspiring.
Wayne
I couldn't finish it. All politics aside, I just didn't find the book well written.
Douglas Graney
Detailed, interesting. Much better than Clinton's, Reagan's and Nixon's.
Michael
As one could expect, very heavy on the Middle East.
Jason D'Souza
Jason D'Souza marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Carlene Foley
Carlene Foley marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Sidney Dodson jr.
Sidney Dodson jr. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Roger Phillips
Roger Phillips is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2015
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
  • The Unfinished Presidency: Jimmy Carter's Journey to the Nobel Peace Prize
  • Nixon Volume #1: The Education of a Politician, 1913-62
  • Grant, a Biography
  • Patriarch: George Washington and the New American Nation
  • George H. W. Bush (The American Presidents, #41)
  • Jimmy Carter (The American Presidents, #39)
  • The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House
  • Jefferson the President: First Term, 1801-1805
  • James Monroe: The Quest for National Identity
  • Zachary Taylor (The American Presidents, #12)
James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter created two new cabinet-level departments: the Department of Energy and the Department of
More about Jimmy Carter...
Our Endangered Values: America's Moral Crisis Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid An Hour Before Daylight: Memoirs of a Rural Boyhood A Call to Action: Women, Religion, Violence, and Power The Hornet's Nest