Start by marking “Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President” as Want to Read:
Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President

Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President

Available for the first time in paperback, Keeping Faith is Jimmy Carter’s account of the satisfaction, frustration, and solitude that attend the man in the Oval Office.

Keeping Faith is Jimmy Carter’s account of the satisfaction, frustration, and solitude that attend the man in the Oval Offce. Mr. Carter writes candidly about the crises that confronted him during his tenur
Published July 1st 1995 by University of Arkansas Press (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keeping Faith

Mikey B.
This is a well written book of his presidential years. The man comes off as forthright. It is not entirely a chronological re-telling of those years – some of the events or his major legislation is told within that context – such as the revision to the Panama Canal Treaty and his genuine pursuit for conservation of energy and fuel consumption. He recalls all these logically and elaborates on the pitfalls he encountered. It is amazing how any bill or legislation can get passed in the United State ...more
Tiffany
Nov 05, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio_autobio
This was a good overview memoir of some of the bigger topics during Jimmy Carter's time as president: the Iran hostages, Middle East peace, the Soviet Union, China, the economy, the environment, etc.

Rather than being chronological, the book is broken up by topics: a section about China, a section about the Panama Canal, a major section about the hostages, on and on. This was a good and bad way to lay out the book: on the one hand, it made it easier for the reader to focus on one topic, and all
Jason Chambers
Dec 28, 2012 Jason Chambers rated it really liked it
Carter's memoir was fascinating and contrasted others in that he was much more open about mistakes made and his decision making processes. It reads much more like a neighbor telling you a story than a statesman reviewing his career, and in a good way.

I also prefer the memoirs that focus on specific events and large decisions made, and Carter sticks to that format without getting too bogged down in daily details (like Clinton and Nixon tend to in their memoirs).
Lauren
Sep 08, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
President Jimmy Carter's 1st hand account of his presidency. Particularly interesting when he takes you inside the delicate peace negotiations between him, Prime Minister Begin of Israel and Anwar Sadat of Egypt. Also tells the beginnings of our continuing troubles with Iran,as he describes the taking of hostages from our embassy in Iran and the failed rescue mission he authorized.
Kristyn
Dec 31, 2010 Kristyn rated it really liked it
very well-written and engaging memoirs. i liked the organization, which was by issue rather than a straight chronology. i expected this to be a slog that would take some time (i'm looking at you, clinton's autobio), but it was very readable, and i found myself staying up late to finish chapters.
Hadrian
Insightful and perceptive. Carter was too honest for politics.
Mmiller400m
Jan 09, 2016 Mmiller400m rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presidents
The book gets a 3, the president gets a 4.5. I gained a lot of respect for Jimmy Carter by reading this book and I can't help but think what might have happened if he had been able to serve a 2nd term. Maybe Reagan would have faded away and never ran again. Maybe the Cold War could have ended even sooner. Maybe his efforts in the Middle East would have continued and we would have an entirely different situation in that region of the world than what we're left with 36 years after he left office. ...more
Jerry Landry
Fascinating read for presidential history/political history folks but probably not one that I'd recommend a person pick up and read in general. It is interesting to read Carter's perspective on his presidency, and I'd like to read more of his memoirs to see if he returns to any of the reflections that he touched on in this memoir and, if so, if they change over time. The most exciting part to me was the details of the Camp David summit. It was fascinating to read about the back and forth of the ...more
Tom
Aug 10, 2008 Tom rated it really liked it
This is certainly not the most gripping thing I've ever read, but I don't know that I've ever read anything that I've learned more from.
From the way the political system actually works, to how to negotiate treaties, this book lays it all out.
It further adds to my support for Jimmy Carter as an exemplary human being.
David
Jun 20, 2007 David rated it really liked it
I admire President Carter more with each passing year, and I'm still proud to have voted for him in the first presidential election in which I could vote. I was a junior in college, about to turn 21, and I went to my polling place and stood in line for about an hour to vote. His memoirs of his presidency demonstrate the integrity of the man I supported in 1980.
Michael
Aug 26, 2007 Michael rated it it was ok
As one could expect, very heavy on the Middle East.
Barbara
Dec 04, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it
JImmy Carter is a true peacekeeper and and a better example of his faith in action is inspiring.
Catherine Adde
Sep 28, 2009 Catherine Adde rated it really liked it
A true proponent for peacekeeping, that is why he is a hero to me. A generous and kind man, and one who I met while he signed this very book for me in 1983. God bless you Jimmy Carter.
Christopher Curtis
Christopher Curtis rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2009
Christopher Amador
Christopher Amador rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2012
Wayne
Jun 16, 2012 Wayne rated it liked it
I couldn't finish it. All politics aside, I just didn't find the book well written.
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2013
Cynthia Mariano
Cynthia Mariano rated it really liked it
May 03, 2012
Tripp
Tripp rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2013
Deepak
Deepak rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Willis Whitlock
Willis Whitlock rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2009
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2014
Cindy Loomis-Torvi
Cindy Loomis-Torvi rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2017
Marty
Marty rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2007
Diane Vermette
Diane Vermette rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Hedgeknight
Hedgeknight rated it it was ok
Mar 25, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Ryon Keith
Ryon Keith rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2015
Bill Roland
Bill Roland rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • President James Buchanan: A Biography
  • Breach of Faith: The Fall of Richard Nixon
  • The Arrogance of Power: The Secret World of Richard Nixon
  • Memoirs, Vol 2: Years of Trial and Hope (Leaders of Our Times)
  • The Autobiography of Calvin Coolidge
  • At Ease: Stories I Tell to Friends
  • The Haldeman Diaries
  • Martin Van Buren: The Romantic Age of American Politics
  • The Day Kennedy Was Shot
  • Washington
  • The Vantage Point: Perspectives of the Presidency 1963-1969.
  • The Choice: How Bill Clinton Won
  • The Clinton Wars
  • Speech-less: Tales of a White House Survivor

James Earl "Jimmy" Carter, Jr. was the thirty-ninth President of the United States, serving from 1977 to 1981, and the recipient of the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize. Prior to becoming president, Carter served two terms in the Georgia Senate and as the 76th Governor of Georgia, from 1971 to 1975.

As president, Carter
More about Jimmy Carter...