Start by marking “The Flying Witch” as Want to Read:

The Flying Witch

Whirr. Whirr.
Clunkety-clank
Here comes Baba Yaga!
Flying her mortar and pestle, the witch with the long iron nose scours the countryside for plump young children to eat. But will she be a match for the fiesty little girl she hopes to throw into her soup? New York Times best-selling author Jane Yolen has created a clever, original story based on hundreds of traditional Russia
Published August 5th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Flying Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Flying Witch

Eva Leger
Jan 16, 2011 Eva Leger rated it did not like it
Shelves: julias-books
MISS!!! In case anyone 'missed' (hehe) that allow me to shout it again: MISS!!!
My God, this is terrible. What toddler knows the definition of 'morar' and 'pestle'? My five year old daughter happens to be beyond her age group in just about every subject and in vocab she's hurtling through it faster than anything I've ever seen. She used words you just do not expect to hear from a five year old. And yet.
Julia and I are both fans of fairly tales and folk tales. But this missed the mark by about a t
Kara
Sep 01, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it

Something about showing Baba Yaga flying upside down made her seem extra creepy.

Meanwhile, I liked how in this version the father and daughter worked together - despite being separated - to outwit the witch.
The Reading Countess
Dec 28, 2011 The Reading Countess rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely stunning illustrations help tell the tale of Baba Yaga, the flying witch, and her plan to fatten a young girl lost in the woods. The young girl tricks the flying witch into finding her farmer father at the market.
Carol
Oct 17, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairy-tale
The Flying Witch is not a traditional Baba Yaga story, but it’s still entertaining. I love that we have a strong female lead in the little girl and a dad who is not the stereotypical disinterested/absent fairy tale father. He cares and risks his safety to go after her.

The ending was a bit of a surprise. I expected the girl to get away, but it was actually a happy ending all around.

You can see my whole review at Carol's Notebook.
Monika
Jul 16, 2012 Monika rated it really liked it
Introduces a Russian witch called Baba Yaga who flies in a mortar and pestle. She tried looking for children to eat, but the forest did not have any. Instead she ate very plain soup. A little girl gets lost in the forest, and Baba Yaga finds her. Baba Yaga offers her a ride home, but instead takes her back to her house propped up by chicken feet. She tried to eat her, but the girl tricks her and says that she is not fat enough to eat yet. She tells the witch her father sells turnips and if the w ...more
Benjamin Zapata
Feb 15, 2014 Benjamin Zapata rated it it was ok
Not the best fairy tale from Jane Yolen, but the illustrations by Vladimir Vagin are remarkable. I still love the old Russian tales about Baba Yaga, like the ones in the classic books by Aleksandr Afanas'ev like "Russian Fairy Tales", and W.R.S. Ralston's "Russian Folk-Tales".
Kami
Aug 30, 2015 Kami rated it did not like it
My kids liked it. I thought it was lame. I hate scrubbed clean fairy tales where everyone (including the witch) live happily ever after. Lame. Lame. Lame.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange, but entertaining Baba Yaga tale. The illustrations are nicely detailed and we were surprised by the witch's conveyance. Instead of a broom, she rides a mortar and pestle.

The story has an oddly happy ending we did not expect. The witch is very frightening-looking, but even her ugly appearance seems to soften at the end of the tale. Overall, we enjoyed reading this book together, but it's not our favorite of the Baba Yaga tales we've read recently.
Ashley
Dec 05, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
My girls absolutely LOVED this book! Who knew? That's how we got started with Jane Yolen books. She is phenomenal - great vocabulary, imagery, wide topic base. Best children's books I've read in awhile!
Jessie
Mar 21, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
My 3-yr-old loved this book. It was a cute fairy tale with a happy ending for all. I liked that it stared a clever little girl who was brave and self-assured and outsmarted the witch.
Amy M
Jul 26, 2012 Amy M rated it really liked it
I found the illustrations to be underwhelming and just not to my taste, but The Flying Witch is an interesting retelling of the Baba Yaga story.
Erik Mallinson
Modern twist on the story. It was OK but I prefer the older ones.
Erin (work)
Mar 21, 2013 Erin (work) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Read for Phil's, 3/21/13. a little scary.
Kathryn Blakely
Kathryn Blakely rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Capri
Capri added it
Aug 03, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Eliza
Eliza rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Levi
Levi added it
May 24, 2016
Marilyn Olson
Marilyn Olson rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Lili
Lili rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Terra
Terra added it
Apr 07, 2016
Claire Short
Claire Short is currently reading it
Mar 29, 2016
Kendall
Kendall marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Mary Beth
Mary Beth rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Sausalito Story Time Books
Sausalito Story Time Books rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Oksana
Oksana rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...