Start by marking “Beethoven Lives Upstairs” as Want to Read:
Beethoven Lives Upstairs

Beethoven Lives Upstairs

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Relive the musical sensation the Venetian musician experienced when he composed the Ninth Symphony near the end of his life. In the form of letters, the book tells a fictional story of Beethoven's life.
Published March 1st 1999 by Orchard Books (NY) (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Beethoven Lives Upstairs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beethoven Lives Upstairs

Ludwig van Beethoven. The materful composer who created impassioned sonatas and harmonious symphonies. The troubled genius.

The Story.

Ever since Christoph’s father died, there has been a void in the home. A void which has left Christoph lonely, despite the fact that his mother and two younger siblings are still there to love him. It just isn’t the same without Father.

And then comes a lodger. A lodger whom Christoph’s Uncle Karl recommended – and who is moving into Father’s old study! Such an act
Paul Farbman
Apr 26, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Third Grade or above
Beethoven Lives Upstairs is told in an exchange of letters between a boy named Christoph and his Uncle Karl. After Christoph's father dies, Beethoven moves into his home as a very eccentric tenant. As it relates to the categories of music in children's literature described by Calogero (2002), this book would fit into the category of "books, either fictional or nonfictional, about composers and musicians". It talks about Beethoven's life as a child, deaf composer, and hearing pianist.

The reader c
Alex Blose
This book is about a young boy, Christoph, who is living in a house with the famous conductor, Beethoven. Christoph writes to his Uncle Karl telling him first how he wishes that Beethoven was not there because he makes so much noise, but then after learning how great Beethoven is and why he does the things he does through his Uncle, Christoph learns to appreciate Beethoven, the work that he does, and his final masterpieces.

This book was very easy to read because 99% of it is written in letter fo
Barbara VA
I have seen this movie many times and read it when it first came out with my children.

A perfect story and book! Beethoven towards the end of his life and plagued by his deafness moves into the home of a widow as he is finishing the composition of his 9th symphony. While the public loves his music, the people that live around him do not understand the agonies and frustrations he deals with. While any disability is horrid, for the finest musical genius to struggle so is unimaginable. The young son
Teshamae
I didn't think I would like this book. Letters? In a children's book? But I ended up loving it. It kept my 5-year-old daughter's attention! And I felt like we were on a treasure hunt, reading these old letters to discover the story. Fun!
Angela
This is a really fun story that will introduce kids to the life of Beethoven.
James Govednik
A young boy living in Vienna finds his family’s life turned upside down when his mother rents a room to Ludwig van Beethoven. The story is told through letters exchanged between Christoph and his Uncle Kurt, a university music student who had a hand in the arrangement. Although the strongest versions of the story are the original audio CD and the HBO video, the book is a worthwhile read. Readers must make many inferences as they read, as the epistolary form only hints at certain story details. F ...more
Emma Elsie

Makes me think that people who cannot see or hear are no different from the people that can see and hear, they just have a different way of thinking about it.
Sara

"...music can change the world."
Tara Mensing
Beethoven lives upstairs gives some insight as to what it might be like to have a genius but deaf neighbor. Christoph, the little boy who tells the tale by writing letters to his uncle at first is mortified by Beethoven's strange behavior. Christoph's uncle continually reminds him to picture himself in Beethoven's shoes and eventually he does. Great historical fiction!
Teri
What a delightful way to be exposed to Beethoven. This is a historical fiction story set to selected Beethoven pieces. My kids LOVED it! Ryann always wants to listen to a story in the car, while Laine always wants to listen to music. Now they're both happy. I can't rave enough about this book on CD! After the 9th symphony we all cheered!
Casey
I enjoyed this book. A fan of historical fiction, it's not often you find something with this much information targeted to kids. Something that would be fun to do a report on or as a class read in upper elementary school. A lot of factual information, but plenty of room for learning about the time period and musicians.
Elizabeth
A great story, written via letters between an uncle and his nephew, Christoph. Christoph relates what it is like living below Beethoven. Facts that are known about Beethoven--his genius and his struggles and interwoven throughout the book. This is a great springboard for a study or discussion of Beethoven!
Lucia
Mar 24, 2008 Lucia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history buffs that are not snobbish
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I think I own a copy of this from my days as a teacher. How have I not read it?

Having played Beethoven as a youngster, I feel I have cheated myself by not knowing him any better. This is a meer glimpse of a part of his life. I want to read more about him.

I love the beautiful illustrations.
Adam
Very nice! Though I skimmed some, I couldn't forget the dog part. I really liked the cuties and storyline. However some details are lost. I anyways enjoyed how well this plot and letters went back and forth! Really nice! Recommend to anyone who loves music.
Elaine
Sep 05, 2008 Elaine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All kids and their parents (who might just end up enjoying it as much as their children)
I love the Classical Kids series! They are great entertainment that can be listened to over and over. The stories are fun, the voices are great, and the music is beautiful. A great way to introduce classical music and the composers to kids!
Katelyn Warner
* First half of 19th century
* Beethoven/music/creative unit
* Could be used for multiple perspectives
* From the perspective of a boy who lives beneath Beethoven
* Picture book, but maybe for 3rd grade
* Class library addition
Allison
I picked this up out of memories for the video version we watched in Violin class. It's entertaining with beautiful illustrations and acts as a good introduction to the composer for young children.
Lynnette
This is a classic fictional story about Beethoven's later years. This book has great illustrations and some good information.
Katie
Another winner. The story was good and my kids were excited to learn about the composer who Schroeder loves so much.
InYourFaceNewYorker
Dragged on at times, but probably good for kids who are interested in classic music and its composers.
Silas
Very good book. The boy in the books name is Christoph, just like our friend.
Marla Glenn
Listened to this story with my kids when they were younger. We all loved it!
Teri
Good-but a little on the long side, written in letter format
Jo
Sep 30, 2007 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I have listen to the audio of this so many times. Vary special.
Catherine
I remember listening to this as a kid. I really enjoyed it.
Coco
Very good story and music combined together.
Asma
Asma marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Neo Leo: The Ageless Ideas of Leonardo da Vinci
  • Skit-Scat Raggedy Cat: Ella Fitzgerald
  • I, Galileo
  • Play, Louis, Play!: The True Story of a Boy and His Horn
  • Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale
  • Music Was It: Young Leonard Bernstein
  • For the Love of Music : the remarkable story of Maria Anna Mozart
  • Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Mama Don't Allow
  • The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • Magic Tree House: #38-39
  • Davy Crockett: Young Rifleman (Childhood of Famous Americans Series)
  • Handel, Who Knew What He Liked
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • The Bicycle Man
  • Katie and the Mona Lisa
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Before John Was a Jazz Giant: A Song of John Coltrane
Tales of Don Quixote Dippers One Small Garden Trunks All Aboard: An Elephant ABC Biscuits in the Cupboard