Start by marking “Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aftermath (Aftermath, #1)

Aftermath (Aftermath #1)

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  3,200 Ratings  ·  469 Reviews

Some things don’t change. Others definitely do.

Published March 2nd 2015 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Aftermath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftermath

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
2 stars.**Review completed September 5, 2013

I feel a little bit lonely...

photo tumblr_mf9ru2Rmvj1r9aisho1_500_zps0a191ada.gif

The premise of Aftermath did sound compelling. Add in the fact that ten of my friends and one of my followers rated it either with four or five stars and I thought "Count me in!" It started off promising and I've had a good feeling, but it began to fizzle out soon enough. Well, it's kinda obvious that I can't trust my gut feeling all the time. In fact, I was dead wrong with Aftermath. After I posted my first update at 10 %
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This book has mostly 5 star reviews from ALL of my friends so please feel free to ignore me.

I couldn't finish this book.

None of it worked for me. I didn't like the detached writing style, the constant flashbacks (I sometimes had trouble knowing if it was present or past going on for a few moments), and the rapid POV switches. I didn't like the way the wife was portrayed, like the fact that she wasn't supportive made it okay to (view spoiler). The whole book just di
Vishous
When I first started reading this book I really expected it to be really dark because of the blurb. But honestly I think it's one of the sweetest story I read. Usually don't like too sweet books but this one was perfect. It wasn't over the top,there wasn't any drama or any angst in the process of their relationship. It was actually pretty normal how everything went.

You have present time and parts when they have flashbacks and remember how it was when they were abducted, hold captive and abused.
Duchess Nicole
"That was fucking brutal."
"No." Austin disagreed. "We know what brutal is, and this wasn't it."

First off, I want to start off by saying that this was not nearly as dark as I thought it would be. Between the cover and some other reviews I'd read, I was extremely hesitant to read this one but this is NOT A DARK ROMANCE! There are some scenes that include a bit of torture but it's not a huge mindfuck of a book...no one falls in love with their torturer, there are no sadistic sexual games. This is
Mirjana ***Let's Sound It Out - - - Mary-On-A***

***4.25 Stars***

Aftermath is a book that has been sitting on my kindle forever. The blurb sucked me in and the premise was intriguing, but I kept passing it by thinking that I'd need to be in the right mindset to read a dark romance.

This book is definitely not a dark romance....AT ALL. Is it difficult to read at times? Yes. But this book sits firmly on the foundation of friendship, companionship, hope, healing and love.

The book takes place one month after Cam and Austin's release from their ki
Natasha
There are not enough crying gifs on the internet to express my feelings about this book.

God damn. I cried reading this a lot. This book was special. Very special. I found the story to be unique and extremely compelling.
Sometimes with books that involve a lot of trauma I find them to be a bit overly dramatic and I find myself sad/crying for silly reasons... this book had none of those silly reasons. I honest to god cried like 5 times while reading this book.

I laughed a lot as well. And damn, were
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
May 05, 2015 Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ by: Val ⚓️ Shameless, Bitchy, Skanky & Not Sorry ⚓️ "But I Digress" Queen

4.5 PTSD-meets-GFY Stars!

photo B74BAADE-ED9E-473B-BD21-90BECBB2101E_zpspzkwauoe.jpg

Aftermath
was recommended to me by a couple friends lately and I'm so thankful I listened. It was really a different plot-line and that was refreshing! The book takes us back and forth with flashbacks in time to when Cam and Austin were abducted. Both men hadn't known each other at the time when a psycho abducted several men and housed them in a dungeon basement. Not gonna lie, peeps, the treatment of these men was pretty brutal. I wouldn't tag this entirely dark but it
DW
May 11, 2016 DW rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-love
What a great read. I loved Austin and Cam. Going in I did not know what to expect. Mainly because I didnt really read about it. I was hooked from the beginning.

Austin and Cam went through hell and back and they were still helping each other fight through the traumatic nightmare. Being held captive in a tiny cell together for five months they learned to depend on the other to survive. It was insane what they went through but now that it was over, they were trying to work through the nightmares a
Sheziss
I’m in the minority here.

I had this book for ages in my shelf because almost everybody loves it. So that’s why I feel pretty lost, like I mixed the directions to the party and ended up in a different place instead, you know?

TBH, if this hadn’t been for my BR friends, I'd have given up for sure.

The first 50% was very hard for me to read. Not because of the kidnapping and abuse thing, no. On one hand I got the feeling this was boring. On the other one, I need to go on and find out what would hap
Vilda
"[...] you're the only person in the world who makes sense right now."

Aftermath wasn't quite as dark as I expected, but that definitely didn't stop it from being a really good read! While I wasn't mind-blown, I definitely ended up loving it and these two men's story.

I love these types of hurt/comfort reads. It was awful seeing what they'd been put through in the past, but it definitely made you understand what had happened. And it made so much sense about feeling as if only the other person ma
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Jan 13, 2014 Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
Absolutely Fabulous!

OK..now that I sat on my thoughts of this book overnight, I still think it was fricken fabulous in a heartbreaking and very emotional way.

These guys have been thru hell & back..together. They are locked in a cell together for 5 months, they learn to count on each other to get them thru each day..'patching' each other up and while not really noticing it at the time...falling in love with each other.

The story is told in present tense and we learn of what happened to them
Karen
Aug 23, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and RILEY!!! Sorry, I love that name.

Gun or No Gun...

Imagine being held hostage...a prisoner against your will to a stranger you've never met...never laid eyes on and they keep you locked up in a basement no windows, no light unless they allow it. You don't know why this has happened to you. All you truly know is you're not alone there are 9 other men just like you...trapped in tiny cells, 2 men in ever cell, wearing shackles, you
Steelwhisper
Sep 14, 2016 Steelwhisper rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Steelwhisper by: Vfields needs to be happy!
1.5*

I nearly fell asleep trying to read this. Twice. Once in the morning, once later in the day, so it really wasn't me and sleep deficit.

Given the outré topic I found this to be boring, meh and far, far too talkative. I didn't like how the wife got set up as a typical GFY-trope-ish "mean bitch", and I'm sort of really over "typical American males" barely able to walk straight for their masculinity [problems]. I was unable to make it past the first 30%.

The idea is interesting, which is why I rou
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Angsty, emotional, and brutal at times. I loved this story from beginning to end. Even the parts that were hard to read felt necessary to see where these men came from and how they got to where they are.
Christelle
Aug 22, 2016 Christelle rated it really liked it
Another great BR for the Fantastic Four !! Thanks to Karen, Josy and Sheziss

How to rate this book ? 3 stars for the first half and 5 stars for the 2nd part, so overall, it’s 4 stars.

As mentioned in the blurb, Cam and Austin are 2 very different men. Their life would never have mixed but for a mad man who abducted them along with 8 others men and kept them imprisoned, barely surviving, and tortured them. During that time, Cam and Austin, total opposite but forced to share the same cell, slowly le
Amy
Nov 18, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amazing! I love love loved this book! It’s told in the present tense with flashbacks to the past when Austin and Cam were held captive and abused for 5 months. It’s brutal and heartbreaking, but also beautiful as they realize they are drawn to each other as more than just friends. Austin is married and has a 10-year-old daughter. His wife keeps insisting that he forget the past and move on. (I was not a fan of her at all. She seemed so cold and heartless.) As a result, Austin begins to find ...more
Silkeeeeee
AUTHOR'S BLURB:

"Austin Huntley and Cameron Nash are like night and day. One is a family man, works in a nice office, drives an expensive car, and is content to be content. The other one is an antisocial car mechanic with a short fuse.

Some things don’t change. Others definitely do.

After surviving a five-months long kidnapping together, they struggle to return to normalcy, all while realizing that they're more drawn to each other than they ever could've imagined.

"I know I'm not normal, but I'm not
Bev
Oct 01, 2013 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bev by: AE

This is a really good novel. 4.5 stars and

Flashbacks of 10 seemingly random men... kidnapped, and held captive in a basement for 5 months, no light, little food, appalling sanitary conditions, tortured, beaten.....

Present day sees two of the men Austin and Cam growing ever closer. Cam had issues himself before he was held in captivity, and now finds that only Austin seems to be able to understand and calm him down. They only had each other to rely upon in captivity, and bonds were forged betwe
figuranta❤️addicted❤️to❤️books❤️
5 Stars

photo sexygaygifgif1gif2_zps25874e0e.gif

As i am sitting right now at my laptop trying to put into words wot i am feeling after i finish this book i realized i just don't have the words to make justice to it so this will probably just going to be another of my rumbling reviews how much i loved it.

I THINK BY NOW EVERYONE KNOWS THAT I AM A SUCKER FOR A GOOD M/M BOOK AND I HAVE TO SAY, THIS BOOK WAS REALLY, REALLY GOOD. BLEW MY MIND AWAY. EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT ABOUT THIS BOOK: THE STORY LINE, THE CHEMISTRY, THE CONNECTION, THE DE
Barbara
Sep 18, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"To hell and back with you"

This book is awesome, I love, love and love it!!

It starts like…

And then…

The ending is…
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Aug 24, 2013 JustJen "Miss Conduct" rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, ebook, kindle
There were so many things I liked about this story. Even things I don't normally like, I liked here and felt they were important parts.

It was so easy to grasp how these guys changed after their months of captivity. I never had any doubt they would need to make some serious changes. One thing I am not a fan of is flashbacks. However, in this case, they were some of the best parts of the story telling of their experiences while kidnapped. They were spaced out perfectly throughout the story and gav
Val ⚓️ Shameless & Bitchy Skanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads Mrs. Danvers-Tate-Snow
4-4.5 Stars

This was really, really good. I really liked Cam and Austin and their interactions with each other and their families. I love it when characters really need each other and Cam and Austin definitely did. The only thing I didn't love was the flashback style story telling, but that's just personal preference. Otherwise, this was a really solid m/m novella and I will definitely read more from this author.
Smith Barney
This story boils down to expectation levels of what is subjectively perceived as 'dark content' for some readers. The cover, title and blurb is clever but in actuality the written content and plausibility factor demonstrates it being just that..just merely clever marketing.

(For me) this ended up being more of an angst-written idea ineffectively glossed over and poorly executed.
Xing
Aug 26, 2013 Xing rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So you have a sexy accountant (Austin) and a sexy mechanic (Cam) who are brought together by not-so-very-good circumstances (a kidnapping of 5 months), of which a friendship is formed. Though "friendship" is not adequate to describe the emotional dependency they tend to have for one another, it was definitely the start of what will become a very beautiful relationship.

The story focuses on how these two men deal with everyday life, plain and simple. There are flashbacks that occur from both chara
Heather C
I don't think there are words for me to say how much I loved this story!

You know those books where you immediately fall in love with the characters and it keeps you up all night because you can't break yourself away from the story they have to tell?? Well that was exactly how this was for me. I immediately felt deeply for Austin and Cam and was so impatient for their HEA. They were just meant to be together...the only ones who understood each other.

Yeah, this one was a bit on the darker side, b
Isabel
This book is fabulous, mind-blowing and unforgetable!

Gun or no gun...

The cruelty that those men suffered was devastating, heartbreaking... but the love that was born in captivity was beautiful! Austin and Cam were in hell together, and together they've found peace, love and a fantastic family!

"To hell and back with you"
Runell
Sep 07, 2016 Runell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer
Recommended to Runell by: Erica
So . . . I read a book--this book, in fact--and it was:

and the sex was:

It left me like this:

It also left me really confused:

And oh, the awful things that those men had to go through! It was horrible. And you never find out the reason why Psycho did it all besides the fact that he's psycho. I hope that in the next story that we find out more of why he did it because I really need to know.

And that epilogue? Awwww. Some might not like it because it wraps things up too nicely, but damn, I think Aus
Heller
There is cheating in this read. Heads up if that's something you don't like to read.

3.75

The flashbacks are killer here. What an awful thing all these men were forced to endure and the stories of the men who didn't make it were heart-wrenching. I liked the MC's, Cam and Austin, and how they're not perfect men but very damaged and healing. I didn't like the cheating aspect of the story but it oddly suited the story and I while Austin's wife wasn't totally demonized she was very absent from the mai
Elsa Bravante
Lo leí hace mucho y no podría comentar demasiado. Sí puedo decir que me gustó, y me pareció distinto a todo lo que había leído, muy entretenido. Sin duda, leeré el segundo.
Susan
Mar 05, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm
Re-read March 5 2016

Still so good.

This story starts with Austin and Cam trying to adjust to real life again. It's hard for them to deal with the aftermath of being abducted and tortured for 5 months.

description

They were abducted along with 8 other men and locked in a cellar. Austin and Cam were put in a cell together. They didn't know each other before the kidnapping, but living under these circumstances for 5 months really created a bond.

Four words had become their motto: "Gun or no gun." Regardless of o
  • The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • Antidote (Don't..., #2)
  • Billy's Bones
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Second Chances (Second Chances #1)
  • Safeword (Power Exchange, #2)
  • The Island
  • Slide (Roads, #1)
  • Love is a Stranger (More Heat Than the Sun, #1)
  • Dark Soul Vol. 5 (Dark Soul, #5)
  • Dirty Deeds (Dirty Deeds, #1)
  • Finding Zach (Finding Zach, #1)
  • Chase the Storm
  • Touch & Geaux (Cut & Run, #7)
  • Starfish and Coffee
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • A Casual Weekend Thing (Least Likely Partnership, #1)
There aren't many things better than picking up my Kindle and getting completely sucked into a whole new world—where words morph into images and characters' moods suddenly reflect my own. Aside from good plot and writing, for me, it boils down to relatable characters.

As a writer, I'm not finished until the men and women in my books come to life, until I can see them as real people, until I can co
More about Cara Dee...