The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran

The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  1,106 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran represents the most comprehensive volume of works of the Lebanese poet and philosopher ever published. This enriching collection of stories, prose poems, verse, parables and autobiographical essays comprising the major body of Kahlil Gibran's works have been carefully translated and edited by a noted trio of Gibran scholars... Martin...more
Published October 6th 2009 by Castle Books (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Treasured Writings of Kahlil Gibran

Cara St.Hilaire
If you want something to draw inspiration from on a daily basis, this should be in a place you can access it every single day. I can't say I've finished the book in the sense that I've read it front to back, but when I need a little guidance or comfort, I open to a place that resonates with me at that moment. I can't believe I lived so many years without this book.
Eric Ogi
I recently purchased this book at the general store in my hometown and have not begun a morning without it since. Seriously. If you want a book at your bedside for late-night or early morning reading, this is it. It is a large book at just over 900 pages, but spending an hour or so reading a few poems at a time is the best approach in my opinion. You will not believe the way that Gibran's poetry and prose reach deep into your soul and evoke a song that evades words. Seriously. Do yourself a favo...more
Allween D costa
This was the book, I bought after, I got obsessed with The Prophet. Believe me it is a treasure. Its a book with life, The wisdom and thoughts it holds is explosive, It will uplift you break you make you stare into naked truth, Transform the way you think for ever and throw a light on life of humankind and give you a feel of the mind of a mystic. A must read book for deep thinkers.
Melijo Anthony Chan
*“ I shall be happy when men shall say about me what they said of Blake: “he is a mad man”.*

Gibran romanticized nature and found in it an inspirational power for his poetry. He identified the divine essence with the natural world and established a mystical union with nature, a relationship of love and harmony.
Farah
This contains almost everything ever written by Kahlil Gibran, short stories and poems. My all time favorite is Broken Wings, which I can read over and over again without getting tired of it.
Bonnie
This book is pure inspiration. A man with the heart and soul of a poet and prophet...the loveliest of marriages.
Charles
Great collection of the 'prophets' writings, the only down side is that as thick as it is it is too thin.
Julia
This is a series of Gibran's many poetic masterpieces.
gibran touches on the human Condition in many of its forms and phases with such majestic prose. His philosophical and spiritual expressions of love and life are biblical and prophetic.
I would recommend reading "The Nature
of Love" first(but not necessary)as this is a study of Kahlil Gibran's philosophy and Life,a native Lebonese and much of his work translated from Arabic.
Kandice
Some of the things he writes are so topical, no matter when and where they are set. Other ideas...pretty Utopian and unrealistic. I think that most of the people that really "grooved" on hsi writings in the 60's, 70's were probably a little high on more than life, but it was still nice to listen to.
Katsumi
This is a gem that will make a great bedside read every now and then, a great companion in one's life journey, and a treasure to keep as one embarks on a journey inward.
Shennandoah
He shows the tragic and the beautiful elements of humanity through poetry and prose. He is a poet and a philosopher with a true gift.
Wynnie
Feb 07, 2009 Wynnie is currently reading it
I need to organize notes on what I've read by Kahlil Gibran. Will update this when I flip through and see which books exactly I've read.
Jayanth Akali
One of the best philosophical /poetic works I have read...in times of pain I always go back to Gibran...
Gary
Aug 01, 2012 Gary is currently reading it
I have read a number of Gibran's books & have always wanted to read this one. Amazing!
Deepak S
What a contemplation it brings?.....Beauty
Melissa
Beautifully crafted masterpieces...
Alan Smith
Sorry, guys, I never really got the Kahlil Gibran thing. Sure, I know it's soothing and heartwarming and elegantly written spaghetti bolognaise for the soul and all, but... I found myself laughing in places the author never intended, and falling asleep over the rest of it. If Gibran's writing truly brings comfort to you, then I truly wish you the best and apologize for my levity, but what has to be said has to be said.

However, for those that love the work of this highly regarded (in certain cir...more
Jessica
My favorite: The Tempest, A Poet's Voice, We and You, The Ambitious Violet, A Poet's life is His Death. I actually love all his writings. He writes my soul's song.
Jo Mckay
just buy it and keep it, anyway, anyhow you can.
Ari
Jun 17, 2011 Ari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poems
Buku ini udah lama banget saya baca, kalo ngga salah tahun 2008-an cuma baru sempet update aja :)

Harus mengeluarkan energi yang banyak untuk memahami isi buku ini ditambah dengan bahasa Inggrisku yang kacau balau, jadi bener-bener harus konsentrasi tinggi buat bacanya.
Berminggu-minggu itu baru memahami dan mengerti isinya aja loh ya belum menyelesaikannya :p
Kalo ngga salah lebih dari 2 bulan buatku untuk menyelesaikannya :D

Setelah selesai baca buku ini, hmm....don't know what to say..., what a g...more
Rima
A literary and philosophical genius. A book in my families possession for years - that i discovered when i hit my 20s. Not a front to back read - but a definate source of inspiration.. Specially in winter - on a cosy sofa- fireplace cat and all.
Mikkel Landsdorf
Nov 18, 2007 Mikkel Landsdorf rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with a heart for the world...
There is a reason why Khalil Gibran has been refered to as the Shakespeare of the Arabic world. His writings are amazing, elegant, deep, and words of wisdom in the true sense (sophoi logoi)!
Apr 09, 2008 Sarah added it
Exceleltn book. It has most of Kahlils work in it and great pieces of his literature to read. I often go back to this book for comfort and thought. It is very thought provoking.
Cynthia Flores
One of my favorite writers. He has influenced so much of my thought processing with his words. His work tends to open up new channels of thinking on a soul level.
Xiaomin Zu
another representative of new age spirituality: maybe it's not so new age anyway--every generation thinks they found spirituality.
Cameron
may be better than shakespeare...for those who love beautiful literature, but aren't into old english, it mos definitely gets the nod.
Athena
This is in my top-5 books and one that i will pick up and read a portion at any time, enjoying it as if it is the first time!
Layali
i read it a few years back, but every once and a while i find my self coming back to it, just opening at random and reading.
Busie
it is such a thought provoking read, filled with beautiful and sometimes heart breaking poems and short stories.
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume 1)
  • The Art of Civilized Conversation: A Guide to Expressing Yourself With Style and Grace
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • Secrets of Mary Magdalene: The Untold Story of History's Most Misunderstood Woman
  • Out of My Life and Thought (Schweitzer Library)
  • The Love Poems Of Rumi
  • Magic and Mystery in Tibet
  • Love: Ten Poems
  • Ain't I a Woman! A Book of Women's Poetry from Around the World
  • The Rodale Book of Composting: Easy Methods for Every Gardener
  • Love Poems from God: Twelve Sacred Voices from the East and West
  • Non-Violent Resistance (Satyagraha)
  • Penguins and Golden Calves: Icons and Idols in Antarctica and Other Unexpected Places
  • The First and Last Freedom
  • The Teachings of the Compassionate Buddha
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead or The After-death Experiences on the Bardo Plane
  • Songwriters On Songwriting: Revised And Expanded
  • Essays in Humanism
Khalil Gibran (also spelled Kahlil Gibran; Arabic: جبران خليل جبران) was a Lebanese-American artist, poet, and writer.
Born in the town of Bsharri in modern-day Lebanon (then part of Ottoman Mount Lebanon), as a young man he emigrated with his family to the United States where he studied art and began his literary career. In the Arab world, Gibran is regarded as a literary and political rebel. Hi...more
More about Khalil Gibran...
The Prophet The Broken Wings The Madman Sand and Foam A Tear and a Smile

“Have mercy on me, my Soul.
You have shown me Beauty,
But then concealed her.
You and Beauty live in the light;
Ignorance and I are bound together in the dark.
Will e'er the light invade darkness?

Your delight comes with the Ending,
And you revel now in anticipation;
But this body suffers with the life
While in life.
This, my Soul, is perplexing.

You are hastening toward Eternity,
But this body goes slowly toward perishment.
You do not wait for him,
And he cannot go quickly.
This, my Soul, is sadness.

You ascend high, though heaven's attraction,
But this body falls by earth's gravity.
You do not console him,
And he does not appreciate you.
This, my Soul, is misery.

You are rich in wisdom,
But this body is poor in understanding.
You do not compromise,
And he does not obey.
This, my Soul, is extreme suffering.

In the silence of the night you visit The Beloved
And enjoy the sweetness of His presence.
This body ever remains,
The bitter victim of hope and separation.
This, my Soul, is agonizing torture.
Have mercy on me, my Soul!”
25 likes
“Jesus was not sent here to teach the people to build magnificent churches and temples amidst the cold wretched huts and dismal hovels. He came to make the human heart a temple, and the soul an altar, and the mind a priest.” 16 likes