Start by marking “F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)” as Want to Read:
F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)

F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone #6)

3.89  ·  Rating Details ·  24,912 Ratings  ·  479 Reviews

After all
307 pages
Published (first published 1988)

Steven
Jun 13, 2014 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Great story for Kinsey. Didn't include the regular locale or any of the regular characters other than Kinsey.

Mostly, I was weirded out that for the first time in the series Sue Grafton didn't mention bougainvillea. Strange!!!
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Hayley
Another solid offering from Grafton, though not as good as some of the previous ones.

The premise is promising enough - 17 years ago, a 17-year-old girl, Jean Timberlake, was murdered. Bailey Fowler was imprisoned for the crime after pleading guilty, and then skipped from jail shortly after. Now, after all that time, Bailey has been caught, and his father wants Kinsey to clear his son's name.

Whilst the storyline was interesting and I enjoyed reading it, but I think for the majority of the book,
Julie
F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton is a 2005 publication.

Kinsey is away from home this time around, working a cold case for a man hoping to clear his son’s name before he dies.

Floral Beach is a tiny beachside town, quiet and peaceful, but seventeen years ago, a young woman was murdered. The man accused of her crime escaped prison, but was recaptured. Ken Kinsey discover the truth before he’s sent back to prison?

I am really enjoying reading through this series in order, for a change. Kinsey was
Eva
Jan 27, 2015 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
F is for Fantastic! I enjoyed this installment of Sue Grafton's "Alphabet Mysteries" even more than earlier novels in this series. A sharply crafted cast of wacky characters, an engrossing mystery to solve, and a satisfying conclusion. It took this series a while to get going, but now it is racing like a train out of control.
Alondra
Apr 01, 2014 Alondra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
3.5 Stars

This book reminds me of why I do NOT like small towns. Everyone is in the others business, and the twisted, creepiness of peoples secrets, knows no bounds. I had no idea who the killer was. What a nutcase.

Ed
Feb 17, 2009 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Top-notch entry in the series, for me. P.I. Kinsey investigates an old murder in a small CA town. I liked her eye for detail and toughness in this book. Good interaction with the minor characters.
Ed
Aug 11, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Kinsey Millhone series.

Kinsey Milhone's latest adventure takes her to the small California town of Floral Beach, where she's been hired to investigate a 17-year-old murder. Though innocent of the crime, Bailey Fowler was coerced to confess to it; he escaped from prison soon after his sentencing and lived a quiet life under an alias until the cops picked him up on a fluke and discovered his convict status. Bailey's father Royce, now dying of cancer, hopes Kinsey will find the real murde
LadyCroft86
Aug 17, 2015 LadyCroft86 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting Kinsey Millhone mystery. In this one Kinsey is investigating a murder that is 17 years old and gets hired by the suspects father to look into what really happened. This one has a lot of suspects, basically a whole town full of people that could've done it. The family that hires Kinsey are real pieces of work, sometimes I don't know how Kinsey can manage to keep her mouth shut. Ori Fowler, the mother of the suspect, was a very annoying character. A stereotypical glimpse of what m ...more
Angela
Dec 03, 2010 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 6th book in Grafton's series, Kinsey is hired by a family who's son was accused of murdering his girlfriend over 10 years previously. While he was initially in prison for her murder, he escaped and made a life for himself, most recently being picked up because the identity he stole happened to have a warrant issued on it.

I still struggle with wrapping my mind around what year it is. I'll be reading along and everything meshes with the present, until Kinsey does something that reminds me we'r
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: When Kinsey Millhone first arrives in Floral Beach, California, it’s hard for her to picture the idyllic coastal town as the setting of a brutal murder. Seventeen years ago, the body of Jean Timberlake—a troubled teen who had a reputation with the boys—was found on the beach. Her boyfriend Bailey Fowler was convicted of her murder and imprisoned, but he escaped. After all this time, Bailey’s finally been captured. Believing in his son’s innocence, Bailey’s father wants Kinsey to find Je ...more
Natalie
Sep 29, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Grafton seems to have fallen into a pattern with these mystery novels: Kinsey runs, eats little, gets absorbed into the world of the person she's investigating, finds out things very slowly, things come right together in the end, and she almost gets killed. Without fail, these themes constantly recur. This novel is certainly no different, except Kinsey is not in her home of Santa Teresa, she's out of her element in a small town called Floral Beach. I've read that Grafton's favorite death is in t ...more
Valery
Jun 06, 2016 Valery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of earlier books in the series that I liked better than this one, but all of them have held a consistent level of entertainment for me. This one took place outside of her usual surroundings. As usual, I was on the cusp of solving the mystery but fell short on the details. I tend to get led off the trail by the distracting nuggets she drops to trick us, lol.
Darren
Aug 21, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am now finished the first six books in this series plus one further up in the series. I like how this author writes her books. There is a good story to each one of them.
Emily Randall
Another murder mystery from Sue Grafton, unlike the rest of her books though, this time she is investigating a murder that occurred in the past!

This one didn't really feature many of the normal regulars, there was mention of Kinsey’s neighbour at the beginning...as she was staying with him as a result of her home being blown up in E is for Evidence!!

Some interesting new characters but lacking some personalisation in this one and some of the new characters were a little bit too much!!

I actually
Paula Dembeck
Kinsey has been living with her landlord Henry Pitts after her rented garage apartment was leveled in a bomb blast in the last book in the series. While Henry rebuilds her digs, the time seems to stretch out interminably and Kinsey is quickly becoming stir crazy living with someone else. When Royce Fowler and his daughter Ann come to seek her services, she is glad to be moving on to a new job, this one in Floral Beach, a small picturesque coastal town where the Fowlers own a motel.

Royce Fowler
Lynetta
May 15, 2014 Lynetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
This is good representative of the stories Grafton has done. Jean Timberlake, who was illegitimate and considered "easy" in high school, was murdered when she was a senior in high school.

Bailey Fowler, her boyfriend at that time, admitted guilt. He escaped jail sixteen years ago, adopted the name Peter Lambert, got a job with a clothing company, Needham, worked there twelve years. Alas, there is a warrant out for Peter Lambert so Fowler is caught and is recanting his guilt. His father, Royce Fo
Kerri
Jul 31, 2011 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great audiobook for my commute. Grafton made me laugh out loud at least three times with this one, and giggle many more. Milhone is a character I'd like as a friend in real life, so it's fun to go on these adventures with her. F was a good story all the way through, too, and there were several plausible culprits. I like a story that ties up all the loose ends for me (I'm simple-minded like that), and Grafton is always good for that. Moving on to the next letter the library has on the she ...more
Courtney
Jul 23, 2016 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a weird Kinsey Millhone book. A lot of the ones so far have had a lot of action, some with her traveling around, and a lot more inner dialogue.
Here, we don’t really see her at home except in the beginning, and there isn’t much action until the end.
It was still very good – it was just different and it took some getting used to.
The one difficult thing about reading this book was that I had zero feelings for the family she was helping or even the people in the town she was in. I di
Brown
Mar 09, 2016 Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016

After all this time, Bailey’s finally been captured. Believing in his son’s innocence, Bailey’s father wants Kinsey to find Jean’s real
Judy
Apr 02, 2011 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I liked this installation of the Kinsey Millhone mysteries very well. It had its usual low-life scummy people with whom she has to interact, and some scary situations, but I like how she goes about her investigation -- I think I'd have given up on this one a lot earlier than she did. I especially would never have agreed to eat dinner with that awful family every night! Great ending! And now on to "G".
Weaverannie
Apr 14, 2016 Weaverannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kinsey wordt gevraagd onderzoek te doen naar een moord van ruim twintig jaar geleden. In een naburig dorp aan de kust werd een meisje vermoord. Ze was niet bepaald van onbesproken gedrag en zwanger. Vader onbekend, maar haar vriend werd van de moord verdacht en veroordeeld. Hij vluchtte uit de gevangenis, maar is nu weer terug en zit weer vast. Zijn vader lijdt aan kanker en neemt Kinsey in dienst. Hij gelooft niet in de schuld van zijn zoon. Kinsey kan logeren in het door de familie van haar op ...more
Amy
Sep 18, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's a slender novel. I wasn't expecting much from it, just something diverting. I ended up really liking it. This is the first of this series I have read and (I think) my first Sue Grafton novel. The writing style held me immediately and even though it wasn't a "I can't put it down" type for me, I was held by the storyline and enjoyed the main character.
The start of the book drops you soon after the conclusion of the previous book, so I had no idea why certain things were happening, but that di
Sep 24, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I think this is my favorite book in the series so far!
Dale Safford
Jan 14, 2016 Dale Safford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the characters and the story plot. Involves a girl raised by her single mother whose father is a mystery, which I like that the girl was investigating to discover the father. Thought I had guessed the baby's father early on - wrong!

Seventeen years ago Bailey Flowers pled guilty to the murder of Jean Timberlake, his one-time girlfriend who had just found out that she was pregnant but didn't reveal the father to anyone. Jean had a "reputation". Bailey escaped from prison, and when he is fi
Kathy
Dec 05, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that "E" is for Evidence and "F" is for Fugitive, were both much better than the books that came before them. I am therefore willing to try, at some point next year, some of the remaining books in the alphabet series that I have accumulated.
Helen
Jul 23, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are fun, now that I have finally succumbed. Similar formula to each story: in this one Kinsey is away from her home patch and staying in a small seaside town called "Floral Beach" (the Californian background is enjoyable).
When I worked in a public library in the 1980s we looked at these novels coming out and wondered whether the plan could possibly work, and here we are now drawing to the end of the alphabet, so I'm at last catching up with them. They start in real time but then the actio
Katie Q
Feb 18, 2013 Katie Q rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a rather sad story in so many ways. Showed how families can be easily torn apart. Quite different I thought from the others in the series although just as good. More of a mystery this time than a thriller.
Petula Darling
Feb 22, 2010 Petula Darling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
This book is weaker than the ones that came before it in the series, all of which I gave three stars. It's still too good to only get two stars, so maybe I should bump the other books up to four.
John
Mar 13, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was headed for a month in Baja Sur and found this book on the 10 cent rack by our local library. It was written in late 80's and was one of the author's first books in the series that has gone on for years. Would recommend this earlier one over others that are more recent. The character has that right blend of jaded world weary realist combined with someone who has become sympathetic with those close to her on her private detective work and at home. Enjoyed the humor and character development ...more
*Best Sellers* Bo...: F is for Fugitive 1 1 Aug 14, 2016 07:57PM
The Women's Myste...: F is for Fugitive 1 7 Aug 09, 2013 09:23PM
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

“Lucky is the spouse who dies first, who never has to know what survivors endure.” 25 likes
“Pretending to be 'normal' is a lot harder than you think.” 23 likes