Start by marking “E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)” as Want to Read:
E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)

E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone #5)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  20,622 ratings  ·  420 reviews
It is two days before Christmas when Kinsey Millhone receives a bank slip showing a credit for $5000, but Kinsey has not made the deposit. Then comes the phone call and suddenly everything becomes clear. The frame-up is working and she is trapped.
Audio CD, Abridged, 3 pages
Published September 7th 2007 by MacMillan Audio (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about E is for Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E is for Evidence

Ed
Every few months, I've been checking out a Sue Grafton alphabet title.
"E" now makes for eleven, according to my Goodreads account, that I've read. This week I saw on Goodreads that Ms.Grafton has V IS FOR...coming out (does anybody know what the "V" stands for? Vengeance? Vendetta?). "E" is a compact, peppy, and scrappy entry in the series. In short, it rocked. Kinsey investigates an insurance fraud and gets sucked into a dysfunctional rich family (as the rich families are often depicted in pri
29/10 - Kinsey is so easy to read. Compared to my last book, which was very well enjoyed and earned the same number of stars, I read it in half the time. E is for Evidence is about insurance fraud, starting with a fire at a commercial building. To begin with there is no murder, not for about half the book, which surprised me as A through D have involved Kinsey investigating a missing person who turns out to be murdered or just a murdered person who needs to be investigated. We do, eventually, ge ...more
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
RJ
So far, I've read about half of Sue Grafton's Alphabet Series. This one discloses more of Kinsey's backstory that any of the others. Two characters from her past stir recollections along with powerful feelings.

First is Ash, an old friend from high school. Ash is an unassuming silver spooner who would have remained a long-term friend had it not been for the economic void separating their families. As a teenager, Kinsey was intimidated by the wealth and self-assuredness of Ash's family. As an adu
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Plot/Summary of Book: It was the silly season and a Monday at that, and Kinsey Millhone was bogged down in a preliminary report on a fire claim. Something was nagging at her, but she couldn't pin it. The last thing she needed in the morning mail was a letter from her bank recording an erroneous $5,000 deposit in her account. Kinsey had never believed in Santa Claus and she wasn't about to change her mind now. Resigning herself to a morning of frustration, she phoned the bank and, assaulted by ca ...more
Jennifer Kreft
"G" is for Great Gimmick. I love Sue Grafton's heroine and I plan to read the entire series. Now it's just a matter of getting back into alphabetical order, and that is merely to keep better track of which ones I have read. Another thing to love about Grafton's funny and spunky mystery franchise: They are satisfying in any order--if you happen to be one of those people who shudder at the thought of doing things alphabetically. (Kinsey herself might rebel against being told what book to read next ...more
Randee Baty
This book gives us a lot of insight into Kinsey as well as a good mystery. We find out quite a bit of background on her ex-husband and their marriage which makes Kinsey an even more well-rounded character than she already was. The people involved in the mystery are people she's known for years and again, we see her as a person with history. She's not nearly so dismissive of the social aspects of life, in fact, she wishes she was part of some of them! Nice character development.

This story centers
Suzy
I've read a number of Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, and this year I decided I would revisit them. What prompted me to read "E" is that it's set around the Christmas/New Year holiday. This is the 3rd "Christmas mystery" I've read in the last couple of weeks.

At first I thought this felt a little dated, but was quickly pulled in. It was fun to reconnect with Kinsey Milhone, the scrappy California-based insurance investigator. Lots of Kinsey's back story is included in this one, making it even m
Sandra
Onwards and upwards, I'm continuing on through the alphabet.

I liked this one because Kinsey is forced to defend herself against something more sinister that's trying to kill her.

As with most of Grafton's books, there's always a person who is introduced that never quite gets tied up in the end. I'm a little annoyed with that. They seem to play a major part in the plot and then drop off.

Other than that minor irritation, another good read.
Jessica
Grafton's got a gift for sketching out characters in a fairly brief way but giving them personality and verve, which makes this series continually worth returning to. It's fun to chuckle over the influence of mid-80s technology as well from this oh-so-modern vantage point.
Jeff
Another great read from Sue Grafton featuring her detective, Kinsey Milhone in her alphabet series of mysteries.
After Kinsey discovers a large sum of money deposited to her account that she didn't make, she gets caught up in a mystery involving a family's past that somehow involves her future, her livelihood, and her life. E is for Evidence is an enjoyable read that at times doesn't seem to be about the mystery as much as it feels to be about Kinsey herself.
But that is all right since I very
Addie
I like the Playboy review of this book that says, "Kinsey Millhone is almost perfect." I certainly love her character! Witty, badass and clever. I finished this one and immediately started reading F is for Fugitive. What will I do when I run out of these books?!?!?!
Shelly Sievert
I love the Kinsey Millhone series. Kinsey has spunk and these books are fun to read without having to think too much. I recommend these books to anyone looking for a fun read.
Dana
"E" is for Evidence is the 5th novel in Grafton's Alphabet Mysteries. Thus far, each book's plot has started with Kinsey being hired for a job. However, in "E" the private investigator must unravel a case for herself: someone is framing her for insurance fraud.

"E" is a bit different than the previous books. It's more character-driven, bringing in the past entanglements of Kinsey's ex husband (mentioned briefly in Book 3: "C" is for Corpse), and an old high school friend--who might have somethin
Linda
Another end sequence ((the last sixth or so of the book) that comes out of nowhere plot- and character-wise. This book, 'E,' is the one where I left off when I commenced Grafton's series more than a decade ago, so now I've reread those first five and am ready to move on (should I bother?) with F Is for Far-Fetched...er, I mean, F Is for Fugitive.

Specifically regarding this one: the plot of Kinsey being alone for the holidays and thus more susceptible to an ex-lover reeling her in psychologicall
Anirban Das

The fifth installment of the Kinsey Millhone series by Sue Grafton. In this one, unlike the other books, Kinsey was working on her own to defend herself from being framed in a insurance fraud. The book had all the qualities to be marked as an UNPUTDOWNABLE. All the trade mark qualities of a Sue Grafton was present, funny dialogues, abundance of characters, a lot of leg work and fact finding by Kinsey, and a blistering pace.
But, saying all this, I would still label this book as an adventure. The
Linda
I read Grafton's A-B-C-D back in the '80s when they were released and although I have faithfully acquired every book since then, up to V, I haven't read any more of them until now. I was very pleasantly surprised. I love Kinsey's rather rough exterior, which reminds me of Marcia Muller's character Sharon McCone. Maybe this sort of mystery has been done before but I haven't read one like it.

This is a Christmas-time story. Kinsey, who operates on a shoestring, discovers that 5 grand has been depo
This was the most fast-paced Kinsey Millhone mystery yet. Kinsey's case starts out as a typical investigation of an insurance claim but soon she is suspected of fraud. She must become her own client and get to the bottom of the conspiracy before she ends up dead.

THINGS I LOVED
Kinsey's observations of the world around her never fail to make me laugh, like her comment on a lady's yellow sweater, the color of a not so good urine sample. Later, her lower class upbringing leads her to wipe her hands
Mmyoung
"E: is for Evidence left me feeling "C" is for curious why others so like this series and "I" as in indifferent as to whether Kinsey Millhone ever solves the mystery and clears her name. In fact I felt indifferent as to the fate of any of the characters in the story.
It did leave me wondering whether Grafton wants the reader to realize just how mediocre her detective's skills are. Millhone breaks and enters and she trades information with people who would (and should) lose their jobs for violatin
Kim
Becky
This book was slow. I would like to read the entire series, but I do not think I can handle too many more books like this. The novel starts off with Kinsey working an insurance fraud case and being set up to look like she is helping cover up the fraud. I'm not sure what it would take to make that interesting for me, but this book did not succeed in finding it. I was slightly confused for parts, but I think that may have been due to the fact that I wasn't paying close enough attention due to bein ...more
Connie N.
Another audio book read by Mary Peiffer. She does a good job--I'm starting to think of her as the voice of Kinsey. In this book Kinsey is set up as co-conspirator in arson and insurance fraud so her client is herself. She revisits with old friends, Ashley Wood and her family, facing danger together as she tries to clear her name with California Fidelity. #5 in the Kinsey Millhone series.
İlkim
Seriye garip bir şekilde bağlandım, resmen okumadan duramıyorum. Yine bir kitap okuduktan sonra geri dönmeye kararlıyım. Nedense 80lerde geçen bu soruşturma işleri beni çok çekti. Bir de kısa kısa olduklarından okutuyor kendini.
Tanja
I would actually give this 3.5, but not a strong enough 3.5 to round up to 4 stars, so 3 it is. I should probably save these for when I'm recovering from (upcoming) surgery, but that's what my packed DVR list is for (Revenge marathon, anyone?).
Katie Lee
not so bad for the first time with Grafton's book. Kinsey's characterization is protrayed exquisitely. However, you will not be able to predict anything until you got the last evidence from the key character. I admit that i really like her fast-paced actions in the last chapter, but it would be better if she could reveal more about her thoughts and show more action scene in each chapter. This book is filled with twist plots. Maybe i will go find the 1st book of this series and read them respecti ...more
Donna
Oct 25, 2014 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers
This was the best one of her books so far. I've only red A - E and this one, by far, outshines the others. A for Alibi was the worst and almost made me give up on the series. She usually throws in a few F bombs and there were a couple in this one. This one however didn't make me want to take a week long nap before picking it up again. There were a lot of twists that I didn't see coming like her ex husband coming back.

In this book she has to go look into a warehouse fire for the insurance compan
Lynetta
Kinsey's ex-husband appears and she is brutally cold to him. It was the right move in the end...No one is around during the Christmas holiday and for the first time we view the downside of her independent spirit.

In the first paragraph we learn a $5,000 deposit has been made to Kinsey's bank account. The bad news is it's to set her up in this day before computers and being able to check an account balance at any given moment. This suspicion of insurance fraud leads the company who gives her offi
Jim
There is possibly a whole alphabet of these books now. This was the first I've read and probably the last. It is the story of a Private Investigator, caught up in what seems to be an insurance fraud but turns murderous. The P.I. is Kinsey Millhone, a 32 year old based in California, single after going through two husbands. The second of which, a talented jazz musician turns up suspiciously after going AWOL for several years. The plot was plodding and the characters weren't engaging. Apart from t ...more
Marsha
E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton ( I always want to type 'by Kinsey Millhone') is Excellent! Once again, I didn't see that coming. Some of it, but certainly not the ending. Sue Grafton has a way of showing the individual strands, then pulling them together at the end into a web of lies and deception. Kinsey is a strong and usually likable character. When her attitude changes and her perspective advances, I can see the sign in her experiences. I really am enjoying this series.
Maurean
This was #5 in the series, sort of Holiday Kinsey, set just after Christmas, and into the new year. In this, she is working to clear herself of a bogus insurance fraud case; Altho there is no Henry nor Rosie in this installment (both are on vacation) , we do get to meet up with Kinsey's second ex.

This was an entertaining little read, and I will prob'ly continue on with this series....most likely, will have to go back and read D...
The Women's Myste...: E is for Evidence 1 7 Aug 09, 2013 09:22PM
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • Killing Orders (V.I. Warshawski, #3)
  • Dying For Chocolate (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #2)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) M is for Malice (Kinsey Millhone, #13) J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10) K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11) B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)

“There's a certain class of people who will do you in and then remain completely mystified by the depth of your pain.” 61 likes
“Smile. It gives your face something to do.” 23 likes