Start by marking “G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)” as Want to Read:
G is for Gumshoe  (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)

G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone #7)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,915 Ratings  ·  532 Reviews
A Kinsey Millhone mystery. . .

Good and bad things seem to be coming in threes for Kinsey Millhone: on her thirty-third birthday she moves back into her renovated apartment, gets hired to find an elderly lady supposedly living in the Mojave Desert by herself, and makes the top of ex-con Tyrone Patty's hit list. It's the last that convinces Kinsey even she can't handle whoe
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published September 4th 2001 by Random House Audio (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about G is for Gumshoe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about G is for Gumshoe

Julie
Jun 27, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
G is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton is a 1997, (originally published in 1990), Ballantine Books publication.

In January of this year, (2016), I vowed to get caught all the way up on this series by the end of the year. Naturally, I got side tracked, but I’m still determined to achieve my goal. So, here are my thoughts on the seventh installment of this popular and long-running series.

Kinsey is hired by a frail, sickly women to check on her mother because she has not heard from her in a while. Sounds
Deborah Markus
And now, here is a quick review
Before this book gets overdue.

(I'm a poet and I DO know it, thank you very much.)

Five fun things this particular Kinsey Millhone mystery has to offer:

1. A fun, funny, believable strong female main character who refuses to buy into conventional ideas of femininity.

If I were asked to rate my looks on a scale of one to ten, I wouldn't.

2. Reasonably obscure Brontë references -- perfect for that Victorian-lit nerd in your life! (Can't say more or I'll give away major pl
Petula Darling
Feb 24, 2010 Petula Darling rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
G is for Giant Decrease in I.Q.
Kinsey, what happened? I used to be able to count on you for being one of the few sleuths who didn't make me pull my hair out in exasperation. Reading this book, however, practically gave me a bald spot as you careened from one blatantly bad decision to the next.
I still care about you and plan to read future installments, but I think we need to take a break for a while. It's not me - it's you.
Claire Grasse
Apr 03, 2009 Claire Grasse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Minus a star because I could really do without the peep into Kinsey's sexual adventures. I think the books stand on their own without this facet, and I love to recommend them to friends, but I don't like to recommend books where the characters are cavorting between the sheets. Call me a prude, but I'd rather just read a good, old-fashioned mystery story. Isn't there enough gratuitous sex on TV? Romping aside, Grafton has once again given us a great whodunnit, with her usual crack-me-up, dry witt ...more
Readstoomuch
I have wanted to read this series for ages . . . and how that I've started I can't stop! I intended to read a couple of them and then break away for other books and then return to the Alphabet mysteries later on. Nothing doing . . . I am reading them nonstop (and mixing other books simultaneously ). All the while reading the next Letter of the alphabet and never taking a break from Sue Grafton's fun. :)
Elise Stokes
Sep 21, 2013 Elise Stokes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Just finished "G is for Gumshoe" today. I happen to like Kinsey Milhoune and don't mind that she is stuck in the '80s. Though I enjoyed the story, this isn't the best Kinsey mystery, and I never did figure out what a "Gumshoe" was.
Kim
Jan 07, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This ended up one of my favorites in the alphabet series thus far. I spent an entire day reading, unable to tear myself away from it. I couldn't be satisfied until I made it to the end. SUPER suspenseful! I loved the addition of Dietz! I hoped he and Kinsey would get together. I had huge hopes for seeing him in future adventures. I liked Kinsey even more when they were together. Kinsey always seems so strange...so un-girlish. This was the first time I felt Kinsey gave in and admitted to her fear ...more
Denise Gianelli
Jul 08, 2016 Denise Gianelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gumshoe is an old slang term for detective or investigator. I had to google that word. Enjoyed this murder investigation, the characters and the boyfriend. Fast paced, one of the best in the series so far. Will the boyfriend return? Looking forward to the next book.
Melissa
I love Kinsey Millhone. She is one of my all-time favorite fictional characters. There is just something about her that cracks me up! From her one "all-purpose" dress, to cutting her own hair with nail clippers, to her completely sarcastic tone, I just love her. My favorite quote from this book is when she's talking about the Pacific Ocean and how it is full of "USTs (Unidentified Scary Things)"

This book is one of my favorites. It's got quite a convoluted plot: A Hit Man, a Body Guard, a Missing
Em
Jan 03, 2015 Em rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Beth Peninger
It never was clear why G is for Gumshoe. Maybe I have missed some sort of literary verbiage or crime speak? I found this book to be rather annoying. The story line was strange and Grafton tried to merge two rather large plots into one story. I'm not sure if it worked or not. With the success of her books overall people would say it worked but Grafton has a cult following of sorts, which is the mystery I'm still trying to figure out.
RunRachelRun
If I ever had a test on what I remember from this series, I'd fail. But if I'm stuck in a cabin somewhere and we're snowbound, I'll read it again.
Connie N.
#7 in the Kinsey Millhone series.

Mary Peiffer did another fine job of narrating this book. Her different voices are negligible and her male voices are terrible, but it's all OK because I can tell who's talking when. Since it's all mostly from Kinsey's point of view, there's never any confusion. This one started as a routine search for a woman's mother, checking the poor area of Arizona where she had most recently been living. Kinsey finds much more than she bargained for, though, when she discov
Alison
Aug 19, 2010 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the series
In this installment of Grafton's Alphabet series, P.I. Kinsey Milhone is faced with two dilemmas.

First, she has taken on the case of a woman who's mother has gone missing from her trailer in the Mohave Desert. Kinsey is sent to the desert to find her and bring her back. The elderly woman in her dementia gives Kinsey clues that help unravel some age old family mysteries.

Also, Kinsey learns that there is a price on her head. A criminal that she helped put behind bars is now trying to have her kill
Susan
Jan 24, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-reads
This was actually a re-read of this book for my mystery bookclub, and I must say that I enjoyed the book the second time as much as I did the first time. Grafton delivers another great mystery in her Kinsey Millhone mystery series in G is for Gumshoe. Kinsey finds herself taking what should have been a somewhat simple case that ends up being anything but. In addition to her case, Kinsey finds out that a hit has been put out on her from an old case leading to her hiring a bodyguard, Dietz, as bac ...more
Joanna
Feb 11, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My mother brings me these books when she's finished with them and I read them in case she asks me about them.
They had been okay so far but this one was pretty disappointing. It was just ridiculous and so horribly thought out that I had a hard time getting through it. The unbelievable story about the villian of the tale being awarded unsupervised visitation of his son leading to a kidnapping after they described his rap sheet riddled with violent crime was hard to swallow. Also the many opportun
Darren
Sep 16, 2015 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed this book from my local library. I enjoyed reading it. It was a good book. I like the books in this series so far. I look forward to when I get up to the X book in this series that is currently out now.
Tineke
Feb 12, 2014 Tineke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This might contain some (sort of) spoilers.

Better than I would have expected after reading the first book. Sometimes Kinsey is being stupid and I dont believe for a second that you can run off to do some heroic deed, while a few hours ago you almost got murdered and after this you felt like a zombie. Really, that feeling doesnt wear off so quick. Not that I have ever been almost murdered.
Also, what is it with people to go suck someones face off in a public place, a library for Gods sake. After s
Lisa
Jun 24, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I got this on CD from the library. Why this book is narrated by a 66-year old woman is beyond me. Makes the 33-year old protagonist sound like she's smoked too much. Couldn't get through the first CD.
Tracy
Mar 31, 2009 Tracy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love Kinsey. She's who I am when my instruction in social graces fails -- sarcastic, unconcerned about the opinions of others, nosey, and honestly interested in finding out the truth. How can you not love someone who cuts her own hair with fingernail scissors, jogs faithfully nearly every morning (so she can eat Quarter Pounders with cheese), considers a toothbrush, change of underwear, a gun, and a multi-purpose miracle dress the necessities for any travel bag? I own the entire Sue Graft ...more
Angela
Dec 17, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Grafton's Millhone books because they're so quick and easy for me to read. Once you get past them being stuck in the 80's, you're golden!

In this book, Kinsey's asked to track down her client's mother, who's gone missing. To top it off, she's had a price put on her head and needs to avoid being killed. As the story plays out, it gets fairly intense, but follows true Kinsey fashion.

It's amazing how much trouble she gets herself into every book, but it's not implausible that it would happen
Anne
Mar 26, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying the read. So many letters!!!Yippeee!!!!!! :)
Ed
Jul 05, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#7 in the Kinsey Millhone series. "1991 Anthony Award for Best Mystery; 1991 Shamus Award for Best Novel "

When Irene Gersh asks PI Kinsey Millhone to locate her elderly mother Agnes, whom she hasn't heard from in six months, it's not exactly the kind of case Kinsey jumps for. But a girl's gotta pay her bills, and this should be easy money--or so she thinks. Kinsey finds Agnes in a hospital. Aside from her occasional memory lapses, the octogenarian seems fine. And frightened. Kinsey doesn't know
Tiffany
G is for Gumshoe is the 7th installment of the alphabet mysteries.

It details two unrelated storylines: the disappearance of an elderly woman and a murder-for-hire plot. A bodyguard named Dietz is thrown in too. Each storyline is intriguing but they don't work well in the same novel. I would rather have had 2 separate novels. I particularly found Slab City to be a very interesting setting.

The usual Kinsey-isms (sarcasm, reckless behavior, junk food) were included as well as some new additions (a
Juanita
Review: G is For Gumshoe by Sue Grafton. This novel is not one of Sue Grafton 19s best in this series. I have to say I did like it but there wasn 19t enough thriving suspense or much excitement to be a thriller. The story was ok, it kept me reading but not at a steady pace. I like something that grabs my interest and I can run with it to the very last page. Some of her novels do pull that off for the reader but not this one.

The story was about a criminal in prison who put a hit out on four peopl
Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: "One of the sassiest, most appealing of the recent spate of female gunshoes . . . 'G' is for glorious, galloping read, and I can't wait for 'H' ."--Louise Bernikow, CosmopolitanGood and bad things seem to be coming in threes for Kinsey Millhone: on her thirty-third birthday she moves back into her renovated apartment, gets hired to find an elderly lady supposedly living in the Mojave Desert by herself, and makes the top of ex-con Tyrone Patty's hit list. It's the last that convinces Kin ...more
Lynetta
Jul 07, 2014 Lynetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries

In previous novels Kinsey Millhone has often mentioned her beloved VW Bug which is not elegant but serves her well. The edition of this work I got from the library has her car totally beaten up on the cover! And in reading the novel the goes-everywhere dress is in the car! Dear, dear!

In “F” is for Fugitive her apartment is blown up. In this work she gets to move back in to the space Henry Pitts has renovated. In addition he and Rosie have a surprise birthday party for her 33rd birthday on May 5
Linda
Aug 09, 2014 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really can't believe how poorly written this was. Now, I know I've been less than satisfied, overall, with the Kinsey Millhone series as I've delved back into it this year (after first reading a few of them more than a decade ago, then tapering off, then deciding this year to just read the whole alphabet since she is nearing the end and all...) but usually they're not bad-bad. They're just a little implausible or unsatisfying, but still a quick mystery read, mostly harmless to check out from t ...more
Laurie
Mar 06, 2014 Laurie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In G is for Gumshoe Kinsey is to locate a elderly woman whom her daughter hasn't heard from in six months, but this one has the twist that Kinsey has a hitman after her which seem to make it that much more interesting. Being the smart person she is after getting ran off the road she hires a bodyguard Robert Dietz to protect her. I love the chemistry of the two characters how they solve the mystery that surrounds the missing women and trying to avoid being killed by the assassin.
Weaverannie
May 29, 2016 Weaverannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dit zevende deel over privé detective Kinsey Millhone voldoet weer helemaal aan de verwachtingen: spannend, veel humor, veel verschillende verhaallijnen, die steeds meer in elkaar beginnen te grijpen, het privéleven van Kinsey, met de nodige strubbelingen.
Die strubbelingen zijn in dit deel weer erg groot: een crimineel, die mede door toedoen van de inspanningen van Kinsey achter de tralies terechtgekomen is, wil wraak: hij heeft aangekondigd iedereen te (laten) vermoorden die betrokken was bij
*Best Sellers* Bo...: G is for Gumshoe 1 1 Aug 14, 2016 07:58PM
500 Great Books B...: "G" Is for Gumshoe - Sue Grafton 1 3 Jul 26, 2014 07:40PM
The Women's Myste...: G is for Gumshoe 1 4 Aug 09, 2013 09:24PM
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

“While I'm not a big fan of nature, its intractability amuses me to no end. (Kinsey Millhone)” 3 likes
“...He has all the uncanny intuitions of a psychopath. Have you ever dealt with one? It's almost like a form of mind-reading...” 2 likes