Start by marking “Start Your Own Business” as Want to Read:
Start Your Own Business

Start Your Own Business

Everything you need to start a successful business...except the money. (But we'll show you how to get that, too!)Previous editions of this bestselling book have already helped hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs achieve their dreams. Now, the revised and updated Third Edition is packed with additional advice on new topics, including: How to get new business ideas Secret ...more
Published March 24th 2004 by Entrepreneur Press (first published March 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Start Your Own Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Your Own Business

Chad Warner
I liked Small Business For Dummies, but felt that I should get a second opinion. This book covered many of the same topics as the Dummies book, but seemed to be more detailed, and of generally higher quality. I'm not surprised, because it's authored by the senior vice president and editorial director of Entrepreneur Magazine.

The Dummies book was structured by topic (accounting, sales, taxes, etc.), but this one is arranged by action item (start a homebased business, get business insurance, promo
Jeremy
Jan 27, 2014 Jeremy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs, Business Owners
Shelves: business
I like to regularly look at my coaching business and my investments as if I'm starting anew and bought Start Your Own Business as a standard to check against. It had a few items I incorporated, but is designed for someone starting a business from scratch. Its worth the effort to read before learning by trial and error.
Raynelle Grace
This is a great step-by-step business start up book; but it's 778 pages for no reason. I would recommend "Six-Week Start-Up" over this book. "Start your Own Business" is a better book to have on hand as a reference... "Six-Week Start-Up" is more of a prescriptive book that really provides the steps needed to start a business. I could save you the trouble of either... read my book... here it is -
"Would you like to start a business? Just do it! The End."
Fernando Torre
The book tries to be everything for everyone and fails. It's too broad and too long to be particularly useful. It might be a good starting point for someone with no clue, but not much more than that. It has some good advice and resources here and there, but too many of the topics are covered too shallowly.
Josh Readmore
Jan 28, 2009 Josh Readmore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good introduction to what it takes. However, this book is rather too thick in my opinion, and is perhaps too broad to be truly useful. This book covers all types of businesses from store front services to manufacturing to bars to software concerns and more. While there is much in common between every business, there is much difference, too.
Khachaturian
Jan 16, 2012 Khachaturian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was dumb i already knew all that its for dumbasses who dont know ahow to do there business
Martha
Jun 18, 2012 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.
Nduwayezu
Jan 12, 2013 Nduwayezu marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
this book is very important for me as someone who want to be his own boss
Lori Grant
A must-read book on entrepreneurship for knowledge workers and aspiring entrepreneurs.
Marie Chatterley
Marie Chatterley rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2008
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2008
David
David rated it it was ok
Jan 05, 2012
Rahulumrao
Rahulumrao rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2016
Omar
Omar rated it liked it
May 27, 2015
Gobese
Gobese rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2017
EMAD
EMAD rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2012
Trkstr
Trkstr rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2008
Anar Aliyev
Anar Aliyev rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Fakhre Alam
Fakhre Alam rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Paul Casey
Paul Casey rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Robert Taylor
Robert Taylor rated it liked it
May 10, 2012
Scott Nance
Scott Nance rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2012
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
James Strock
James Strock rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own Business, Keep Your Books, Pay Your Taxes & Stay Out of Trouble (Small Time Operator: How to Start Your Own ... Keep Yourbooks, Pay Your Taxes, & Stay Ou)
  • The Thirty Six Dramatic Situations
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write
  • Understanding and Using English Grammar: Chartbook: A Reference Grammar
  • Internet Riches: The Simple Money-Making Secrets of Online Millionaires
  • Write Right!: A Desktop Digest of Punctuation, Grammar, and Style, 4th Edition
  • English Grammar for Students of German: The Study Guide for Those Learning German
  • Essential System Administration
  • How to Write: Advice and Reflections
  • Setting: How to Create and Sustain a Sharp Sense of Time and Place in Your Fiction
  • Writing the Novel: From Plot to Print
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques For Dramatic Storytelling
  • World-Building