Start by marking “Ice” as Want to Read:
Ice

Ice (Ice Trilogy #1)

Ice is at the center of Vladimir Sorokin's epic Ice Trilogy, which is also published by NYRB Classics.

Moscow has been hit by a wave of brutal murders. The victims are of both sexes, from different backgrounds, and of all ages, but invariably blond and blue-eyed. They are found with their breastbones smashed in, their hearts crushed. There is no sign of any motive.

Drugs, s
Published January 23rd 2007 by NYRB Classics (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice

Peter
May 15, 2009 Peter rated it liked it
Russian Writers have a history of using Science Fiction and Mystery to tell allegorical tales of a society deeply troubled. This is a good mordern example, one that vividly leaves the reader mulling and scrounging for reference points and deeper meaning. It is a good read, a stimulating intellectual adventure.
Ben
Nov 08, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it
The translation could be better, but it still gives readers a good sense of Sorokin's style and dominant themes. A bit of an odd choice to release in English, as it's the first of a trilogy. Still, it stands well on its own, as the story traces the journey of a bizarre cult of 20,000 chosen ones, out to find their brothers by beating people with ice hammers...
Lori
Jun 11, 2007 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2007june
The dust jacket calls this book "a gritty dispatch," "a gnostic fairy tale," "a hard-boiled parable," "a New Age parody, "a bitingly funny fantasy" and "an important novel."

I suppose it's possible it's all of those things. Or any. And I Just Did Not Get It.

It was weird as all get out, yet I keep reading, thinking the whacking-people-with-ice-hammers-to-find-their-heart-voice-or-kill-them was somehow going to start making sense. Instead, it got more confusing, with the blond-haired, blue-eyed Na
Ghiomara Beov
Había leído my buenas reseñas de este libro y la verdad es que no sé si me gusto o no, es como esos libros que te dejan sin saber si fue malísimo o demasiado bueno, es muy raro, entre mesiánico y material. No se quiero leer otro libro del autor para comprender mejor su pluma.
Patrick O'Neil
Um... not sure what is going on here. But I am lost and not going to continue on - that is all.
Livia Lazar
Oct 18, 2016 Livia Lazar rated it it was amazing
What was this beautifully violent and tender rollercoaster? Absolutely amazing and breathtaking.
Lisa Hayden Espenschade
Aug 03, 2008 Lisa Hayden Espenschade rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not much of anyone: people who like postmodernism and brutality
Recommended to Lisa by: Curiosity after Russian scandal
Shelves: read-in-russian
The only reason I gave "Ice" two stars is that I finished the book... "Ice" chronicles the activity of certain blue-eyed, blond-haired people who search for others that look like themselves. When they find them, they bang on their chests with icy hammers. Some hammerees respond by speaking their “true” names through their hearts; they are rehabilitated. The rest, the “empties,” are left to die.

There are many layers to the book that I won’t detail, lest you, too, get sucked into this slippery mes
Julie Salyards
Feb 21, 2010 Julie Salyards rated it it was ok
Rafal Jasinski
Lubię być zaskakiwany, i Sorokin sprawił mi "Lodem" sporą niespodziankę. Dodam, że w gruncie rzeczy pozytywną. Cała środkowa część opowieści, po prostu pochłania i urzeka klimatem, zwłaszcza po - trzeba to powiedzieć - raczej brutalnym, ociekającym wulgarnością i stylistycznie dość prymitywnym, początku. Na szczęście, po połączeniu wszystkich elementów, całość robi niemałe wrażenie, jest spójna i zaostrza apetyt na więcej (a "Lód" jest początkiem trylogii...).

Podsumowując, dobry wstęp do szersze
Bimbo
Mar 16, 2012 Bimbo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Led je razdeljen v štiri povsem različne dele. Prvi del, ki je najdaljši in napisan faktografsko, je tako podzemno črn (veliko nasilja in seksa), da vzbuja odpor, celo gnev (ogorčite se!?). Drugi del je pripoveden, pojasnjevalen, lažje prebavljiv, a še vedno ni jasno, kam pisatelj vodi bralca. Ob obešenjaškem tretjem delu, ki mi je sprožil prve globlje razmisleke, sem se pri sebi občasno, a še vedno bolj grenko nasmehnil. Zaključni del na le nekaj straneh mi je odprl nove razmisleke in vlil zmer ...more
Namrirru
Jul 12, 2007 Namrirru rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian
The story is interesting. The reader can choose his own conclusion whether it's just a crazy cult that victimizes its members into subservience or sci-fi parable about the monotony and anesthetization of globalized culture - that you have to be beaten nearly to death to know what it truly means to be alive? Any which way, it's interesting.

What doesn't work: The meteor. Sorry. Such a massive meteor would have vaporized at impact and would have completely desolated the area within hundreds, if no
Христо Блажев
Синеоки и руси с ледени чукове вилнеят в “Лед” на Сорокин: http://knigolandia.info/book-review/led/
Взех “Лед” на Владимир Сорокин след силни препоръки на приятели, чели доста повече фантастика от мен, особено в по-прежни времена. Историята звучеше пределно интригуващо – хора с отличителни белези руса коса и сини очи млатят с тежки ледени чукове други, приличащи на тях, и сред жертвите си откриват единиците, които не са от тая планета и сърцата им проговарят. Другите, повечето, умират в мъки. Шан
Cenhner Scott
Si este es el primero de una trilogía, yo imagino que la explicación de lo que leí está en los otros dos libros. Este en particular trata sobre la nada. La primera parte cuenta tres veces lo mismo. La segunda parte es un resumen de la historia de Rusia en el siglo XX. La tercera parte es lo mismo que la primera, pero más resumido. La cuarta parte no la entendí.
Le di dos estrellas por eso, porque al ser la primera parte de una trilogía evidentemente hay algo que falta, que no entendí. Pero tampoc
Tim
Dec 20, 2009 Tim rated it liked it
Such a weird book...at times, it read like a grim, bizarre Haruki Murakami-penned graphic novel (meaning: pretty awesome), and at other it read/felt like a crazy (not in a good way), cultish metaphor that I in no way had the culture understanding to parse. An interesting premise (poweful global network smashing people in the chest with hammers...bizarre intentions enabled through vicious means) wrapped in sometime poor translation, (probably purposeful) disjointed vignettes, and general weird/cr ...more
Ren
Jan 01, 2008 Ren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers and/or cold hearts
love is more than sex, but it's still just as much of a mystery as this book.

quick summation: secret sect goes around hitting meteoric ice against the chests of the living dead. living dead awaken and start speaking the language of the heart. all humans are meat machines except this select 23,000.

the story itself is alright, but russian authors are near and dear to my heart. this is sorokin's second book in english translation. would definitely be interested in hunting down the first.
Toby McMillen
Oct 16, 2009 Toby McMillen rated it it was ok
Some kind of strange Russian neo-creationist tale of ice-axe wielding fruitarians made of sunlight trying to find each other...
I kept reading only because I thought it was going somewhere...and it was, but 'somewhere' turned out to be 'nowhere'.
The author and the book seem to have been well regarded by some, so I reserve the right to have simply missed the point. But I tell you this, if there was a point, it was well hidden from my puny intellect!
Ivana
Aug 20, 2013 Ivana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uf.
Táto to kniha je asi výsledkom toho, čo dostanete, keď New Age a ezoterické nápady prevrátite a využijete v románe, ktorý je niečo ako urban-scifi. Sorokin píše majstrovsky a majstrovský je aj Štrasserov preklad, tiež preskajuje medzi spoločenskými vrstvami ľahúčko. Takisto ako poskakuje časom a rôznymi formami. Reklama, recenzia na výrobok, oral history. Všeličo zmiešané a ľadom zlepené.
Našťastie tak nebezpečne modré oči nemám.
Jonathan McKay
May 19, 2011 Jonathan McKay rated it it was ok
An odd satire that depicts new-agey, material self-fulfillment as a fascist project run by fruit and grain eating Aryans who kill thousands of people looking for those whose hearts "speak" and who view those whose don't as disposable "meat machines." Despite being in translation, there are some major flaws here, most notably the heavy reliance on dream sequences and an unnecessarily repetitious plot.
Max
Jan 20, 2008 Max rated it did not like it
I wouldn't say I didn't like it but I was pretty disappointed considering the great review it got in NYRB. I realized halfway through it that it was published by NYRB.
I saw three articles last week in NYT about some author that wrote a novel about Las Vegas. It seemed pretty excessive until I saw that they published his book.
Elise
Dec 06, 2008 Elise rated it liked it
A creepy look into the cruelty of post-totalitarian Russia. Written in a sparse style that gets more and more disturbing the more you read. Replete with physical torture and glimpses of a heaven forbidden to 99.9% of all people.

But the intriguing if disturbing quirk of the plot, almost genius in a way, is ultimately flat and disappointing. This book needed the tension of a protagonist.
Mark
Mar 16, 2007 Mark rated it liked it
Yeah, it's perversely inventive and gleefully dystopic, but, like: “Lapin headed for the entrance. He entered. Went up to the second floor. Walked through the empty smoking room. Walked through the open door of the men’s toilet.” I hope he had a little more energy when he wrote the book about the clones of Stalin and Khrushchev getting it on.
Christine
Jun 17, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
This book was really strange. Part II went on a little long for me, but otherwise, it left me extremely interested and quite a bit confused. I was never entirely sure what the author was trying to tell me, but at the same time, I thought about the book A LOT and that made me give it four stars. Worth reading if just to say WTF after you've finished.
old8legs
Aug 21, 2015 old8legs rated it did not like it
Het onderwerp leek leuk, maar de thematiek is slecht uitgewerkt. Het lijkt gewoon te draaien om een uit de hand gelopen nazistische fantasie over de 'ideale' of uitverkoren mens.

Ik heb sommige stukken gewoon moeten overslaan, omdat het ondraaglijk was.
Kata
May 29, 2010 Kata rated it did not like it
This book doesn't deserve a star. I read it out of two reasons. One, because my mother insisted that I should. Two, my old high school friend brought it on stage. so I read it, and I did not get this contemporary fairy tale. Part I kept my interest, but Part II and the rest, lost my patience.
Morgan Bruyneel
Nov 20, 2010 Morgan Bruyneel rated it did not like it
Shelves: fictie
An almost complete waste of time. Though everything but predictable and with a certain appeal in the sequence of the four parts; the story lacked everything from a plot to in depth charachters. I would strongly advise against reading it.
Seth Peterson
Jun 29, 2008 Seth Peterson rated it liked it
the last two sections of this book (which are only about a quarter of the book's contents, thank god), are boring and an incredible letdown. but it doesn't matter. this utterly bizarre tale of a cultish following searching for the light of creation in people is original and immersing.
Anna
Dec 10, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
I read it, cause I got interested. But it wasn't what I expected. Just a story about blue-eyed blonds with icy hammers.
Frederic Murray
Sep 06, 2008 Frederic Murray rated it liked it
My god this is strange, Naked Lunch kinda strange...Ha..I'm loving it!
Andrew
Mar 06, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: russian
A weird, scattered story about ice, or cultists, or the way people turn from the world in search of something else, or all the above.
Jane
Jul 20, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
Interesting vignettes of contemporary Russian society, but the aryan heart story line was all over the place.
  • The Yellow Arrow
  • The High Place
  • The Ugly Swans
  • Prelude to Mars
  • Moscow 2042
  • Цифровой, или Brevis est (Метаморфозы, #2)
  • The Life Eaters
  • The Dome in the Forest (The Pelbar Cycle, #3)
  • Flesh and Gold (Lyhhrt Trilogy, #1)
  • Dossouye (Dossouye, #1)
  • The Road to Corlay (The White Bird of Kinship #1)
Vladimir Sorokin (Владимир Сорокин) was born in a small town outside of Moscow in 1955. He trained as an engineer at the Moscow Institute of Oil and Gas, but turned to art and writing, becoming a major presence in the Moscow underground of the 1980s. His work was banned in the Soviet Union, and his first novel, The Queue, was published by the famed émigré dissident Andrei Sinyavsky in France in 19 ...more
More about Vladimir Sorokin...

Ice Trilogy (3 books)