Fresh: The Ultimate Live-Food Cookbook

Fresh: The Ultimate Live-Food Cookbook

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Cookbooks need not—indeed, should not—involve cooking, say the authors of this authoritative, beautifully illustrated book. And they should know. Sergei and Vayla Boutenko bring fifteen years’ experience to this collection of scrumptious, sophisticated recipes and comprehensive guide to the raw life.

Fresh covers the whole range of recipes, including savory dishes, desserts...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by North Atlantic Books

Aug 13, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in raw foods
Shelves: food
Although I've only made a few recipes so far, I love this book. The first 50 pages or so contain the story of how the authors, Sergei and Valya Boutenko, came to be raw foodists and how they maintain the lifestyle, along with their recommendations for the most used tools and appliances in raw food preparation. I find the young twenty-something brother and sister team to be very inspiring and feel as if I can relate to them. Their recipes are very accesible; theirs isn't an elitist or dogmatic ap...more
Rama
A fresh-food cookbook

This book authored by brother and sister team offers help for both adults and youngsters interested in healthy cooking. The authors narrate their personal struggle in the fight against obesity and its related illnesses that almost devastated their family. Their parents with sheer determination, courage, and very rigid regimen of fresh food and pure vegetarianism helped their kids to outgrow the addiction to greasy food, and eventually become healthy. This is a wonderful biog...more
Challis
I really like that most of the recipes inhere are made from food I would actually have on hand, or be able to get at my local supermarket and am familiar with. A lot of raw food cookbook recipes call for things I've never used, would have to order online and am not sure how they will taste. These are recipes I can relate to and are not intimidating.
plus Sergei and Valya are wise and sensible people.
Stephanie
Only 13 pages in, but what an interesting treatise on the health/well-being benefits of a raw-food lifestyle. Engagingly written, too! Not by flighty hippies (though I often enjoy those, too). Easy recipes I will begin putting to the test!
Pamela
Very few photos to inspire me, and those were in the center of the book. Interesting story, but not a great book. Recipes were easy enough, but I would have liked descriptions to accompany them. A dry read.
Christina
Super yummy so far! I have yet to encounter a recipe with hard to find or super pricey ingredients, which is a huge plus for everyday meals/snacks in my book!
Heathermommy
Yes, I love to read cookbooks!! - probably my favorite one of the raw books I have read. These books are seriously changing my life.
Ashley
I only wish this had more pictures. The pictures that were included were so wonderful. I can't wait to try out these recipes.
Gyuri Grell
This book has some really good recipes, some of which were quite original compared to other raw cookbooks.
Katrina Morris
One of my favorite "cookbooks" The recipes are easy, tasty, and always good for you.
Robert
Looks like some good recipes in here.
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 03, 2014
Shinyashok
Shinyashok marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Suzanne Moore
Suzanne Moore marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Delilah Olicker
Delilah Olicker marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Danielle Walker
Danielle Walker marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Pips
Pips marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2013
Francisco Rayol
Francisco Rayol marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
Lorene Cobb
Lorene Cobb marked it as to-read
May 28, 2013
Carla
Carla added it
Dec 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Wild Edibles: A Practical Guide to Foraging, with Easy Identification of 60 Edible Plants and 67 Recipes Fresh: The Ultimate Live-Food Cookbook Fresh: The Ultimate Live-Food Cookbook Eating Without Heating: Favorite Recipes from Teens Who Love Raw Food Survivalist Magazine Special Edition Editor's Choice