Start by marking “Zephyr:: Tracking a Dream Across America” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Zephyr:: Tracking a Dr...

Henry Kisor

Zephyr:: Tracking a Dream Across America

A journalist recounts his experiences and the people he met on a trip aboard Amtrak's California Zephyr as it traveled across America's most storied transcontinental rail route. 20,000 first printing. $20,000 ad/promo.
Published February 22nd 1994 by Crown (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Zephyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zephyr

Eric_W
Dec 03, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trains
I love trains! I have taken almost every Amtrak train in the country and many in Europe. Kisor writes about taking the California Zephyr and his experiences as a deaf person. If you ever get a chance to take this train, do it. It travels over two mountain ranges and through some of the most magnificent scenery in the world. There is nothing better than listening to a book and watching gorgeous scenery go by.

In fact, as I write this, I am traveling east on the California Zephyr through one of the
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
This book is a piece of living history like the Zephyr itself. This particular e-book edition has been updated with prologues and epilogues for 2015 which nicely bring a 1994 book into the present. I also like the newer photographs and that he dated all so you had an idea from which trip they came. My only issue reading this on the Kindle is that I know the photos must have otherwise been so much better.

The author is an established writer and the book is very well written. In some chapters, his
Scott
Oct 06, 2008 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This past summer my son Miles, who is 8, and I rode the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver. We had talked about doing it for years. We had a great time just the two of us. It was an experience I'm sure we will remember fondly all our lives. Upon our return I read this book. I really enjoyed it although having taken the train surely made it a better read. When I finished reading it I looked up the author, Henry Kisor, and sent him an email and included a photo of me and my son in the din ...more
Andy
Jun 02, 2009 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Railfans, Travellers
Recommended to Andy by: Railfan
A great book for railfans that want a behind the scenes experience of the operations of an Amtrak long distance train. Lots of fun and lots covered. Kisor even reveals all the quirky and interesting people you encounter on the train. He even devotes a good ten pages to a discussion with a passenger on how a murder could be committed on the train (like in the books) and in turn you learn about other parts of the train and places the California Zephyr goes. Sprinkled throughout the book you learn ...more
Ellen
Mar 15, 2010 Ellen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment. I was looking forward to reading a train travel memoir that took place on a train that I might ride some day. The writing was prozaic at best, mostly pretty boring. The author had the nerve to thumb his nose at my favorite travel writer; Paul Theroux. I did glean some facts from this book, but there was no joy in reading it.
Anne
Jan 04, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heard this book on Chapter a Day on Oregon Public Radio years ago and I still think of this book from time to time. Good for anyone who loves trains, and also those who are interested in deaf culture (the author is deaf.)
Martha Boetcher

Train lore, history and travelogue are interesting. Comments on geography are good. This would be a better book if the editor would have cut the imagined murder mystery.

Lynn
Another book from my grandpa. He loved to travel and loved trains. I would love to travel the world on trains someday just for him.
Stephen
Oct 07, 2014 Stephen rated it really liked it
Probably the only flaw to this book was the murder mystery part. Luckily, the writer formats in such a way that they are easy to skip.
Mike Walker
Mike Walker rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2014
David Kneebush
David Kneebush rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2015
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
Tony Swain
Tony Swain rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2015
Michael Burke
Michael Burke rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
BILL BECKER
BILL BECKER rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2014
Paul Bauer
Paul Bauer rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Marie Botcher
Marie Botcher rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Matt Brenner
Matt Brenner rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2009
Markwo
Markwo rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2009
Robin B
Robin B rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
James H.  Ranniger
James H. Ranniger rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Denis
Denis rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Dutchy
Dutchy rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2010
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2016
Scott Hoosier
Scott Hoosier rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2010