Blank-133x176
Zephyr:: Tracking a Dr...

Henry Kisor

Zephyr:: Tracking a Dream Across America

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A journalist recounts his experiences and the people he met on a trip aboard Amtrak's California Zephyr as it traveled across America's most storied transcontinental rail route. 20,000 first printing. $20,000 ad/promo.
Published February 22nd 1994 by Crown (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Zephyr, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zephyr

Eric_W
I love trains! I have taken almost every Amtrak train in the country and many in Europe. Kisor writes about taking the California Zephyr and his experiences as a deaf person. If you ever get a chance to take this train, do it. It travels over two mountain ranges and through some of the most magnificent scenery in the world. There is nothing better than listening to a book and watching gorgeous scenery go by.

In fact, as I write this, I am traveling east on the California Zephyr through one of the...more
Scott
This past summer my son Miles, who is 8, and I rode the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Denver. We had talked about doing it for years. We had a great time just the two of us. It was an experience I'm sure we will remember fondly all our lives. Upon our return I read this book. I really enjoyed it although having taken the train surely made it a better read. When I finished reading it I looked up the author, Henry Kisor, and sent him an email and included a photo of me and my son in the din...more
Andy
Jun 02, 2009 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Railfans, Travellers
Recommended to Andy by: Railfan
A great book for railfans that want a behind the scenes experience of the operations of an Amtrak long distance train. Lots of fun and lots covered. Kisor even reveals all the quirky and interesting people you encounter on the train. He even devotes a good ten pages to a discussion with a passenger on how a murder could be committed on the train (like in the books) and in turn you learn about other parts of the train and places the California Zephyr goes. Sprinkled throughout the book you learn...more
Ellen
What a disappointment. I was looking forward to reading a train travel memoir that took place on a train that I might ride some day. The writing was prozaic at best, mostly pretty boring. The author had the nerve to thumb his nose at my favorite travel writer; Paul Theroux. I did glean some facts from this book, but there was no joy in reading it.
Anne
Heard this book on Chapter a Day on Oregon Public Radio years ago and I still think of this book from time to time. Good for anyone who loves trains, and also those who are interested in deaf culture (the author is deaf.)
Martha Boetcher

Train lore, history and travelogue are interesting. Comments on geography are good. This would be a better book if the editor would have cut the imagined murder mystery.

Lynn B.
Another book from my grandpa. He loved to travel and loved trains. I would love to travel the world on trains someday just for him.
Nate
Nate marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jennifer Parry
Jennifer Parry marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 22, 2013
Akiko
Akiko marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
George A.
George A. is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2013
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2012
Yinzadi
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2012
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Bob
Bob added it
Feb 23, 2012
What's That Pig Outdoors?: A Memoir of Deafness A Cache of Corpses (Steve Martinez, #3) Season's Revenge (Steve Martinez, #1) A Venture into Murder (Steve Martinez, #2) Hang Fire (Five Star Mystery Series)