Start by marking “The Bermuda Triangle” as Want to Read:
The Bermuda Triangle

The Bermuda Triangle

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  687 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Bermuda Triangle
Published September 1975 by Avon Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Bermuda Triangle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bermuda Triangle

Rambler
While the book began as a good recounting of the disappearances of the various ships, planes, and people in the Bermuda Triangle, after the first five chapters the author branches off into so many ludicrous theories involving ancient civilizations and aliens that it was hard to get through one paragraph without rolling my eyes.

B. Jay
This 1973 examination of the Bermuda Triangle starts off as a scientific and factual examination of the myth and events that led travelers to request flights that avoided the western Atlantic ocean, but quickly descends into campy theories that makes the book hard to take seriously. Nonetheless, Berlitz treads the line between science and science-fiction in a way that makes both interesting. There is enough credible research to make you doubt the naysayers and actually get a little creeped out a ...more
Emily
Although most of the sensational "mysteries" and disappearances of ships and airplanes in the "Bermuda Triangle" have since been proven to be the result of either human error or ordinary bad weather, this is still an entertaining read. For a while. After running to the computer every few pages to check on recent developments in the searches for these crafts and finding out that either wreckage has been found, or that recordings of distress signals have been digitally enhanced and turned out to b ...more
Neer
An engaging account of the unexplained mystery of the triangle.

More here:

Jim Razinha
I can't give this the one-star it deserves, despite it being throughly saturated with stupid. It's actually a great illustration of the kind of crap that 20 million bought into, and are still buying into today (think Fox"News", Breitbart, Alex Jones, and even more from an unfortunately lengthy list...). Why read it now? Well, not all of my Year of Nostalgic Re-reads are fiction. I read this back in 1974 or 75, which put me at 13 or 14. I was intrigued, at the time. Of course, while on the path o ...more
Nandakishore Varma
This was the first book of this ilk I read, and I read it while still in college, so I was enthralled by it. I would have given it 5 stars had I reviewed it in those days! But since then, I have come to realise that most of these "conspiracy theories" are based upon very nebulous evidence at best, and out-and-out hoaxes at worst.

Still, giving it 3 stars for entertaining me. However, I would recommend it only if you enjoy crackpot theories.
Michael
Not a bad read. You need to take into consideration that it was released in 1973. (The version I read was printed in 1975, the version pictured here is from 1978). Of course technologies have changed dramatically. But the accounts of the plane/ship disappearances it pretty interesting. And even though the latter part of the book fades off the subject, it does discuss some very interesting phenomenons of history. Like the giant carvings in Peru that can only be viewed in their entirety from up in ...more
Jim Townsend
An extremely interesting nonfiction book about the strange disappearances in and around the Bermuda Triangle, this brief (208 pages) hardcover that I purchased at a library book sale discusses known disappearances and other anomalies (such as maelstroms or whirlpools) within a region of the Atlantic Ocean that the U.S. Navy doesn't officially recognize. Several theories explain the strong magnetic forces at work, including the idea that it is one portal to Hell (the Sea of Japan is said to be th ...more
Aniket Mahajani
Exciting & Thrilling reading all through the book, the author has written another book after this called Ocean Triangle which is also a horror. I read these books in my school days when my mind got completely occupied with a fright for these haunted places. There may be actual Bermuda & yes it is there & things might have happened there for a coincidence still the language in the book is enchanting & ties you with the book completely.
Stephen
The first few chapters are excellent case studies and recaps of famous disappearnces. They are well written, but after that things take a wrong turn at the theory page. The author jumps to the many crazy ideas like time warps, black holes, Atlantis, and other odd things. I liked the book, but the wierdness at the end kind of spoiled it.
Der_m
Nov 24, 2007 Der_m rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal freaks
I really enjoyed this! The Bermuda Triangle is an oft-forgotten mystery for us twenty-somethings, and I was thrilled to see the first edition paperback at St. Vinny's for $.50! Berlitz does a great job of expanding on the legends, citing the very authoritative sources, and speculating on the possibilities. His speculation leads to unusual conclusions, as well. He brings up the haunting Sargasso Sea (which is eerily reminiscent of an episode of Duck Tales), the peculiar nature of the oceans, simi ...more
Sonya Watkins
Way too much about theories of aliens capturing planes and ships. Also seemed to include an inordinate amount of info on ancient civilizations(Atlantis) and theories of advanced ancient technologies causing interference within the triangle. All in all, I enjoyed the first three chapters, which consisted of historical facts, and could have done without all the theory b.s.
Scott
This book was very interesting. It details some of the mysterious disappearances of ships, and planes within the Bermuda Triangle. It also offers up some theories to explain whats going on. This is a very old book but to my knowledge none of the planes or ship disappearances describe in this book have been explained. I found it particularly interesting that Christopher Columbus had some experiences when crossing the Sargasso Sea. He wrote about his compass going haywire and seeing glowing lights ...more
Kaethe
Oh, mysteries, strange events, inexplicable occurrences. Now I know that the whole Triangle idea is bogus, but at the time, I thought this kind of stuff was so cool.
Bob Jr.
Yes it's ludicrous. Yes it's like the worst of In Search Of..., but nostalgia colors my view and I still enjoy the almost earnest outlandishness of the whole thing.
Leonardo
¡Jaja! ¡Que increible! Cuando tenga que contarle a mis hijos que yo de joven leía lo que llegaba a mis manos, que no podía elegir demasiado lo que leía y no me crean les voy a mostrar que alguna vez hace mucho tiempo, leí este libro. Obviamente ni me interesaba ni nada, pero era el que había en casa para leer. ¡Y gracias a Dios que en casa había bastantes! No es que eramos pobres ni nada, simplemente que hace no tanto tiempo el acceso a material de lectura era significativamente menor. Hubo un t ...more
Nerrydamian
Feb 21, 2014 Nerrydamian marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
im a kid but ilove mystery
Lucy Quinn
That was crazy! I stayed up all night to finish this. Really, an awesome book! *O*
Mia
I'm a dork and like crazy conspiracy books, just to see what the crackpots think, and someone bequeathed me a giant stack of them from the early 70's. Man! These books are written SOOO terribly but I can't look away!

This book in particular was 1,000 shades of sad. The writing was hack-y but also it had no cohesion at all. It went from "disappeared" ships in the Bermuda Triangle straight to ancient astronauts. What? I still kind of liked it though.
Paul
Back in High School I went through a huge phase of reading all these sorts of books: the Loch Ness Monster, UFOs, Pyramid power. While it's been so long since I've touched it I can't remember much of it's style, but there was lots of details of ships and planes that went missing as well as various theories into what caused it. There was even a SF TV series in the 70s about how the Bermuda Triangle was a nexus for gateways to alternate timezones.
Daniel
It was quite an experience to read a 40 year-old book about the Bermuda Triangle. I read an old Hebrew translation of it, which was archaic (I should have known) and badly edited, and that ruined it for me a little. The book could have been shorter had the author hadn't exaggerated with history and archeology and focused more on the subject matter (it WAS interesting, but I think it could have been a subject for a different book).
11811 (Eleven)
A character in Stephen King's The Langoliers mentions this book. It has all sorts of crazy theories mixed with recorded facts. I can't help feeling somewhat haunted by the alleged last words of a pilot whose airplane disappeared or dematerialized in 1945 - "Don't come after me. They look like they're from outer space."

The four other planes with him also disappeared. So did the rescue plane sent to find them.
Sergio ruocchio
un’incredibile saga di inspiegabili sparizioni – 219 pagine
Autore: Charles Berlitz
Sperling & Kupfer editori
Pubblicato in 16 edizioni, ha venduto circa 500.000 copie in edizione originale e 2.750.000 copie in edizione economica.
Tradotto e pubblicato in Finlandia, Francia, Germania, Giappone, Inghilterra, Israele, Olanda, Portogallo, Spagna, Stati Uniti, Svezia e Turchia.ha fatto la storia del mistero del '900
Carlos Bourgeon
La verdad es que lo lei hace mas de 25 años, en ese entonces tendria unos 15 años y era "joven e impresionable" :-D, por lo que recuerdo que me gusto, tendria que volverlo a leer para ya tener una mejor vision, pero como no tengo tiempo para eso, lo dejaremos en un "bueno". :-)
Natajia
Charles Berlitz. Here is a guy with some pretty interesting theories. They may be kind of EXTREMEEEE, but when you have boats and airplanes disappearing without a trace, then WHY NOT??

While he does skip from theory to theory, i really enjoy Charles Berlitz. :D
Lance
A sister brought this one home, claiming that the Bermuda Triangle was A Wrinkle in Time. After doing my own research, I concluded that the Sargasso Sea stuff was legendary, but the rest was someone trying to make a buck selling a book.
Michael  Baggetta
I enjoyed this 1974 book which describes the so many unexplained events that have occurred in this graveyard section of the Atlantic up to 1974.I would like to read another one that covers from 1974 to the present!
Shirvan
This book is so silly! I love how he just goes off on wild tangents. Most of the book (save for the first few chapters) has little or nothing to do with the Bermuda Triangle, but it's still entertaining.
Bermuda Triangle 1 7 Jan 23, 2013 05:51AM
  • The Wars of Gods and Men (Earth Chronicles 3)
  • The Mystery of the Crystal Skulls: Unlocking the Secrets of the Past, Present, and Future
  • The Stargate Conspiracy
  • Mysteries of the Unexplained
  • Into the Bermuda Triangle: Pursuing the Truth Behind the World's Greatest Mystery
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • Psychic Discoveries Behind the Iron Curtain
  • Alice in Wonderland and the World Trade Center Disaster
  • Spear of Destiny
  • The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • Inside the Neolithic Mind: Consciousness, Cosmos, and the Realm of the Gods
  • Conquistadors
Born in NYC, Berlitz was the grandson of Maximilien Berlitz, who founded the Berlitz Language Schools. As a child, Charles was raised in a household in which (by father's orders) every relative & servant spoke to Charles in a different language. He reached adolescence speaking eight languages fluently. In adulthood, he recalled having had the delusion that every human spoke a different languag ...more
More about Charles Frambach Berlitz...
The Philadelphia Experiment Atlantis:  The Eighth Continent Native Tongues World of Strange Phenomena The Roswell Incident