Start by marking “Deep and Simple: A Spiritual Path for Modern Times” as Want to Read:
Deep and Simple: A Spiritual Path for Modern Times

Deep and Simple: A Spiritual Path for Modern Times

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  52 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
In a deep, simple, and clear voice, Bo reminds us all that no matter where we are as human beings, whether in suburbia or on death row, there is a goodness inherent in the human spirit. We all matter, we all count, and we are all able to make a difference.
Published January 1st 1999 by Human Kindness

To ask other readers questions about Deep and Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep and Simple

Morgan Siem
Oct 24, 2013 Morgan Siem rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-live-by
Sacred Bagels:

"During our meeting with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, I put all my attention into being present, open and receptive in the presence of such a great spiritual elder. I tried to look practically - 'He's got two legs, two arms, a head, a nose. We both wake up in the morning, both go to sleep at night. What is the real functional difference between his experience and mine?'

One of the things I noticed is simply that he's 'full-time.' You and I may go to a church service or spiritual ret
Doni
Apr 15, 2015 Doni rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is a book that Mr. Rogers would often buy to give people. It was really fun to learn a bit about the ideology behind his practice.
Kate
Sadly, the world lost Bo Lozoff in November of 2012. He died in a motorcycle accident in Hawaii. So I write this in his memory. Namaste, dear Bo.

Bo, having once been in trouble with the law himself, dedicated his life to assisting prisoners--helping them see their humanity, and the humanity of all those around them. It doesn't take long to realize that the woes and dilemmas of prisoners are the woes and dilemmas of all of us, writ large. Bo's messages to prisoners apply to anyone. As the title
Terrie
Feb 07, 2015 Terrie rated it it was amazing
Mister Rogers loved this book and gave it to many people, that's what caught my interest. This will be a book I will pick up again and again; maybe just to read a few pages here and there and at other times to reread the entire book.

“The cause of all our personal problems and nearly all the problems of the world can be summed up in a single sentence: Human life is very deep, and our modern dominant lifestyle is not.” – Bo Lozoff
Alycia
Mar 29, 2014 Alycia marked it as to-read
Apparently Mr. Rogers thought a lot of this book.
Diana Pettis
Jun 01, 2013 Diana Pettis rated it really liked it
Thank you Marjorie for recommending. I read this all in one day. I really enjoyed it and see how I can put some of the practical tips to use. It also gave me some new thinking to consider.
Jen
Mar 06, 2015 Jen rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Apparently this is the book Mr. Rogers used to give to people to read...I can see that.
Darren
Darren rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Clare Redden
Clare Redden marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Jeannine Shea
Jeannine Shea rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
DiannaLaurent
DiannaLaurent marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Kathleen Bean
Kathleen Bean rated it it was ok
Apr 28, 2016
Brian
Brian is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Tyler Hochstetler
Tyler Hochstetler rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa added it
Mar 27, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Kenneth Edwards Jr
Kenneth Edwards Jr marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Arturo Pina
Arturo Pina marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Alfredo Rosales
Alfredo Rosales marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Janice Doyama
Janice Doyama marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Maureen
Maureen is currently reading it
Jan 14, 2016
Megan W
Megan W marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Bridgette Farmer
Bridgette Farmer rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Victoria Mendez
Victoria Mendez marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Writing from the Center
  • Way Below the Angels: The Pretty Clearly Troubled But Not Even Close to Tragic Confessions of a Real Live Mormon Missionary
  • Shopping for Buddhas: 25th Anniversary Edition, with a New Preface by the Author
  • The Spiritual Life of Children
  • The Gifts of the Body
  • How Can I Help? Stories and Reflection on Service
  • The Pit Bull Placebo: The Media, Myths and Politics of Canine Aggression
  • The Princess and the Dragon
  • Should You Leave?: A Psychiatrist Explores Intimacy and Autonomy--and the Nature of Advice
  • A Tree for Peter
  • The Friendship Fix: The Complete Guide to Choosing, Losing, and Keeping Up with Your Friends
  • A Dream Foreclosed: Black America and the Fight for a Place to Call Home
  • House Calls: How We Can All Heal the World One Visit at a Time
  • The Knowing Heart: A Sufi Path of Transformation
  • Walk Out Walk On: A Learning Journey into Communities Daring to Live the Future Now
  • Off the Books: The Underground Economy of the Urban Poor
  • The Great Path of Awakening: The Classic Guide to Lojong, a Tibetan Buddhist Practice for Cultivating the Heart of Compassion
  • Illuminations of Hildegard of Bingen